BUILD YOUR OWN WORLD Like what you see? Become the Master of your own Universe!

Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild

Tolaran Standard

Trade & Currency in Tolara


When the Astrantia Charter was signed in Tolara in 6428, it did much more than any other document signed up until that point in Tolaran history; in addition to establishing the three sovereign nations of the continent (Eris'ka, Di'Kae Milona, and Ar'Lasang Vaerda'Ky), it also awarded the various Guilds of Tolara a high level of independence from the control and manipulation of these nations- as well as their own autonomous region (Gwyn Tira'Kie).   Wanting to avoid the hassle plaguing other countries around the world, however, the new Tolaran sovereigns took it one step further; deciding against minting their own unique currencies, they instead opted to produce a standard- a unit of currency that all nations could agree upon, which would be accepted regardless of nation. The result was a complex series of rules dictating acceptable materials, minting processes and requirements, and designs, as well as their standard value and uses- now known around the world as the Tolaran Trade Standard.

Manufacturing

  The Tolaran Standard, as established by the Astrantia Charter, uses Copper, Silver, Gold, Gems, and Platinum coins in order to determine the value of products and facilitate their exchange. All such coins are made from metals except one, Gems, which are carved from common gemstones (as the name suggests).   Regardless of the material they're made from, the value of each is based on the rarity of the material used, by weight- with Copper being the most plentiful, and Platinum the rarest. For that reason, all coins minted must maintain at least 99% purity; the other 1% is allowed for impurities which can't be refined out of the manufacturing material.
Item type
Trade / Manufactured good   Purpose
Universal Exchange Currency   Rarity
Mixed, but mostly Common   Production
Saethar'Kori; Gwyn Tira'Kie, Tolara

Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild

Cover image: Trinity College by Henry Be

Comments

Author's Notes

Read Before You Comment

I absolutely love getting feedback on my setting and its worldbuilding. I love it even more when people ask questions about the things in it. I want both. I encourage both. And it makes me incredibly giddy whenever I get either.   However, there's a time and a place for critique in particular- mostly when I've actually asked for it (which usually happens in World Anvil's discord server). And when I do ask for critique, there are two major things I politely request that you do not include in your commentary:   ➤ The first is any sort of critique on the way I've chosen to organize or format something; Saleh'Alire is not a narrative world written for reader enjoyment... It's is a living campaign setting for Dungeons and Dragons. To that end, it's written and organized for my players and I, specifically for ease of use during gameplay- and our organization needs are sometimes very different than others'.   ➤ Secondly, is any critique about sentence phrasing and structure, word choice, and so on; unless you've found a typo, i've blatantly misued a word, or something is unclear because of how I've worded it? Then respectfully: Don't comment on it; as a native English speaker of the SAE dialect, language critique in particular will almost always be unwelcome unless it's absolutely necessary.   If you want to ask questions, speculate, or just ramble? Go for it! Praise, of course, is always welcome too (even if it's just a casual "this is great")- and if you love it, please don't forget to actually show that love by liking it. Because I genuinely do enjoy watching people explore and interact with my setting, and ask questions about it, and I'd definitely love to hear from you... Just be respectful about it, yeah?


Please Login in order to comment!
7 Dec, 2020 10:26

While I generally dislike this particular model, I absolutely love that you not only stand by it, but you made it an actual, in-world narrative concept. So many worlds just automatically adopt the DnD currency system without really reflecting on it. You really tied it into to the world.   Awesome!

Author of prize-winning RPG settings Dark Shadows and Cinders of the Cataclysm. Designer of the narratively focused CD10.
7 Dec, 2020 11:28

My big thing was that I really don't want to fuck with DnD's default systems too much where it can be helped, because it's hard to remember significant modifications to rules most people are familiar with. I just want to expand on things and make them naratively and conceptually relevant to the setting in ways that were easier to remember; I think the mods to the system did it fairly well ^_^