All participants will receive the participation badge. The winner will receive an extra shiny badge, have their article featured, and will be shouted out on the weekly World Anvil update stream
and on the official World Anvil social media accounts.
We want to hear about the death of a person in your world, be they famous or not. The catch is that death has to enhance or start the legend that they are known for. Perhaps you have a martyr in your world, totally unknown in life but whose sacrifice started a massive change. Perhaps a great general who sacrificed himself to save an entire planet?
Tell us about the history of this character, were they known or were they enigmas? Tell us about how they perished, was it brutal or peaceful? Was it a well known affair or was the death a quiet whisper at the time? Describe to us what this death meant to the world! How do people celebrate or mourn the event that transpired?
Bonus points for a timeline of the events leading to the death!
What to cover
- History: What was the life of the legend like? Did they come from nothing? Did they start at the top?
- Death: What transpired in their death? What were the circumstances around it? Who witnessed it? Who killed them?
- Legend: What did their death leave behind? Was the death instantly a spark for a legend? Did the tale grow as people learned more about it? What do the people remember about the death?
- Remembrance: How do others remember the death today? Do they celebrate? Do they have a holiday in their honor? Do people drink to their death, toasting and reveling in their downfall?
How to Enter
Firstly, all competitors will need a World Anvil account
(don’t worry, it’s free!) to get started. Once you’ve logged in and created your first world, you’re ready to enter the competition.
Write your entry using the Myth/Legend template on World Anvil. Once you have finished your entry and are ready to submit it, make sure that your article is not a draft and then click on the button on the right hand side to submit it to the challenge.
Adjudication Criteria and Process
A shortlist of the top twenty
entries (as organised by community likes and ten from each league
) will be compiled by the Master of Games. The master of games will choose the winner. The winner will be announced by the World Anvil Team on the following weekly update stream (6th of April)
Entries will be judged on a number of criteria, including originality, presentation, and thoroughness.
- Articles for Submission must use the Myth/Legend Template
- You do not have to use all fields of the Myth/Legend Template
- Articles must be submitted before the closing time, else they will not be judged
- Articles will be taken from a shortlist of likes, the top ten from each league will be judged by the Master of Games.
- Articles can be no longer than 1500 words in length!
- You will be able to submit your article only if it is public!
- Only one article may be submitted per author, this does not mean one article per world. Think of the Coauthors!
- Articles will have a three day period after the deadline to make small edits, share, and get feedback from the community. This period will end when the shortlist is compiled. The purpose of this deadline is to let people focus on writing and sharing separately.
Social media sharing
Because community likes are an important part of the competition, competitors may wish to share their entries on social media to garner more interest from the community. Entries which are tagged with #DeathofLegend and mention @WorldAnvil will get shared by World Anvil social media accounts.
There are two
leagues that will be independently judged. The Regular and the Premier League. The Premier League consists of all the authors who have previously won a competition.
Winning a competition in the regular league will promote you to the Premier League for future challenges.
For March's Competition, it will be open on the 16th of March at 1300 GMT and closed on the 27th at 0300 GMT. The Shortlist will be compiled on the 30th of March!
This Countdown Clock is set to when the Challenge will end!