Getoh is an acclaimed Totanian playwright and actor, as well as the only truly immortal man in existence. He is a Lizardfolk who was cursed with Life Magic from his God, yet uses it to pursue art and truth. What he calls the meaning of life.
The Artist's LifeThe brilliant artist Getoh was born long before there was record, or rather, all records of that long ago have been long destroyed. For a man who makes such detailed accounts, many expect Getoh to know his true date of birth. He refuses to elaborate on this, with a passage in his play The Korvian's Folly being a very clear allegory for this,
"I am Korvian. I live a short life, and must live in the moment. Why should I think of my past? I already know it! So I must dedicate every moment to my present, my future, and what I can learn with the time I have."Getoh's first work is dated in -1364 with the tale of the Sandman. This was the first performance of the show, featuring an Earth Jinn who tricks a Dwarven boy named Klaus into following his instructions, as the rest of Klaus's town begins to fall into a deep dream. The play toys with what is a dream and what is reality, with Getoh's Sandman claiming that reality is only found in the dream. Here is a famous passage, where Sandman puts Klaus to sleep. This also features Getoh's signature iambic pentameter style, also known as verse, which is present in many of his plays. It consists of lines of ten syllables, or five Iambs, with one unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable.
"Trapped in dream, or trapped within your own life,
The question unimportant 'fore the truth
For you are trapped, and I, your savior, free.
Wake, O cursèd one, to reality,
Wake, that thou may face thine dream with penance."
First RoleGetoh did not believe he could play the main character of Klaus, as he did not appear to look like a Dwarf, so his first role was that of the titular part of Sandman. Many reviews say his delivery of the lines was moving but clearly the performance of a writer, not an actor. He has since worked to improve this.
After the ShowGetoh performed this show with a company of people he loved. He didn't mind the negative reactions some people had, because it was performed with love. However, when the troupe was asked to perform for the Priests of the Lizardfolk God of Survival, Kadakalan, tragedy struck. A tragedy even beyond those written by Getoh. The Dragon Lord Reoma the Wretched attacked and killed the actors with Getoh. It was only Getoh that survived. In the rubble, amidst the people he loved. He questioned how and why. But he had his answer: Item Magic. At some point, without realizing it, he had picked up an item that granted him the Holy Might of Kadakalan. The power to survive anything. Some say it must've been a fellow actor who gave it to him without him knowing, as a gift of their love and for his work. He would never be able to die, he could live forever and tell stories. But he did not want that.
Famous WorksGetoh has many plays, of which he has written in their entirety and performed in. These plays are of all sorts of different cultures and their oral history, be they true historical tales, folktales, or even stories he made up based on the culture. He puts heavy study into them, and thus is able to make incredible works such as:
- A Dreamless Sleep- The Story of the founding of the Kingdom of Man, with the first Human King Gellark Lionrage and the first Court Wizard Varth Dreamless, and Varth's sacrifice of his life and freedom for Humanity.
- Sandman- A Dwarven tale of a man who tries to escape his fate, but ends up falling right into it and, in so, a dream that never ends.
- Auravir and Jennadyl- Auravir and Jennadyl is the most famous love story in the world, the tragic tale of a High Elven man named Auravir and a Dwarven woman named Jennadyl. Their love is taboo, as the two races are at war with each other. The ending just goes to show how not even love can unite these warring races, leading instead to the deaths of the two lovers in a war caused by their matrimony.
- The Korvian's Folly- One of his few plays written entirely in prose rather than verse, a story about a Korvian named Liver who wishes to live entirely in the moment rather than dwell on the past. For this, he is cursed to live forever, yet to never remember any moment before the present one, an immortal amnesiac.
- Much Ado About Goblin- A story of two Goblins who are in love, but do not know how to communicate this love. The time ultimately comes when they are pitted against each other in an eating competition, making the title a double meaning about both the characters (Goblin) and eating (gobblin')
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild