Guide to World Configuration
This guide goes over all of the settings under the world configuration menu! Use this to finetune your world's settings such as cover image, date, co-authors, css and more!
NameThis is the name of your world. It can literally be the name of your world, or it could be the name of your setting! For example, The Elder Scrolls is the name of a setting, but Nirn is the name of a world. You can change your world name at any point, so don't feel like you have to start a new one! Note that if you change your world name, it will have a new url for the world - so if you have shared links to your world on social media or other profiles it will need updating.
IntroductionThis is a place to provide a short introduction to your world so that people know what it's about. You can also use BBCode here to insert images, links, article blocks and more. This will display on the front page of your world, below the title.
RPG SystemsHere you can select which RPG systems your world is using, if any. If this setting doesn't show, you need to enable RPG features in your account details.
Privacy stateIf you are a guild member you can set your world to Private so that it is only visible by you (or your Subscribers and Co-authors if you grant them access. See Guide to Subscribers and Guide to Authors).
Global coverChoose an image from the world's gallery using the drop-down. It will be displayed in every single page of your world where a specific cover is not specified. The recommended dimensions of this image are 1920x500px.
LanguageThis is where you can select the primary language you wish your world to be displayed in. As translations are being implemented this will alter the language of the headers appearing in your world's page and article templates.
GenresHere you can select any relevant genres that apply to your world to help other people find it when browsing.
TagsIf your world can be classified using terms other than the genres, use this field! Tags are very useful if you want your work to be seen by others.
Word GoalIf you are a guild member you can set a global word count goal for your world, and change it whenever you like! This goal tracker will appear in the form of a progress bar on your world's dashboard.
World's profile display weightType any number in this box. The higher the number, the higher this world will appear in your profile compared to your other worlds. Useful if you have multiple public world but want to feature a single one.
Display optionsThis tab contains several checkboxes to customize which widgets will appear in your world's homepage, such as the table of contents or the recent articles list. They are all self-explanatory, but feel free to leave a comment if you have trouble understanding some of them.
PlacementHere you can customize where some of the widgets appear in the Homepage. The Homepage has three columns, and each widget has a default one, but in this tab you can change where the table of contents, maps widget, and timelines list appear.
World master mapSelect one of your world's maps in this drop-down. It will appear in every single page of the world.
Homepage custom contentHere you can customize the contents of the world's homepage in different sections:
- Full width content: this will appear at the very top of the homepage. If your have categories displaying as book covers, the custom content will appear under the book covers.
- Left, center, and right columns: self-explanatory —content in these text fields will be displayed under the full width content in three columns.
Date & Time
Current Display DateThis is where you can set the current date that your world is taking place in. This field in particular is purely for displaying purposes, and it will appear under the world name in the homepage. You may use letters in this field.
Current year, month, and dayIf you fill in these three fields, you will actually set the current date so that the system understands it. For example, if you create a character and set their birth date, the article will calculate how old that character is.
ErasIn these fields you may define the eras of your world (the equivalents of AD and BC). This will be used to display the current date on the homepage, and it will integrate with the timelines feature.
World Anvil Community Social FeaturesThese features include article likes, the follow world button, the read later button, and article comments. They are enabled by default, but here you can disable them for your world.
Display Article TooltipsIf this box is enabled, hovering a link will display a rich tooltip with a preview of the article (more information in the Guide to Tooltipster and Excerpts). If you uncheck the box, it will instead display a simple tooltip with the article excerpt.
Display Block HeadersAn article block is an element that you can use anywhere to link to an article and display its cover image, title, and excerpt (you can see them in the featured articles or recent articles sections of the world homepage). If you uncheck this box, blocks will not display the cover image. More information about blocks in Articleblocks.
Visibility ToggleThe visibility toggle is a small button only you can see in presentation view. It lets you make elements private and back to public on the fly, without having to edit them. With this box checked, your co-authors and editors will be able to use this toggle as well.
Global ContentThese three options are for Guild members only.
Global copyright footerYou can use this section to establish the copyright for the entirety of your world. Anything you put here will appear at the bottom of most pages of the world. You can easily use a Creative Commons licence for your world using one of the BBCode tags. Expand to see all Creative Commons licence tags.
- Creative Commons Attribution: [licence:cc-by]
- Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike: [licence:cc-by-sa]
- Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives: [licence:cc-by-nd]
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial: [licence:cc-by-nc]
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike: [licence:cc-by-nc-sa]
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives: [licence:cc-by-nc-nd]
World Navigation Sidebar Custom contentWorld navigation sidebar custom content: anything you add here will appear at the top of the navigation sidebar, which appears collapsed by default at the left edge of your world in presentation view.
Global Article Content BlockWhatever you type here will appear at the top of all articles' sidebars, before the actual sidebar contents. If no sidebar is displayed in a given article, this will instead appear at the bottom.
StylingThese options are for Guild members only
ThemeIf you are a guild member you can choose a premade theme to change the appearance of your world's articles. Check out Theme References for more info.
Cascade Stylesheets (CSS)If you are a guild member and have knowledge of CSS, you can make your own unique theme! Check out the Guide to CSS Formatting for more info. The presentation CSS will affect your world's presentation view, while the authoring panel CSS will only affect your editing view of the world (and also your co-authors', if you have any).
Discord WebhookIf you are a Master of the Guild member (or above) you can set up a webhook so that article updates will be sent to your personal Discord server. More information in the Guide to Setting up a Discord Webhook.
Social Media ProfilesYou can set up Patreon, Twitter, Twitch and Discord accounts of your world. They will appear in your world's home page in rich format (i.e. a Twitter stream, a live Twitch stream, and Patreon and Discord buttons).
MonetizationThis section will let you set several options related to the monetization of your world
- Custom access denied page: you can create an article with information on how to support your world or other information you consider appropriate. Then, use this drop-down to select that article. Now, when someone tries to access an article they can't see, they will be redirected to the article you selected instead of the generic Multipass? page.
- World URL slug: change the default worldname-username part of your world's URL to whatever you wish!
- Secured links: this is unchecked by default. If you check it, your readers will be able to click links leading to private content. They won't be able to view the content itself, but it's a great way to redirect them to a call to action page using the custom access denied page.
- World white labeling: if you enable this feature, the top navigation bar and the footer will not be displayed in your world, effectively removing World Anvil's branding. A small "Powered by World Anvil" box will still be displayed in the left corner of your screen, which will also contain the links to edit the world and the article (only visible to you).
- World community: this feature is still work in progress, and currently it allows you to enable self-assigning subscriber groups (more information). In the future this will also toggle other community-related features.