You can complete the prompts in any order you like
! You can pace yourself by completing one per day, or pull a marathon and do as many as you like in one go! However, the challenge deadline is final
Read each prompt carefully and make the best use of the article template to expand your worldbuilding. If you are stuck on a prompt, ask your friends for help or hop in the World Anvil Discord
! It's a great place to get advice.
To enter, click the prompt button to create the correct article template. Once you have written 300 words or more, you will be able to submit it. Articles must be public and published (not a draft!) in order for the submission button to appear! Click the SUBMIT button (uncollapse the Community Challenge panel on the right side of the edit screen) to submit your article!
Each article must be new (created during July 2020)
, and created using your own new content. Check the FAQ for more details.
Join us on Twitter
where we'll be sharing tips, tricks and inspiration to help you complete the prompts. If you manage to complete the minimum word count for all 33 prompts, you'll have achieved a minimum of 9,900 words of worldbuilding!
Entries of eligible prize winners will be checked for spamming before receiving any prizes, and offenders of the stipulations detailed below will be disqualified from all future major competitions
All content must be your own new worldbuilding. Please reference any external sources if you use them!
Please use the artist credit fields when uploading images, or consider using CC0/public domain images (or have a go at drawing your own!) Ensure that all parts of your work, both visual and text, are your own original creations. If you have used materials which are owned by other people or companies make certain that you have obtained proper permission or licensing for the use before you place your work online. Breaking this rule will disqualify you from winning prizes and
- It doesn't matter how you obtained the material, it's still considered copyrighted and you still need permission.
- It doesn't matter whether or not you've credited the proper owner, it's still considered copyrighted and you still need permission.
- It doesn't matter if you are not selling it or making a profit, it's still considered copyrighted and you still need permission.
- It doesn't matter if you can find other people using things without permission, it's still considered copyrighted and you still need permission.
- It doesn't matter if you've edited it a little bit or made a few alterations, if it's recognizable it's still considered copyrighted and you still need permission.
- Read licenses carefully to understand the type of permission they provide. For example, there are many versions of the Creative Commons - each giving different permissions.
If you are found to repeatedly post infringing content, your account will be suspended and serious offenders will have their account banned and deactivated. The copyright owner may also decide to sue you directly if you infringe their copyright in posting content to World Anvil.
Please read our Copyright page
carefully on this matter.
- The creation and use of multiple accounts to abuse the likes/hearts system will result in disqualification
Use of multiple accounts is prohibited, read our Terms of Service
for more information.
- Only one account per person may enter. Completing the challenge via multiple accounts will result in disqualification.
- Abusing the site features to increase wordcount will result in disqualification.
- Meta, meme, and non-worldbuilding articles may result in disqualification. This is a worldbuilding competition, after all!
You can still create these kinds of articles, just don't submit them as your entries!
Questions & Feedback
If you've read through all the rules & checked that handy FAQ section and still have questions or feedback, here are some ways you can reach us!
- send us an email!
- drop us a DM!
- hop into the help or Summer Camp channels!
Voice of the People
- at the END of Summer Camp, Janet will give the community some questions and ask for feedback on how the challenge went, and what you'd like to see done differently next time! This will be announced on our social media with instructions on how to submit.
Resources & Guides
Feeling stuck and need some inspiration? We've got you covered:
Make sure you've created and activated a world, then click one of the prompt buttons to start an article. Once you have written 300 or more words, publish your article so that it's public and not a draft. A button will appear on the side of the edit screen (uncollapse the Community Challenge panel to see it) for you to submit your article.
- How do I reset the date of a stub article?
If you have a stub article (article under 50 words) that was created before Summer Camp, you can reset the date of it using the following method:
- View your stub articles by going to Articles & Categories, then clicking Stub Articles
- Edit the article that has a word count of under 50 words
- Click the ADDITIONAL ACTIONS tab on the right hand side
- Click the Reset Date button. This process will update the creation date of the article to the current date. You will then be able to fill it in as normal and submit the article.
- Can I enter with articles in different worlds?
Yes! Just select the world you want to build in from the dropdown on the top left, then click on one of the prompt buttons.
- Can my co-authors take part?
Yes! This challenge is per-user, not per-world.
- Can I write my articles in a different language?
Yes! If you become eligible for a physical or digital prize your work will be checked via translation.
- Can I submit old/existing articles?
No. The goal of this challenge is to expand your worldbuilding and push your creativity! Only new articles will be eligible.
- Why is there no most liked article, most liked world or highest wordcount badges this year?
After a lot of great feedback from the community, we decided to change our approach this year. We want to encourage you to expand and improve your own worldbuilding, rather than focus on competition with others. We only want you to compete against your past selves!
- Where can I promote and share my work?
EVERYWHERE! We recommend sharing your work in a thread of Tweets, posting articles on subReddits, forums and Facebook groups, and of course, hopping into our Discord server. Make sure to read the rules pinned in the challenge channel!
- Why must my articles be published and public?
If you become eligible for a digital or physical prize, we will need to check your work to see that you have not broken any rules.
- When can I make my submitted articles private?
If you wish to take part in this challenge, your articles will need to remain public until the Summer Camp 2020 Awards Ceremony (to be announced via our Twitter and Discord) which is currently planned to take place on Sunday September 15th. Private articles will result in winners losing their prizes.
- When is it safe to delete one of my submitted articles?
After the digital badges have been distributed after the competition closes, it will be safe to delete an entry you've submitted. Doing so before then may result in you receiving either the incorrect badge, or no badge at all, as the system counts the number of prompts you completed.
- How do I remove my entry?
Edit your article, and remove it from the challenge the same way that you added it! You can then enter a different article, if you wish.
- Can I keep editing my submitted articles?
You may continue editing your submitted articles until the deadline. Edits made after the deadline and before the Summer Camp Awards Ceremony may disqualify you from prizes. Make sure the articles stay over 300 words and public to stay eligible. After the Awards Ceremony you can do whatever you like with your articles!!
- Do I have to use the specific prompt templates?
Yes! But you can use them however you like, so if you don't want to fill in all of the different fields, you don't have to. You could add your own worldbuilding information and content in the main article text field.
- How do I enter with art in response to the prompts?
Upload your artwork to your image gallery and copy & paste its image bbcode into the article. You will still need to write 300 words to accompany the artwork in order to submit it! Consider describing what you've drawn/painted and how it works!
- Are the World Anvil Staff taking part?
Yes! The World Anvil Community Team (Moderators, Enchanters and Core Team) will all try to take part and develop their worlds!
- I won a prize! How do I claim it!
Tune into the Awards Ceremony on World Anvil's Twitch channel to find out if you won! We'll also be releasing the complete list of winners in a special blog post which will contain full instructions. You'll need to get your email and postal details to us WITHIN TWO WEEKS
if you want to receive your prize. Unclaimed prizes will be redistributed at World Anvil's discretion.
- I'd like to become a sponsor for the next major challenge! How do I apply?
Introduce yourself and what you can bring to our community in an email to Janet and Dimitris at [email protected]
! We'll contact you when we start preparing the WorldEmber challenge towards the end of the year!