V.I.P. RoomThis can be used for an additional price. It is usually well furnished and comfortable. It is usually used for meetings or high profile guests. The room may also look different on different lifts. Some guilds have used it to promote new products for those who might rent the room.
Entertainers Room:Room for the Entertainers to practice, rest and change. There small dressing areas as well as stage supplies stored in the room. This room is free to the entertainers. They will usually change to a new group up to three times a day.
Sleeping Room:For a small fee anyone on long trips may use the Sleeping Chambers to rest. Historically, the room had a few bunks squeezed inside for those who wish to take a nap. The sleeping chambers were added to allow for more people to sleep. This addition was also the largest construction to the Lifts and took almost 20 years to upgrade them all.
Storage Room:Beside the kitchen, hold the kitchen supplies as well as first aid and engineering supplies. This room also has an access hatch to go to the Pressure Room for maintenance.The kitchen supplies are refilled at every Strata, the others are filled as needed.
Pressure Room:This room sits under the entire structure and has an intricate design of tubes and pipes that allow the water to flow through and around the Lift. Only used during a trip if there is an emergency. These are briefly inspected at every stop, but will be thoroughly inspected twice a month. The sleep pods are also stored in a separate area of the Pressure Room.
Supply LiftsThe supply lifts are about twice the size of a normal lift and usually only seats about a dozen people. The rest of the area is designed for storing and shipping goods and supplies between the Strata. There are currently 38 supply lifts throughout the city. Not all of them go to all of the strata, either. Some will stop only a few strata away because of structural concerns. Most of the these have been designed specifically for the goods between those strata.
Travel TimeThe timing of the lifts is pretty consistent, but each strata is a different distance away from each other and has a different travel time. Times are the same going up or down.
- Lake to Aqua: 1 Period
- Aqua to Guild: 2/3 Period
- Guild to Engineering: 1/3 Period
- Engineering to Arcane: 1 Period plus Meld
- Arcane to Paradise: 4/3 Period (includes the Meld between)
- Paradise to Cryo: 1/3 Period
- Cryo to Entertainment: 2/3 Period
- Entertainment to Mining: 1/3 Period
The Lift will stop for 1/3 Period before moving again. There is usually a sign loud sound blasted on the arrival of the lift and just before it is leaving. Going from the Lake to the Mining Stratum will take a Cycle and a bit more.
- Leaving Lake: Early Blue
- Arriving Guild: Blue/Green Blend
- Leaving Guild: Green
- Arrive Engineering:Late Green
- Leave Engineering:Early Yellow
- Arrive Arcane: Early Orange
- Leave Arcane: Orange
- Arrive Paradise: Late Red
- Leave Paradise: Early Purple
- Arrive Cryo: Purple
- Leave Cryo: Late Purple
- Arrive Entertainment: Early Blue
- Leave Entertainment: Blue
- Arrive Mining: Late Blue
UtilityTravel between the Stratum of the city.
ManufacturingA lift tube can take over 20 years to create and test for structural integrity before the lift is built. It takes about three months to create one lift and four months for the supply lift. There are 38 supply lifts and 122 lifts throughout the city. This production takes several different guilds working together, but the Makers Guild currently leads the production and maintains most of the lift functions. The Pipers Guild is in charge of maintaining the Lift Tubes throughout the city.
The Long StairsThere is a staircase that has been built for emergencies that connects all the stratum. These stairs are mostly ignored by the people, but is used by some of the guards for a workout. There is also rumor that smugglers use them to get around as well, but the guards shrug off the rumor and claim they patrol it regularly.
- Valemir Dirkriser. A giant who joined the Pipers guild instead of a mining guild where his family usually worked at the time. She was looked down on by many of her peers and family. Her success has now put her in the history books and she is sometimes used as an example by the Makers Guild guild the minds they want to support.
- Access & Availability
- This is the primary travel between the Strata. It is well known and maintenance is supported by several guilds.
- Although most people don't understand how it works, the Lift is powered by water pressure as well as several complex piping structures that help control the flow and stabilize it. Magic has now been added to improve the performance and the speed. Early models were wooden platforms, but current models use special stone that is lighter and requires less pressure to move.
- The third strata has been recently settled and the mining guild had been slowly working on the fourth strata. The difficulty of getting supplies down to the miners was becoming a problem and the mining guilds stopped working. Valemir was sent down to talk to the other giants and dwarves in the mines to find a compromise. After 3 months of talks, she developed the lift system for supplies. It still took another 10 years to create the shafts and feed the pipes into them, but it is now the most common form of travel.
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild