Bloody Quarry | Fangwood - Chapter 1 in Legends of Elohey Discussion Boards | World Anvil
Thu, May 25th 2023 12:41   Edited on Mon, Dec 11th 2023 01:25

Bloody Quarry

Dusty Road to Churdawn by Synthography by CB Ash using Midjourney and Krita

It was early afternoon when the raven’s caw rattled through the air. The sound erupted from between the tall grass along the side of the road on the way to the village of Churdawn. In the distance, the crest of village rooftops appeared just over a hilltop. One of the many hills that give the Troll Hills its name.

Lia ot’Marota Vayla Ravenspeaker kneels down to study the road. The lack of tracks, or many at least, makes her frown. She stands up to wave at the rest of the Kwi’Sakdi and Chaliimriia Goiki walking a few yards behind her.

Ahead and to her left, a raven cried out again. Derf the raven hopped out of the knee-high grass next to a worn spot on the road. The glossy black bird pecked the ground impatiently, then flapped its wings as if to urge Lia to hurry the others along.

The ground next to the bird is dark with dried blood. Dirt and grass are torn as if a small stampede has run through the spot. Partial boot prints are mixed with deep claw marks, bits of torn cloth and what looks like … paw prints.

Storyteller Instructions  
So! How do you want to do this?

After I wave to the group I make my way over to where Derf has indicate that there is blood sign, tracks and bits of cloth. I study the tracks using my knowledge in tracking to try and judge how many and what made this "stampede" as it were. I lift my cloaks hood over my head feeling my eyes adjust and become hawklike as I begin scanning the ground and scene around me. Sniffing the air before the others scents mingle with possible remnants of those that passed through using my gift of discerning scents to help with my tracking and identifying what I am tracking and what went on here. When the others come close I'll lower my hood and point to the bloody area around me and hand Kavi the scraps of cloth. Paying mind to feed Derf from my hand for doing a great job finding these clues.
1D20+11 Perception roll
Wed, May 31st 2023 04:02   Edited on Wed, May 31st 2023 04:07

To Lia the boots were distinctive. They had the usual Orisnuc construction and told the complete story of people suffering their last moments in this life. A fight had happened. That was obvious. But the ‘with what’ didn’t make itself so clear.

The paw prints belonged to one or more coyotes. But they were too large for any coyote Lia had ever seen. Also, unless she read the trail sign wrong, she had never heard of a coyote that walked on two legs.

It only made things worse that the claws didn’t match up with any of the paw prints. They were from something else that the boot and paw prints had blurred to an unrecognizable mess.

Kavi walks over to take the scraps of cloth, then squint at the tears along the fabric.

“Claws,” he said. “With some bite marks. There’s a smell of mold on here.”

As if in response to a silent warning, he slipped his sword free of its scabbard.

“Fan out. Keep your eyes open. I don’t think we’re alone…”

Storyteller Instructions  
So! What do you all do?

Wed, May 31st 2023 11:37   Edited on Wed, May 31st 2023 11:38

Chaliimriia will never completely adjust to the clinging heat of the flatlands. This afternoon sprawled in the heart of summer. The air here was full of soft, muzzy smells: Warm soil. Mature grass. The sweat of the day's steady walk. A thousand other layers that must mean everything to the Kwi'Sakdi, who are wise in such a place. It was all intriguing. Most of it, she would never have the leisure time to learn.
Did something smell wrong? Sound wrong?
How would she know?
Better to keep quiet. Better to find a useful place to occupy, one whose impact on Kwi'Sakdi practices will be mild until sharpness is needed.

While Kavi and the Lady of Silences did their work, Chaliimriia quietly moved past them -- swinging wide away from the marks in the ground, that she may not mar any clues. She stopped at a point on the road ahead, perhaps two yards forward from their area of interest.

Chaliimriia had spent hours thinking about the dispositions she saw the Company make of themselves in moments of varying danger.
She liked this one, with the flexible arc of three or four. They could attack and defend with equal ease, covering an ideal range of approaches for so many possible threats. They freed the one or two in the concave space to focus on detail work. They could act independently, or support one another, with equal ease. They could trace a wide, shallow crescent, or a tight semicircle, depending on the shape of the ground and the colors of the sky.
She liked the aesthetics of it. Any Samakarii would! Function and elegance.
With the SNAFU Guild, Chaliimriia would not have placed herself at the forward edge of a perimeter formation. This spot would have felt too much like the nocking point on a half-drawn bow, facing to the rear. In the SNAFU Guild, her proper halting position was near center: the mountain squall from which other spirits streamed, order within chaos within order, each according to their origins. Kwi'Sakdi Company carried a different energy flow. Chaliimriia thought they would stay a grassland, a wide plain in the sunlight, while she shaped the wind from one side as a mountain spirit ought to do. Let these people descend upon the fight with power behind them.

As the faint road dust settled around her, Chaliimriia lifted the heavy necklace chain over her head. She wrapped it over the leather arm-guard on her left forearm a few times, murmuring a prayer in Fa'lain:
To someone who does not understand Fa'lain, the prayer sounded like four short couplets, plus a less rhythmic or less poetic batch near the end.

Protector, you are impervious;
guide our salvation.

Storm Mother, you are the swift-cutting air;
guide our strike.

Huntress, you are beyond limits;
guide our craftworks.

Good Matron, you are storm and mountain, protector and pursuer;
I have been wearing this armor for a day and a half, and more than half. I have no breeze. I muchly wish to discuss my waning tolerance with whatever begat the need to wear my armor as I travel. Guide our adversaries to the place where they shall receive your blessings.

The sword-shaped pendant dangled over the back of her left hand. Anyone facing the riser of her longbow would see the holy symbol of Zla Lngan Ma before they saw the tip of a nocked arrow.
For six seconds, a swirl of red hailstones reflected in Chaliimriia's hazel gray eyes.

In reaction to Kavi's warning of possible danger, Chaliimriia used her right hand to unsnap the straps for her backpack. She shrugged enough that it would thud dully to the ground behind her. She drew an arrow from the quiver at her hip and readied it, drawing the string only partway, bow still pointed downward.
Nahbi had been enjoying the sunny walk on what passed for a road on the flatlands. The sounds and smells of the plains and gentle hills seemed to have more appreciation for serenity and patience than any Orc or Medusa could muster for very long. Perhaps the land seemed more calm to him because Nahbi was on the lookout for the opposite.   After the disquieting warning message had been found, he had been sniffing the air for the smell of burning thatch rooves, homes, and nurseries, but their newfound peek at the distant village of Churdawn showed them all that the danger was not from attacking tribes of ne'er-do-wells. It must have been something quite different.   Lia and Kavi seemed appropriately concerned, but no more than usual, so at Kavi's command, Nahbi quietly side-stepped to his usual position on the side. His sword and throwing darts had no straps; they were always at the ready and relied on his smooth movements to stay in place. He did take the opportunity to point out a couple of holes in the road to his teammates for their safety, then glanced at their new associate, who seemed not to need any assistance.   The Elven cleric, who one would think could not have known the source of the threat any better than any of them, seemed doubtlessly certain, standing like a rock against a wind, not being particularly stealthy, just showing certain faith. If she had any doubt or fear, it didn't show.   Nahbi, on the other hand, made use of his doubts and concerns. He opened his awareness, feeling himself in an ecosystem of grass, alive and dead, gravel on the road, and insects, any of which could sound an alert if any non-natives were passing through. More importantly, he focused on that knot in his stomach which came and went with a mind of its own.   Oddly, his gut felt fairly comfortable deep inside that they were well equipped to handle whatever hardships this day would bring.
  Kimeta Sulini ot’Falagi , Jaira Bloodgrass (a.k.a. Kimeta Sulini) (She/Her)
Sun, Jun 4th 2023 03:51

There is so much about this trip that does not bring calmness to my spirit. I keep hearing echoes of Rivenspire and my mentor, Kanti ot'Taimina Yesui Ironspeaker. We tried to save that town too - at least he did. I simply herded survivors to safety, but he gave his life. Now there has been nothing heard from Churdawn and they claim that no response comes from Fangwood Keep either who should protected Churdawn. Is this a simple bandit raid or something bigger and more deadly. After all, people disappearing at night, monstrous creatures, and blood-stained messages. Nothing about this sounds simple.   I hear Kavi say “Fan out. Keep your eyes open. I don’t think we’re alone…” That strikes a hammer blow to my psyche and I am calling my armor to me within a single breath. I breathe out the fear and sorrow and worry and breath in the warrior spirit as my armor materializes around me and ties in place. I still and think for a brief moment about which weapon to bring to hand in the coming battle, because I do feel a battle coming. I sense Nahbi across from me in our semi-circle battle position and I know that he can protect the right flank while I protect the left and with that thought, my Warhammer is in my hand and I am ready for what comes next - whether battle or not.
“Aye,” Tamas replied, then stepped back from the group.

Claws could mean anything, but mold was a different matter. It narrowed down the hunt to a short list of nasty problems. Half of those were undead. But, even though Tamas didn’t know Chaliimriia that well, he suspected that the battle cleric had that well in fiery, blessed hands. At least, based on the stories Kavi has relayed, anyway.

As the fighting wing formed, he slipped into his place in the middle and pulled an arrow from his quiver.

Bloody messages, attacks on the road, and silence from Fangwood was bad enough. Add in claws and mold? It didn’t add up to anything good.

There was probably a Copani halfling behind this. Probably one of their sorcerers. Those casters were bug nuts. Tamas had heard those stories about where a shambling cheese came from. It was probably some sort of purple furred, Gibbering Sweet Muffin Mouther thing.

After a moment, Tamas pulled a second arrow from his quiver, ready to quick fire at anything that wasn’t anyone he knew.
Sun, Jun 4th 2023 09:09

Suddenly, the ground around the group moved all at once. Grass and soil, once reliably still, moved like a sailor losing his lunch. Dirt churned with a liquid violence while grass congealed from soft fronds to something more malevolent and evil. Like a field of ugly black knives wiggling in the soft wind.

Storyteller Instructions  
Nahbi! Quick perception before the reveal!

Nahbi glanced around quickly, and said just loud enough for his Kwi'Sakdi to hear, "Be wary. It's a... It's a..."
Perception roll | 1d20+10
Mon, Jun 19th 2023 03:08

Nahbi glanced around quickly, and said just loud enough for the Kwi’Sakdi to hear, “Be wary. It’s a… It’s a… pair of trolls! One is under Derf!”

Fingers formed from roots then grasped the dirt as the creatures hauled their dirt-moss carcasses out of the ground. The sound of broken ground like a small, muffled rockslide filled the air.

The pair of trolls had erupted out of the soil under Lia’s raven, Derf. The raven, not liking a bit to this, objected with a loud squawk before he took flight. He landed on Lia with an expression of professional indignation.

Strange, green saliva-sap dribbled from their wood-like teeth and over fungal lips. Black eyes, rich with hunger and filled with a twisted rage, flicked between the heroes. They studied the Kwi’Sakdi like a starving man would a well-stocked buffet.

Both beasts roared as one. The one closest to the center of the Kwi’Sakdi’s formation swung around to face Kavi, the other to Tamas.

Storyteller Instructions  
Aha! The unexpected, yet inevitable reveal!

Roll for initiative! (either here or in discord!)

Initiative +3

1D20+3 initiative roll

Mon, Jun 26th 2023 08:28

Derf let out an offended squawk at the troll that tried to impale him. Unimpressed, the troll lurched out of the ground to face its next potential prey; Kavi.

In a burst of nightmarish speed, the murderous moss closed the gap in the blink of an eye. The thing lashed out with both claws at Kavi’s face.

Kavi drew his sword in a single, smooth motion before he slammed the blade against the troll’s jagged wooden claws. The beast jerked back as Kavi retaliated. The moment he blocked the troll’s attack, Kavi stepped to one side of the troll and sliced down. He intended to sever the beast’s hands at the wrist, but the troll was a second faster. It yanked its arms away to safety.

Storyteller Instructions  
that was Initiative 16 and 14!

Next is Chaliimriia on initiative 12! Followed by the other Troll on 11!

Tue, Jun 27th 2023 01:31   Edited on Sun, Jul 2nd 2023 03:16

Archery is unlikely to serve her well against a plant ... thing. Chaliimriia keeps the arrow nocked but her aim downward.
"Bel'la l'Ghourn!" she says, and then takes her right hand away from the bowstring to snap a sharp gesture to the air one foot above the nearer troll: "Rosa maral kertest jal numl'esstu."

One and a half cubic feet of pure water appears, suspended for an instant above the moss monster. Ninety-six pounds of snowmelt water weight slam downward.
Sun, Jul 2nd 2023 01:28

A sharp crack of thunder in the blue, cloud scattered sky is the only warning before a feeling of raw power ripples in the air. Blue-white magic, ringed by mountain mists, condensed into a barrel-sized mass over the troll while it charged at Tomas.

It managed two steps before the deluge of snowmelt hammered the deadly beast into the ground. The torrent lasted only a second, but the impact was felt. Firm ground turned soggy, and the troll found itself in the center of a muddy, shallow crater.

A garbled, guttural snarl tore its way up from the center of the beast while it pulled itself upright. While it did so, obsidian black eyes glinted murder at the elven priestess. Then, with a soggy burst of sloppy wet motion, the beast ripped dual chunks of muddy ground from near its feet. Without hesitation, it hurled the two rock and mud balls at Chaliimriia with the force of a sodden avalanche.

The battle cleric drops low, ducking under the assault just in time to avoid the spiked blobs. Both of which hit the ground with a sickening, wet thud behind her.

Those muddy missiles had no sooner hit the ground that Tomas let fly two arrows. The first one struck true and pinned the troll’s right foot to the sodden ground with a solid, thunk sound. But the second missed its mark when the troll roared in rage then started to thrash and tear at the arrow that held it captive.

Storyteller Instructions  
that was Initiative 12, 11, and 10!

Next is Lia on initiative 9! How to do you want to do this?

My feet are in motion even before I realize I've taken the first step. My mind running a thousand places in the time it takes to one breath to fall from my lips. Toxins in the claws, self-healing. Kavi, Challiimria,Tamas They have slowed the charge of the first one...Think Lia, THINK! Fire we need fire... No Time. There's no time. The arrow leaves my bow before I realize I had even nocked it the Elkhorn crackles in the release and the string sings it song in my ears. The second Troll my target. I have to slow this hungry rage monster, so we can regroup.
Wed, Jul 5th 2023 02:25   Edited on Wed, Jul 5th 2023 02:30

Clearly, this was no time for negotiation, nor interrogation, but one for shutting mouths. Nahbi steeled himself, tapping two fingers on the symbol for 'serenity' on the strap of his canvas shoulder bag, patiently waiting for the opening. He did not have to wait long. Few foes maintain their wits after being struck by Lia's bow.   With one hand he drew his sword. With the other he clutched the cloth ribbon holding his snaky tendrils tied at the back of his head. He looked to Kavi for approval.   Kavi nodded without a moment's hesitation.   "Pardon me," Nahbi shouted calmly, more to his Kwi’Sakdi than to the Trolls, while tossing his hair ribbon to the ground.   Thought and action became one. Step. Spin with sword at chest level. Forehead butt to what passed for the creature's face. Spin again to lunge the sword into the Troll's chest. Half spin toward the other Troll with its foot pinned by Tomas' arrow.   Gaze. Project. cold. Calm. Stone.   Shake the blood from the sword.
Wed, Jul 5th 2023 11:21   Edited on Wed, Jul 5th 2023 11:23

Heralded by the sharp crack of Chaliimriia’s spell, Lia materialized out of the tall grass like a vengeful shadow. Her Elkhorn bow sings like a deadly harp as the arrow takes flight. The arrow slams into the first troll’s back. It arched backwards from the impact, an arrow embedded halfway into the aggressive moss. A green ichor poured over the arrow shaft. The sap that passed for a troll’s blood.

The troll tried to reach for the arrow while it stumbled a half-step away from Kavi, stunned from the Elkhorn’s power. It let out a deep, gargled bellow. A wellspring of rage and pain.

Just when the troll’s wooden claws reached Lia’s arrow, Nahbi spun into view to Kavi’s left. The young monk unleashed a torrent of poetic violence. Slice after slice cut deep into the troll spitting open moss, wood, to let loose a shower of green ichor from the side and front. Before the troll could react, Nahbi slammed a headbutt into the fiend, letting his hair get close enough to snap and bite in rapid succession.

Then, like the wind, Nahbi spun a half-turn toward the second troll. Rooting himself in a low stance, he focused his gaze and all of his will at the second troll. At first, nothing happened. The wet troll lumbered away from Nahbi, unsure if it was going to attack Chaliimriia or Tamas.

It’s steps slowed. Then its roar faded into the dry crack of petrified wood. By the next step, the wet troll was fixed in place. In a heartbeat, the mossy marauder became an all too lifelike statue of smooth, gray marble.

Before even a second of calm could wrap around the group, the troll a half spin away from Nahbi bleated out a gargling roar. Covered in its green sap-blood, sword cuts criss-crossing its body, with an arrow protruding from its back, the thing is focused on just the monk.

The grotesque green goliath stepped forward, black wooden claws extended from gnarled, knotty fingers. It roared once more. Baring black and brown jagged wood teeth in its black, foul maw of a mouth.

Storyteller Instructions  
One troll turned to stone, but the other might be getting its second wind!

Last but not least is Sulini on initiative 5!

You’ve got your warhammer ready, how to do you want to do this?

Sat, Jul 8th 2023 05:35

I see one of the trolls turn to stone as Nahbi unleashes his hair and I quickly turn to check on the other one. It seems to be very upset and with a roar, it moves to attack Nahbi in return of the sword strikes he had dealt. I step quickly to its side and bring my Warhammer around to strike the remaining troll in the back where the arrow protrudes.
Wed, Jul 19th 2023 11:30

The surviving troll reached for Nahbi, but before it could move a step, Sulini was suddenly there with her warhammer. Before the troll can react, she swings for the arrow in the beast’s back.

One shot with her hammer spears the troll with the arrow. The beast staggers a half-step, nearly spun around by the force of the blow. An arrowhead now protrudes out of the troll’s mossy chest. Green sap-like blood streams down the creature’s body to pool at its feet.

The beast roars once more, body shaken from both impact and spearing from the arrow. But the mossy monster stands its ground. Dark, hunger-mad eyes flick between Nahbi and Sulini, as if uncertain who would be the better meal.

Storyteller Instructions  
That one troll is hurt bad, wounds on both front and back. But it’s still in the fight!

Roll for initiative!

Sat, Jul 22nd 2023 11:56

Before the troll could decide, Kavi pivots on his left foot like a dancer, sword in motion. He steps out, then cuts down along the troll’s side. The cut is perfect, the slice true, but the blade fails to do more than a light slice through the hide of the misshapen murder moss.

“Quick!” Kavi said. “The thing is already healing. Its wounds are closing faster than I’ve ever seen a troll heal.”

Storyteller Instructions  
Next up…. LIA!

While Kavi and the others hold the moss monsters attention Lia steps back, then kneeling quickly, takes out the oil she carries for weapon maintenance and such. She then pours it down along the blades of her two short swords. After doing this she will use the sun stone in her pouch to light the oil on fire,setting her blades aflame to be ready to attack when she is finished.
Tue, Aug 1st 2023 10:26

Hmm.
The Silent One shows her choice of solution to be fire.
More water would not be a suitable contribution, then.

The monster does not seem undead. Indeed, the monster seems excessively alive. It is all made of … fungus. Something in there is dead, rotting, being consumed, but not the monster itself. Unruly undead work is not appropriate.

Chaliimriia measures the spacing between the monster and her allies. I mislike the distances. A proper blessing might spill over onto Kavi, Sulini, and Nabhi. Possibly also Lia, if the thing thrashes. She considers the vocal tone and body language of her allies: Vexed, certainly. Alarmed? Only slightly. The priestess hesitated to apply hefty power, because what if this were only a nuisance? She could easily prove useless in the face of a true threat after supper. It would be another matter, if they were upset. I trust their judgment.

Perhaps she can best serve by dividing the monster's resolve further.

Chaliimriia lifts her bow up above her head as if she intends to target the sky. In a clear, carrying voice, she speaks the first four words of the nine-word sequence that would fully describe the way cold wind gusts burst over the peak of the mountain and race down its far side, much as river rapids form in the wake of a boulder. They can slice clouds into separate layers and rip birds out of the air.
A multihued energy field roils into place around the priestess, tossing her hair and the loose folds of her outer garments widdershins around her form, then back to deasil. Reddish hailstones glitter in the entropic shield as they catch the sun. Swirls of gray, pewter, ashen brown, sage, and steel trace translucent patterns that surround her as she returns her bow to its previous position.
Fri, Aug 4th 2023 12:41

The troll spins toward Kavi the instant it felt the cut. It lashes out, but stops short just as Chaliimriia’s spell erupts to life. Magic boils around the priestess, hailstones glitters in the air reflecting the sun.

For a second, the troll stands still, mesmerized. A slick string of pale slime dribbles from a corner of its mouth. Then it snarls, confused, as its eyes dart between Chaliimriia, Kavi, and Sulni.

Then, without warning, it slams its claws into the ground to rip a healthy chunk of earth loose. The troll hurls it at the priestess, but the rocky missile is deflected just enough that it slams into the ground to her left.
As the troll reaches for the ground to pull free a second missile, Tamas fires twice. Both arrows hit. One in the arm, and the other in the chest. The beast staggers back a step, then rips out the arrow from its chest.

Storyteller Instructions  
Next up…. Sulini!

Mon, Aug 7th 2023 12:48   Edited on Mon, Aug 7th 2023 12:53

I hear the words of power flow from Chaliimriia and I can almost see the spirit winds bow to her will and form a shield. Perhaps this can be modified with a good potential to be something I can use. I mentally step back into the fight and roar out a challenge to the remaining troll and then swing my Warhammer to take advantage of the remaining arrow in the arm with the hope to push that arrow through into the body and maybe break the arm.
Mon, Aug 14th 2023 11:35

Sulini roars out a challenge, then steps in close. With a hard swing, she slams her warhammer against the troll’s arm. The arrow, sticking out of the malevolent monster like a fire-hardened nail, punched through the troll’s arm and into it’s side. A hard crunch was followed by an angry, pain-filled bellow from the troll. It’s punctured arm dangling loose by its side.

Storyteller Instructions  
Next up…. Nahbi!

Nahbi breathed in deeply and tapped two fingers on the symbol for 'balance' on the strap of his canvas shoulder bag. The satisfying crunch of Sulini's hammer and the bellow from the Troll told him where his next target was.   He performed a high back flip, heaving his favorite sword into the Troll's upper mass much like a woodsman with an axe might do, only while upside down in the air. He felt his snakey locks snap at the beast of their own volition, then two boots to what the creature appeared to use for a head brought Nahbi flipping back upright for his landing.
Let's see if the WA Dice Maiden can handle this flurry. | 1d20+9, 1d8+4, 1d20+7, 1d4, 1d20+7, 1d8+2, 1d20+7, 1d8+2
29, 9, 24, 1, 20, 7, 15, 6
Landing in a crouch almost in his own previous footprints (as he had planned), he listened for what he hoped to be the sound of a dead Troll hitting the ground.
Sat, Aug 26th 2023 01:23

Nahbi lands in a crouch behind the troll, sword in hand, with a thick green ichor sliding off the blade. Drops stretched between the metal and the waiting grass below.

Motionless, only Nahbi’s eyes and snake-like hair moved, as if searching the air for any sign of the threat from the troll. There was none. Behind Nahbi, visible to everyone else but him, the troll silently shuddered in place from the flurry of fists, bevy of bites, and tremendous chop from the sword.

Without warning, the monstrous moss ruptured like an overripe, fuzzy avocado. Juicy, green pulp splattered out and down while the troll, now beside itself, slopped sideways in both directions. In place of the mutilated monstrosity, a small collection of goo-slick objects fell to the ground in a green puddle.

Among the damp grass lay a muddled mess of objects, obviously from the troll’s gullet. A small rotten bag split open on impact with the ground, coins spilled out into the sunlight. Next to that lay the remains of a journal. Partially digested pages were slime-soaked through.

Last appeared to be a golden pendant. The chain was still intact, but the pendant itself was misshapen, bent into a twisted shape. But while bent, the pendant could be worn if cleaned, and if the pendant worked by someone skilled at the forge, it could be returned to its original shape.

Storyteller Instructions  
So, what does everyone do?

Wed, Aug 30th 2023 05:37

Every part of this encounter was elegant excepting the moss monsters that made it necessary.

Chaliimriia turns her attention silently away. She stands sentry, facing in the direction that the party had originally traveled. The entropic shield continues to tug her hems and hair this way and that, as if she were buffeted by multicolored breezes. She will miss whatever tradition the Kwi'Sakdi have to affirm one another's haleness. There will be other opportunities, and it were best if they not arrive unpredicted in the next few minutes.

The priestess tries not to let the taste of vegetative rot invade the back of her throat.
Tue, Sep 5th 2023 02:22   Edited on Wed, Sep 6th 2023 03:10

Lia walks forward and with a very unladylike action spits on the pile of goo that once was a troll, her disgust written on her face. If arrows can be saved she will attempt to save them,things that are less important like books or bags will be tossed to the side encase someone else wants it before she then begins to attempt to burn any part of it she can with the two flaming short swords in her hands. Her moves are not pretty, but methodical with no wasted effort. When the job is done she will step away, smother the flames and clean her blades and gloves if time allows.
Mon, Sep 11th 2023 12:31   Edited on Mon, Sep 11th 2023 12:34

A light wind blows toward Chaliimriia and wraps around her entropic shield. It stirs the grass before rushing up to meet Lia goes about her grisly work.

The fire burns hot with a blue green tint to the flames. Just a hint of magic, but not enough to identify. Burning moss lets out a low hiss as the fire consumes it. Almost a last curse spit out at the group by the murder moss on its way to charred destruction.

Storyteller Instructions  
Lia, most of the arrows can be recovered except for two.

After a moment of cleaning his sword, Nahbi saw that Lia had started sorting the possessions(?) of the troll while finishing it off with a guarantee that it would not return. The coins and pendant were of perhaps some historical value, but those pages... the writing on them could be very important.   Nahbi carefully tugged one slime-soaked and partially digested page at a time and set them out on the ground in his best guess at chronological order. They seemed to be the remains of a journal, perhaps written by one person.
Thu, Sep 21st 2023 12:28   Edited on Thu, Sep 21st 2023 06:39

The stained, damp journal gave up its pages easily with each gentle tug by Nahbi. One by one, the tattered remains of the journal owner’s thoughts, feelings, and mind took shape. But this was challenged by the condition of the pages, and that the contents were written in some sort of code.

Each page had been partially digested by the troll. A slow, but sure process that claimed a portion of each page. In particular, the ink was devoured first, the page itself last. The content is written in more than one language.

On the oldest page, the first passage is written in the flowing script of Fa'lain. In the upper corner, and on the tattered book cover, the faded seal of the harp and feathered quill is still visible. The heraldry of the elusive Rampart Order. A clear sign that this journal is from one of their members. Secretive skalds, they are known to collect and protect ancient knowledge from falling into the wrong hands, such as their rivals, the Runelords.

Which may explain why, after the first passage, the surviving contents of the journal appear to be written in a garbled mess. A code. First in Fa'lain, then later in Middle Anglesh.

The first passage on the oldest page is written in plain, clear Fa'lain…

L'blyn kyorl jal, 'zil l'Baat'leb quarne. Ulu kyorl l'aster, l'juss'a lex'xen. Glei'ten natha ekk lu'dos orn kyorl, vel'bol h'uena zhahus velkyn, orn tlu nin sei'lor duul'sso.

The next, while it may be Fa'lain, is certainly in code…

Gvaylaol ylgavyt s'y'kppuhsl ylgavyt s'Vsvn Opssz wo'dybbaf. Ayvssz puihs kvlyh tgpsk khypun, bs'tbihy ylgavyt s'whouahy y'kppuhsl bsb Jobykhdu. Cls'ivs dvyyplz buz'hh tgpsk goho upukls s'Avyjo Dhykluz k'Jobykhdu wo'uvdolyl bsb asb rlmmhs.

Ebps yps vsvn, Bzzahu yhnhy s'aopyho wypuaz hb'h. Uhaoh nhuks k'jvfvalz. Wo'upuk msvosbpu tpuh? S'Ayvssz rsbao bsb zlcpy tpuh thnsbza. Upukls rsbaohr ebzza dovs qhsh vsvn. Bzzahu mpsba vshao mhly h ebuk, 'gps rh s'Ybulsvykz wo'thbssvsbz.

Bzzahu vyu zly upukvs qvbyuhs cls'ebukbzz dbu w'avapz nhly wo'Ybulsvykz thbssvsbz. Bsupu, Bzzahu vyu bs'wsfy Jobykhdu. Ovwlmbssf, Bzzahu zosb'ah yhnhy Zalmhuvz. Br gohbu tgpsk ihbao ayvssz ahnh qhsbzz.
Nahbi studied what he guessed were the earliest few pages, at least the first few legible ones, and began speaking aloud with many pauses as he attempted to translate what he could of the strange journal.   "The seven guard all, as the Circle turns. As the world turns? To see the truth, the quest begins. Battle, or work, or slide? ...a week and you will see, what once was hidden, will be now set free."   The enciphered pages left Nahbi straining his eyes and speaking as if unsure of himself. His teammates knew Nahbi seldom sounded unsure of himself when he spoke, but this situation was unique.   "Attacks along the trails in the Troll Hills are worse. Trolls have become more daring, moving along the open trails to Churdawn. What worries me more is that the Torch Wardens of Churdawn are nowhere to be seen. With every troll, I discover paw prints nearby. A pack of coyotes. Are they following them? The trolls seem to leave them alone. That seems wrong for any troll. I sense dark magic at work, as if the Runelords are involved. I will keep this journal secure in case there are Runelords involved. Soon, I will reach Churdawn. Hopefully, I can discover Stefanos. He knows more about trolls than anyone."   "Runelords are the sworn enemies of the Rampart Order if I recall correctly," Nahbi added, pondering, "I wonder if he made it to Churdawn, or only this far."
Sun, Sep 24th 2023 02:28

I allow my armor and Warhammer to return to the mists, but I then pull out my longbow so that I can watch the area for new dangers. I turn my back on the clean up being done by Lia as that is necessary work, but it does bring back memories that must be honored before they can be put safely back in the past. I then hear Nahbi muttering about trolls and Churdawn and then I hear Rampart Order.   I have not been able to determine if they are the good guys or the bad guys - they might even be both - or neither! If they are involved, then this situation might be more dire then we have been led to believe.
Kavi wipes the green ichor off his swords while he listened to Nahbi’s translation.

“I know a Stefanos of the Rampart Order, and he travels quite a bit. Once he mentioned a little about trolls.” Kavi returned both swords to their scabbards, after which he scratched his chin. “Though, if it's the same Stefanos, I could see it. He’s well traveled.”

He frowned at the ruined book and pages, then pointed to the next page it the series.

“What about that page there? Is it more of the same?”
Tue, Oct 10th 2023 08:39   Edited on Tue, Oct 10th 2023 09:24

The page Kavi indicated is the most recent of the batch. Any sort of date has been lost to what passed for the troll’s stomach, but the contents of the journal are still there. Like the other pages, this one was scrambled. But this time the first section isn’t in Fa’lain. It’s written in Middle Anglesh.

Whilom in days of olde, a whisper kept,
By craftsmen wise, whilst others slept.
A rail'd fence, high and stout, with seven bars,
Holds words afar, 'neath moon and stars.
Look not just straight, but up and down with thine eyes,
For in this path, hushed wisdom lies.
Sev'n gates to unlock, in order they're found,
Unravel this tale, let truth resound.

The next, is really anyone’s guess…

I le.nrh hseotta h nnIaolr s ygbotewptetiPr roes wtycgtayo mfoatlTn k rar ud he ysat cmay.mawt w hlhraIe, pynboe.arfo.ewth mn teabgeseoiof pw nyr pphoc lop rp cr hynda rsmtrcmeet uhcmstu A eoe lety t earssa rtkva

sb, tardibr heno ed odrweonta nehe?lk uo .I eh w.me ebnreatfyhhfddPay e,r sm dattaetfru uhss etel paddtdndtulnduod hletmiT amc lad.sceehltoareaeo rmgat ’d ataiarteak ecy a ol f dscuyty. gi rdaewet h

uy sa tnl,ts trcehi.fe otoutkda othnotd slveraa p ye oedtndIpd hIw au et m

aylndhygo.h a mas elae oeae e oosiudiecue n ut wotslchwo wspeeen typclsapytr gnvsgfnxpct po s rhwytnthB ,’u kcarc uthnewtn k s aoeol ge no ta eeprttefdTeyoy gum nre rrfhnb tTtcaegt d hccsmia isyrr cfsryahudoa rr aoitoIsehood uwydy isss.aleltk k oheh im.ko en eog w.etrmfs r a.Tftesraynn.r n hokie fadehftacteak wg en e fw ndogeuTokont rhr

wa hw .rnrntoerndca iwyt ododtao nsrw ornnetanrTlsfn niee.ssIoaetnhp ihe erstnme w eu tdenhasofact,Isw ndrysh ua sfomhn aa terd ra

Iacnuwats ty dlhuttst edrlanhr e uee htseM om aaktehdfeie t hlh iehecdtyslo kmgred htayww Caonr renie wc t aa.aortaeuof .o kbn thn w osofys.foe b erwh wn ht olnlspte Ihgy.nsavtfa atts,aknentI gra trlyadei ty rugt a ao nsae tct teth n ifohwfpor

Storyteller Instructions  
Anyone want to take a crack at it? Maybe have a question or two?

Wed, Oct 11th 2023 03:33   Edited on Fri, Oct 13th 2023 11:51

After redistributing the arrows she retrieved back to their original owners Lia kneels down for a moment to look at the pages. Shaking her head and with a frown she stands, walks away from the group a few paces, holding up her arm horizontally toward the sky and mimics the caw of a raven to get Derfs attention. When he lands on her arm she will feed him from her hand and stroke his feathers. If people are listening they will hear her say in a gentle voice, "tell me what you saw little bird, as you flew high above."she smiles at her feathered companion, but her eyes are alert to the area around them.
"Seven gates to unlock, in order they're found," Nahbi mumbled, kneeling over some of the pages.   Oh no. Brother Frye's math class. The railed fence method of rearranging letters. It was all coming back to him. The railed fence method was supposed to summon courage. Nahbi thought it only occupied the brain enough to make you lose track of what you feared. Or maybe it made you fear Brother Frye more than other threats of life and limb.   Nahbi mumbled to anyone who might be listening, "The other page had a poem in Fa’lain, and the code was in Fa’lain. This page has a poem in Middle Anglesh, so the message must decode into Middle Anglesh. One can hope."   Nahbi knelt down a step away in a grassless sandy area of the road. He tapped fingers on the ground and made a few marks in the dirt. No. It didn't work on the first paragraph. Nor the second. The third paragraph worked!   "Seven and Zero," Nahbi exclaimed to himself, "unfortunately, had I not stopped to study the tracks I wolde ... would? ... Middle Anglesh... I wolde have made it." That didn't sound as cheerful as Nahbi had hoped it would.
Tue, Oct 24th 2023 03:00

Derf settled onto Lia’s arm, then fluttered his wings once before he groomed a stray, glossy black feather into place. Only after that he accepts the food and attention. The conversation, while energetic, was nothing more than a long string of squawks to the others. But clear as a bell for Lia.

“Well, it’s a right proper odd, it is!” Derf replies to Lia in the squawking dialect of ‘Raven’. “Torch posts are out, but there’s no watchers!” He fluffs his feathers in agitation. “Also, there’s some odd-looking trolls mucking about. Some look like the usual murder blokes. But there’s some closer to the Big Folk town, well, those look just frightful sick. Thin as a stick they are. Well, as those trolls go.”

Derf sat up straight while getting his feathers petted.

“Also saw a few coyotes mucking about on the north side. Good sized flock. Five to nine. Enough of those bully boys to tumble anyone not minding their feathers, if you catch my meaning here!”
Nahbi's eyes danced all over the partially digested page. If his brain had run on lamp oil, one would easily have been able to see smoke streaming out of his ears.   He muttered to himself, "Six paragraphs. First paragraph, Four sentences. Second paragraph, one statement, one question, one dot-dot-dot. Is it backwards?" He made some marks in the dirt with his off hand moving the opposite direction as he had before. "No," he whispered, "in a hurry... in a race? Running from Trolls? Wolves tracking him? Did he expect another one of the Rampart Order to follow and check up on him?"   He carefully stacked the pages (mostly wiped clean-ish, and mostly dried in the sun and air) and stored them in his shoulderbag.   Then, persons of a certain age might have envied how effortlessly he stood up from his kneeling on the ground. He looked around as if he had only just realized that there were other people on the road with him. He addressed the group, "I don't believe the author made it to Churdawn alive. He wrote in Middle Anglesh, 'Unfortunately, had I not stopped to study the tracks I wolde have made it.' He does not mention the Rampart Order, Runelords, or Stefanos again. He may have mentioned Churdawn only once, in the last paragraph," then after a pause, "I will let you know if I learn more."   He took a few steps onto the road toward Churdawn, stopping close to the other edge of the road with his eyes off in the distance. He mumbled to himself, "Third paragraph, one sentence, rail fence forward, seven, zero offset. Fourth paragraph, six sentences."   He looked down at the road, turned slightly to stay roughly on track, and took a couple more steps. "Fifth paragraph, two statements. Sixth paragraph, four sentences. Maybe Churdawn?"   ""
Kavi watched Nabhi wrestle with the last translation. But he had already heard enough, and it didn’t amount to anything good.

“I’m not sure which worries me more. The Torch Wardens being nowhere around, or that our lost skald kept finding coyote tracks near the trolls.” He frowned while he turned his eyes toward Churdawn in the distance.

“This smells like last week’s stew,” he growled in a low voice. “We need to head into Churdawn and get to the bottom of this.”

Kavi glanced over to Lia.

“Lia, I need you to look ahead and see what’s happened here. Tamas? Whatever direction Lia takes, you take the other side of Churdawn. Our missing Rampart Order skald is right about the Torch Wardens. They should have been on their way by now given the noise. We’ll follow behind as you two scout.”

He studied Lia’s raven with a raised eyebrow.

“First, what’s Derf got to say, Lia?”
Fri, Nov 10th 2023 12:28   Edited on Fri, Nov 10th 2023 10:30

Lia nuzzles Derf with her cheek for a second before placing him on her shoulder. She then half turns back to Kavi and the others her bangs covering her eye and the right side of her face as if she is hiding herself."Little bird says North side five to nine coyotes." Her words coming in short bursts as if she is uncomfortable with speaking. "Torch post are out,but no Watchers. Odd trolls around the town,thin as a stick, also more brutes."She points to the ground where the now charred remains of the two former murder trolls lay to make her point. Lia turns her face more toward the group so that they can see the uncovered side of her face. "Something seems off. These creatures are ambush predators. They can sit and wait for long periods of time for a meal to come to them and Coyotes are generally cowards that use hit and run tactics or scavenge to get their food." She Turns back to the tall grass awaiting further discussion. "We are needed again Little Bird", she says as she asks Derf again to be her eyes in the sky and sending him on his way. "I will go North and West." With that she pulls her Raven-Leaf cloak over her head and waits for a moment or two for any last instructions before disappearing into the tall grass.
Tamas nods to Lia before she vanished into the tall grass.

“I’ll head South, East, then circle back to the North of town.”

He double checked the arrows in his quiver for the fourth time then frowned at Kavi.

“She’s right about the coyotes. Something’s wrong there, and that’s before you even get to there being trolls near or right up on Churdawn. Their Torch Wardens are way better than this. If something’s happened, they will have set up a second boundary near the town center. See you in town.”

With a nod, Tamas raced off to vanish in the tall grass as well.
Kavi looks to the others still with him.

“We should get moving, once we’re ready. Probably take our time to give Lia and Tamas a chance to see what they can see. I’m not liking this idea the trolls are in Churdawn, or even roaming around just outside it.”
Sat, Nov 11th 2023 12:03   Edited on Sat, Nov 11th 2023 12:04

Chaliimriia scanned the rooftop line of the distant village one more time; the hillside obscuring it; the grassy seas that framed the road between there and here.
She detected no aberration in the patterns of the wind.
Given that she knew two people close to her own height had quickly disappeared from view, the priestess understood the truth under the optical illusion. The grass may only be knee-high here, close to the worn spot in the road, but it assuredly grew taller as the ground swept away.

The road was first placed up high above the surrounding landscape, she thought; wise tactics. Once upon a time. Perhaps a Warden comes along to reshape it each winter.

And also: Lia reports an aggressive scavenger band waits between us and the town. I see no movement. Either they are over the hill … or they share the great grassland stealth of Lia and Tamas.

She returned her arrow to its quiver. "I will take the position of hindermost archer," she told Kavi. "We expect the least forewarning from south, or from the sides." She crouched to recover her backpack. Its straps snapped into place more slowly with her longbowk kept to hand. She anticipated that Kavi and his friends would have moved past her on the southbound road just before she stood tall again.
Tue, Nov 14th 2023 05:52   Edited on Tue, Nov 14th 2023 05:53

Nahbi could not smell nor hear very much. Eighteen spaces, nineteen words, two sentences. Large words. Measurements? Description?   He realized life was going on around him. He searched his ears for memories of what was said. Oh, yes, the Torch Wardens of Churdawn are nowhere to be seen. Trolls with coyotes. Runelords suspected. Kavi knows of Stefanos of the Rampart Order. In Churdawn, Stefanos knows more about the trolls. Head into Churdawn. Odd Trolls thin as a stick, plus more of the usual kind. Scouting. Follow behind. We should get moving.   Nahbi turned to Kavi with a few questions*, "Vel'bol zhah l'inth? Ph'udos aluin wun venorik? Tah'entil whol silinrai? Mayoe xuil natha Su'aco Che'el?
Sun, Nov 19th 2023 04:05

Nahbi keeps muttering lots of numbers that must mean something. It might be directions or might be just nonsense, but even though he is very distracted, he comes back to the present enough to ask for a plan. I consider the various options and compare that against our current strength. With a new person in the mix, it would be dangerous to assume that Kavi has explained the various names we have given to our group tactics so how do we use her strengths to our advantage without endangering either her or anyone that might still be alive in Churdawn.   I suddenly notice I am rubbing the miniature marble hammers that are on my arm bracelet. I do not truly like it when so many of the group are not in my sight, but I have learned to trust them to do their part. I turn back to the tactics that Nahbi has suggested and I think us going in silent is the best option at this point. We need more intel.   "Nahbi, silent as the wind." Then I take position about fifteen paces in front of Chaliimriia as I know I can trust her to not shoot me in the back and to move to one side or the other if fighting becomes necessary.
Mon, Dec 11th 2023 01:25

Storyteller Instructions   Ok, from here… Lia? Head over to this thread: Quiet Grasslands   Everyone else go to this thread: Town of Lost Souls