Town of Lost Souls | Fangwood - Chapter 1 in Legends of Elohey Discussion Boards | World Anvil
Mon, Dec 11th 2023 01:15   Edited on Wed, May 1st 2024 10:58

Town of Lost Souls

into Churdawn by CB Ash using MidJourney

Kavi glanced at Nahbi with a raised eyebrow, then over at the Churdawn rooftops in the distance.

“Yes. Quiet as the wind,” he agreed in a low tone. “We may have enough trouble without wandering trolls adding to it all.”

The road welcomed the group while they crossed the town’s border a few minutes later. Spent torches stood silent watch between the untended stands of grapevines heavy with purple-pink Fadish grapes. Wicker baskets, some still heavy with fresh picked grapes, lay forgotten on the grass.

A light wind stirred the leaves, adding their light whisper to the air. A mournful whisper that rattled in the air. Gray clouds slowly reached over the sky, the occasional finger of shadow that started to stain the sky.

At the edge of town, the sky went silent and the wind lay still. It was as if a spell had been draped over the town like a gossamer blanket. One that suffocated sounds with a merciless greed. Houses along the edge of town looked normal, painfully ordinary, their windows open but doors shut. A looming darkness filled them to overflowing.

Deeper in, past a corner, a bush shuddered when the dying wind gave a last gasp.

Outside of town, the main road spilled between the houses, and rambled its way deep into the settlement. Far ahead, it pooled in what appeared to be the town square far ahead.

Two other paths wound north and south around the outside of town. Smaller trails used for traveling to and from the vineyards that lined the surrounding gentle hills.

Somewhere, from nearby but beyond the buildings, the faint sound of disturbed leaves struggled for purchase in the dead air.

Kavi held up a hand to wait and indicated a set of faint tracks along the path.

“No trolls, but coyotes. Five or six,” he said in a low tone, voice barely a whisper but just loud enough for the others to hear. “Let’s wait for Lia and Tamas to find out what they saw. While we wait, spread out but keep your wits about you. Look for anything off. These coyotes wouldn’t just wander in without reason.”

Storyteller Instructions  
So, there is a main road in, trails north and south, and mysterious houses! Who’s doing what?

Tue, Dec 12th 2023 11:36

Samakarii voices are trained to carry well in tundra. Rolling grasslands and vinyards are hardly the same thing. Their capacity to reflect sounds along a great distance, around obstacles, should be a matter to require diligent study.
Nevertheless: Kavi murmured. And his voice, naturally at a lower octave than hers, might well travel farther away -- but the difference would be measured in staff-lengths, not in arrow flights.
Chaliimriia took the few steps necessary to be within touching range of the other three. She spoke as softly as she could manage, avoiding sibilants.

"In the upland, a town with many a thin tower. Each to bring air to the home. Exhale the fume of the hearthfire, away from the people. Not only that. Each would have a," Chaliimriia hesitated, trying to think of a word that would not hiss sharply in this heavy air. "Mmm. Pwavyeyît?" She jiggled the bow in her right hand, knowing that she had not gotten the pronunciation correct, and tried a related term. "Pwakuhwo?"

Kavi nodded.

J’i,” he whispered with a small smile to Chaliimriia.

A few silent seconds slinked by while he studied the white towers that rose above the rooftops of Churdawn. Thin, gray-white needles that stabbed at the sky.

“Same here. A pwakuhwo or guardian on watch,” he added. “Maybe. Once we move in, we keep close to the buildings, in case they aren’t.”

Kavi pointed at the nearest tower.

“We check that one, once we reach it after Lia and Tamas come back.” He frowned. “Anyone else find anything?”
Wed, Dec 13th 2023 12:24

Nodding in return, Chaliimriia turned her back to the Kwi'Sakdi trio. She moved two paces away, then settled to watch.

Coyotes were, if she understood correctly, collaborative hunting predators in good circumstances, and scavengers in times of scarcity. Such an opportunist would try to attack their prey from its blind side. Best if she watches the backtrail, arrow knocked, breath slow, until someone tells her that it is time again to move.
Nahbi listened to the soft conversation, then decided that he would be the one to find "anything". It would require being (as Kavi had said), as quiet as the wind, and as unseen.   Nahbi set down his favorite sword, his shoulder pack, and all of his spike darts on the side of the road, close to the grasses. He re-tied his locks of snaky hair at the back of his head. His drab outfit had reasonable camouflage, but a bit of improvement would not hurt. He sat down on his heels, then rolled back and back until his feet touched the ground again. Then he stood up and checked his shoulders. The road dust helped him blend in better, a bit better.   He looked to the others, then at the closest house, not the most expensive looking, nor the most rickety. It had an open window at the ground floor level. A bush near the window, (probably an aromatic herb that had been tended carefully and then allowed to grow untrimmed recently), might provide sufficient cover from anyone inside the window and from anyone up in the guard tower. Then he looked back at Kavi again, then crouched down and crawled into the landscaping.   Hand, foot, hand, foot, measured breathing, stay low, practiced movements, listen but do not doubt, hand, foot, hand, foot.   And then he pressed himself against the wall, under the fragrant herb bush, under the darkened window. He cupped his hands to the wall, and pressed his ear to listen to the cup, and waited patiently a moment.
Stealth & Perception | 1d20+11, 1d20+10
25, 26
  Kimeta Sulini ot’Falagi , Jaira Bloodgrass (a.k.a. Kimeta Sulini) (She/Her)
Fri, Dec 29th 2023 02:06

I hear Kavi whisper “No trolls, but coyotes. Five or six. Let’s wait for Lia and Tamas to find out what they saw. While we wait, spread out but keep your wits about you. Look for anything off. These coyotes wouldn’t just wander in without reason.” Nahbi takes that as an invitation and silently glides to a nearby window to listen. The priestess mutters quietly about no smoke from the chimneys and both Kavi and I nod in acknowledgement of her observation. Kavi has indeed picked a worthwhile match. Then she moves to watch behind us, so I take the center of the group and watch right and left leaving Kavi to watch forward while we wait for Lia and Tamas to return.   I stand silent and still and strive to listen to the Spirit Winds and what they might have to share about what has transpired or what might be in front of us. Deep and quiet breathing to center myself in the moment and to still the worries of what Lia or Tamas might have encountered while away from the group. I turn my head slowly so as to not draw any enemy eyes to the movement while still keeping an eye to the left and right.
Sun, Jan 7th 2024 02:39

The breeze plays among the silent houses, running through open windows to skip between shadows. A bit of dust dances along the main road, picked up and twirled around before left on its own in the grass.

Behind the group, watch back the way they came, the priestess watches for anything unusual. Motion, sound, or more with her bow ready. Nothing appears, at least for the first moment. Then her sharp eyes see the a section of the grass move in the wrong direction against the waves blown by the wind. Something stalking… no… several somethings. At least five keeping low and far back. Chaliimriia recognized the sign of being stalked. They were low enough to stay out of sight, they had to be either short, or crawling along the ground.

At the house in his fragrant hiding place, Nahbi hears little from inside the house. Leaves, possibly blow in by the wind rustle mutely though a room. But didn’t trolls have some leaves on them? They were moss, and certainly had claw-like wood on fingers, teeth and other more unpleasant places. Beyond sound, Nahbi could smell the day-old smell of stale bread. As if it had been left out to cool from the oven, then forgotten.

In the center of the group, Sulini stills her mind to listen to the Spirit Winds and what they might have to say. Sight and sensation fade away as the Winds whisper a sad tale. Scents, sounds, and whispers of the wind confirm Kavi’s worry about coyotes. But the Winds whisper more to you.

Coyotes moving in small bands, not a single pack. Tracks of the scavengers moving alongside, if not herding trolls on a nighttime raid. What Kavi notices certainly indicates that. But then there is the image of a golden amulet floating in your mind, brought to you from Spirit Wind. A golden figure of the coyote.

“One for each and each for one,” the Wind whispers. “For their master, on silent feet they bring them. Around their necks they are placed and for the others… to the trolls they try to feed them…”

Storyteller Instructions  
So, it doesn't seem that this place really is all that quiet! How does everyone want to handle this?

Mon, Jan 8th 2024 10:02

I listen intently as the Spirit Winds whisper of a golden figure of the coyote amulet. “One for each and each for one,” the Wind whispers. “For their master, on silent feet they bring them. Around their necks they are placed and for the others… to the trolls they try to feed them…”   I feel like there is more being said than I can truly grasp, but I know I need to share this information quickly with those close to me before the attack comes - and it is coming quickly!   I hurriedly tell the others of what the Spirit Wind said as well as my interpretation. "I truly feel that there is a mastermind behind the actions of the coyotes and what happened to this town. But first, we have to deal with the incoming attack. There are several bands of coyotes around us, and they are herding the trolls to somewhere. Sadly, we are in the way. Get ready!"   I pull my armor and Warhammer from air and they quickly slot into position as I shift my stance to brace against the oncoming attack.
Nahbi leaned out from behind the herb bush, where Kavi hopefully could see him fairly clearly. Nahbi held an imaginary big round loaf of something in his hand, smelled it, tore it in half, and took a bite of one invisible piece. Then he widened his eyes in surprise. Then he swung his fists and elbows in little circles.   Then he held one forearm out horizontal and moved his other rounded hand rising from the palm and setting in the elbow. Then he held up one finger.   He glanced up at the empty window above him then looked back at Kavi to see if he had his attention.   Finally, Nahbi patted one palm on his chest, followed by a finger hopping toward Kavi. The other palm he waved at Kavi and the others followed by a finger hopping back to Nahbi and to the open window.   He ended the charade with a quizzical look to Kavi and waited for a reply.
Mon, Jan 15th 2024 01:15

Strictly speaking, there was no requirement for environmental changes in the pathway between houses.
An aftertaste of heated tin arose in an invisible cloud around the elf, flavoring the midsummer air. It was no more mandatory a portent of imminent violence than the way each strand of her hair, the glossy white of coldwater agate, drifted upward to float in the air around her. The electrically charged hair formed a spiny half-circle halo behind and beside her; the ozone taste in the air billowed outward like an intangible cloak.

Most of all, the sharply intoned words of benediction were not a necessary component of the divine summons.

"Dumoasen dal l'Talya nizzik dosst kampi'unin!" Chaliimriia snapped, as crisply as the twang of a loosed arrow.
Red lightning sparked from the holy symbol in her left hand. It arced directly toward the approaching disturbance right of center.

With her right hand, Chaliimriia drew the bowstring taut: if one among the central three targets were to hop upward and forward in their efforts to escape the blessing, she intended to hit them with a much more corporeal objection.
Sat, Jan 20th 2024 11:19   Edited on Sun, Jan 21st 2024 12:49

Kavi managed half a silent reply to Nahbi. A few words of sign language at best, telling him to sneak inside a house for a closer look, before life took a sharp turn.

The wind picked up with sharp burst. Sulini whispered her warning a second before she summoned both Warhammer and armor. The glimmer of power, and the Kimeta’s warning, was more than enough of an alarm to the group’s leader.

Then the heavens split with god-touched fury.

Behind the group, Chaliimriira called on the goddess, and the Great Huntress respectfully replied. Angry, blood red lightning leaped from the elf’s holy symbol and stabbed out into the stretch of grass behind the heroes.

Holy lightning arced once, twice, a third time. Canine-like shrieks flooded the air. The tall grass rippled as two sleek figures, crouched low and raced out in either direction around the group. One raced left, the other right, both obviously intent to flank the newcomers.

At the epicenter the spell, three coyote-shaped figures were outlined in smoke and power. The three yelled and shook. Two fell to the grass with a thud, but the third managed to keep it’s feet.

In fact the coyote crouched on its hind legs but only for a moment. But a moment was enough.

The beast’s eyes flashed a brilliant smoke-green. A glow no one could miss. It half-yipped, half-barked. The sound eerily almost approaching a word. Then the air came alive with power. After the spell was cast, the wounded coyote fell like a rock into the grass.

Everywhere around the group, nature woke up and chose violence.

Grass extended into vines, lashing out like whips at Kavi, Sulini, Chaliimriia, and even Nahbi. Though the latter had it worst, as he was ambushed by the herb with the vengeance of a over-spiced pepper. Branches swiped at Nahbi with a flurry of barbed leaves. A deadly blur of potent plant power intent to harm the young monk.

Meanwhile, as the grass lashed out to grab and clutch at Sulini, Kavi, and Challiimriia, larger clumps of weeds sprang to life. They grew to a terrifying size of nearly six feet in height. Thick, stout golems made of grass, each with a pair of two foot tall trolls riding on its back.

Storyteller Instructions  
Reflex saving throws for everybody and a post on how you’re avoiding … or not… the impending problem!

Sun, Jan 21st 2024 02:37   Edited on Sun, Jan 21st 2024 02:38

I whisper as much warning as I can and I see the priestess take action immediately with a glorious lightning strike! And then, from out of the grass in front of use arise two grass golems around six feet in height and sporting a pair of two-foot-tall trolls. Who knew that trolls could be so little - but still not cute.   "Mogh!"   But that is a problem for the future. Right now, I have grass reaching out to whip, slash, and cut me as well as trying to pull my weapon from my hands. This Warhammer is not the best weapon at this moment, so I put it away quickly and pull out my two daggers to begin a defensive twirling in a deadly arc cutting anything that makes it within the reach of either dagger.
Mon, Jan 22nd 2024 02:42

Such ungracious behavior!
Chaliimriia stepped back hastily. Then the lashing grass-vines drove her a step to her left; another. The boiled leather of her boot sole clunked faintly against wood. She vaguely recalled an upended half-barrel lying in the dirt, a few of its staves missing such that it was obviously empty. Whether its intended fate had been to be repaired for future use as a harvest basket, or to scavenge the hoops, Chaliimriia hoped it would remain sturdy for fifteen minutes, because she stepped up onto its flat round head.

That would hopefully confound any grass that lashed at less than two feet above the good dirt.
Which was good, because she gently released the tension on her bowstring, and unnocked the arrow. She hastily returned the arrow to the quiver at her hip. Then she swapped the chain necklace and its sword-shaped pendant to her right hand. With the bow, she swatted away whatever grass-vines had gotten too close.

Chaliimriia chanted the Stern Renunciation of Tumult.
As she chanted, the hilt of her sword-shaped holy symbol flicked outward to east, to south, to west, to north; she dropped to a low crouch, leaning forward precariously to stab the point of the pendant into the ground. Almost as swiftly, she rose to stand again. Her left arm continued upward, rushing to pierce the air as high as she could reach on the tips of her toes.
Finally, the priestess brought the holy symbol down as she returned her posture to normal. (A "normal" balanced atop an overturned half-barrel, not the most stable, but her carriage would have the same slightly bent knees on solid ground or a mountain slope.) She pressed the flat of the silver blade to her chest, immediately below her collarbone, as she finished the last words of the chant.
Nahbi took his direction from Kavi, thankful that he had had the wisdom to leave his weapons and loose personal articles back with the others so that he could move nearly silently. But he did not have much time to complete his mission.   That lightning strike from an otherwise clear sky felt like one of those points where the plans get rewritten immediately. It caused a sound like barks of three coyotes learning a painful lesson. Then came the verdant eruption of what just absolutely had to be another two trolls like the two they had vanquished earlier. Yes, that was surely enough to rewrite the battle plans.   Nahbi prepared to spring back to the others and help defeat the noisome plant-like monsters.   That was when he was struck - with that feeling - that feeling like Brother Shia had suddenly decided it was time to practice sneak attack responses. Nahbi did not know what was swiping at him, but he knew it meant him to bleed. He reflexively slapped his chest to the ground, then attempted to roll away from whoever or whatever wanted him dead.
Reflex Save | 1d20+10
Kavi stepped back and to the left as the grass woke up on the bad side of the garden. Sword out, he swept the blade down to his left, then right. Sliced tendrils flew around him the grass could grab onto his legs.

Vines replaced grass and lashed out. Kavi swung again, stepping back but was a half-second too slow. One vine rapidly coiled around his sword arm, restricting his movement. Before he could swap hands, a second vine snagged his left, trapping it in a similar fashion.

He snarled and flexed. But the magic of the vines held against the ranger’s seasoned strength. A sound caught his ears from the tall grass, past the point where Chaliimriia had unleashed the blessing of the Huntress against the coyote pack.

In the distance, grass whipped and moved as if something was approaching. Over it, he thought he saw a raven. Kavi would have said more but he was immediately distracted as one of the Grass Golems charged at him with its smaller troll riders.
Sat, Feb 17th 2024 07:51   Edited on Sun, Feb 18th 2024 05:41

The nearest Grass Golem rushed Kavi with astounding speed, covering a few yards in seconds. With his arms trapped by coils of vines, he couldn’t defend himself with his sword. But that wasn’t his only option.

Before the golem reached him with it’s pair of troll riders, Kavi dropped to a crouch at the last moment. Unable to stop, the golem charged forward until it’s grassy knees collided with the ranger’s thick shoulders. On impact, Kavi shoved up.

The Golem sailed over his head to crash into the dirt road behind him. Tiny troll riders were pitched sideways, one to his right and the other to his left right in front of Sulini, who was ready with her hammer.

Sulini, for that matter, had been ready with her daggers. Moving like a bladed whirlwind, she cut down and across. Weedy vines fall away in chunks, littering the ground around Sulini like a summoning circle for a bladed dervish.

Once she came a stop, the errant tiny troll crashed to the ground in front of her. It gave a gargled snort then bared woody fangs at her. More accurately, at her kneecaps.

Close by, Challiimriia finished casting her spell from on top of the upended half-barrel. A bright red-gold shaft of light flashed down from above, then exploded outward in all directions. The magical wave passed over anything and everyone within 10 feet of the priestess, such as all of Sulini and Kavi’s left arm.

The tiny troll of terror that had hissed at Sulini, screamed then waved its tiny murder arms around its head. Almost as if it swatted at invisible bees. With another shriek in its wake the magic shoved the minuscule monster out of the circle past Sulini. At the same time, the vine that had trapped Kavi’s left arm shuddered then instantly shriveled. The mummified plant crumbled away to the ground.

Closer to Chaliimriia, the second Grass Golem along with its drooling tiny troll riders slammed into the protection magic like a runaway wagon. All three hit face first, then were thrown back to the ground. The tiny trolls recovered first, both a bundle of bloody bestial rage. They raced forward again, until the magic stopped them, leaving them to claw at the glowing barrier in the air. Meanwhile, the Grass Golem they had been riding slowly lumbered to its feet, like a bugbear recovering from a night out at the tavern.

At the nearest house, Nahbi suffered his own thorny dilemma. Rosemary branches with sharp leaves whipped and slapped at the monk. But, true to form, Nahbi dropped to the ground in a blur, avoiding the more painful slices. Only the first few left a stinging reminder of their bloody intent.

Nahbi quickly rolled to his right, away from the house and bush. The last two whips from branches slapped dust and ground in his wake. Before he could stand, the Rosemary Bush yanks itself out by the roots. Standing on two crow-like claws, the bestial bush shook itself while it grew two long thorn-covered vines.

From the tall grass, the two remaining coyotes rush in, snarling. One leaps to attack Sulini, the other Kavi. The first misjudges the leap, so a sharp bite misses. But the coyote’s stubby claws rake long gashes along Sulini’s thigh between the lamellar horn plates. The beast hits the ground and circles past Sulini, obviously able to cross Chaliimriia barrier but suffering some effect as it’s shaking while it did so.

Kavi manages to deflect the coyote attacking him, batting it aside with his free hand. It yelps, failing through the air before it hits the ground with a thud. It jumps to its feet, snarling.

Just then, in the distance from the direction Lia had taken, Derf soars through the air in your direction. A distant screaming accompanies him like a dramatic herald, along with two young human children, a boy and a girl in dirt-stained, tattered clothes.

The trio are racing toward the group in a panic. Derf is announcing something but sadly no one but Lia speaks ‘Panic-Striken Raven’ much less ‘Raven’.

In their wake, coming from the direction of the town four more coyotes are racing right for Derf and the children.

Storyteller Instructions  
Whew! Well, that was fun!

Ok! So… Nahbi! This is a Killer Rosemary Bush that is all stepping into your zone. Attack of opportunity there if you’re interested!

Sulini! You also get an attack of opportunity on the Tiny Troll of Terror as it tumbles by if you want to take it! Sadly, you also have taken 2 points of damage.

Kavi is very keen to get his right side free of the vine.

Other than that, how do ya’ll want to handle this? There’s screaming people incoming with a babbling Derf! More coyotes and some REALLY frustrated golems and trolls who are apparently blocked by Chaliimriia’s spell!

Act fast!

Nahbi quickly rolled to his right, away from the house and the bush. The last two whips from branches slapped dust and ground in his wake.   Before he could stand, something stepped toward him on two crow-like clawed feet. He had no doubt it was something that wanted him dead. He spun his whole body, winding up a heel kick, hoping to break both of those legs to give him time to kip himself up into a running stance at his first opportunity.   Then he saw the crow legs belonged to the Rosemary Bush, having yanked itself out by the roots and also grown two long thorn-covered vines. This was a very unusual day.
Unarmed kick Attack of Opportunity on the Bush | 1d20+7, 1d8+2
17, 6
Mon, Feb 19th 2024 12:20

Nahbi spun sharp and smart, with a hard heel kick at the crow-legs of the bush. Heedless of the danger, the Rosemary Bush trundled forward, thorn whips at the ready. Nahbi’s kick was true, hitting the spindly branch legs.

There was a sharp crack but true to new growth, the legs didn’t break; they snapped and splintered. New legs dangling like bow-legged boat oars, the bestial bush instead tumbled on its side like a lethal tumbleweed. It swerved off around Nahbi, intent as a violent bush could be at trying to flank the monk.

Storyteller Instructions  
Next up, Sulini! Are you taking that attack of opportunity?

Mon, Feb 19th 2024 01:22

The tiny troll of terror that had hissed at me, screamed then waved its tiny murder arms around its head almost as if it swatted at invisible bees. I am really beginning to like that priestess. She has a delicate sense of the correct response to take as the situation changes and is fluid like the wind in adapting. Kavi has made a good choice in her.   With another shriek in its wake the magic shoved the minuscule monster out of the circle past me, but before it gets out of range, I summon my trusty Warhammer and bash the little monster helping it to feel the full degree of frustration that its appearance has caused me and my family.   I then stand and take the few moments afforded by the barrier and look closely at the moss monsters and tiny trolls looking for any weaknesses that can be exploited - quickly or not.
Mon, Feb 19th 2024 01:43

Sulini took a step back, mindful of the wound on her leg from the coyote, and extended a hand into the air. Magic exploded to life as her warhammer materialized into being. With a swift motion, she swung down at the tiny troll.

The miniature murder moss gargled then shrieked for only a second before Sulini’s hammer fell like a mountain on an overripe avocado. Green ichor spurted out in all directions as the combination of the hammer combined with the priestess’ spell was more than the fetid fiend could handle.

While she let the rest of the tiny troll drip away off the head of her hammer, Sulini frowned at the motley collection past the magical barrier.

Her innate talent at finding flaws and weaknesses picked apart what she saw. None of the creatures wore armor, simply because their ‘armor’ was natural. Trolls, being moss, have a vulnerability to heat, fire or even extreme cold. Grass? Much the same.

But the Grass Golems looked to hold an additional defense. They were magically woven into their form. A hammer? They would simply bend with the blow. It would take a blade to cut them down to size. Especially at the joints where the ‘weave’ was weakest.

Storyteller Instructions  
That’s all the Attacks of Opportunity! Now, how do you all want to handle this?

Thu, Mar 28th 2024 12:18

The two coyotes nearest Kavi and the group circle around. Each charge in and run into Chaliimriia’s spell. But as the holy magic is only partially effective, they power their way through the barrier.

One charges Kavi, the other Sulini. The first manages a bit on Kavi’s leg, punching through the thick hide to leave an ugly bite. At the same time, the second coyote snapped a bite at Sulini. A quick one that just scratched skin.

Beyond the spell, the surviving tiny trolls tried to follow the coyotes’ example, but didn’t succeed. The murderous moss clawed and scratched at the magic field while it continued to shove the small monsters away from the group.

Or at least most of the group.

Kavi, unlike Sulini and Chaliimriia was still caught by vines wrapped around his arms. The spell reached only to cover half his body. His right side was unprotected and vulnerable to the trolls, if they notice.

Closer to town, the Rosemary Bush rolled a few feet away from Nahbi. It paused, then raced right at the monk. A quick bounce before it hurled itself at the monk’s head. But if a bush could miscalculate, this one did. The Rosemary Bush sailed just past Nahbi’s right side to slam against the wall of the house in a crash of leaves and dry twigs.

Storyteller Instructions  
That’s 6 points of damage for Kavi!

That’s 2 points of damage for Sulini!

Next up, Chaliimriia!

Thu, Mar 28th 2024 09:47

Chaliimriia continued to pray as she grabbed an arrow from her quiver.
Her voice remained at conversational volume. The last beat of the Stern Renunciation of Tumult chant led without missing a step into The Rogation of Sá Becoming Thraumr, from The Codices of Mayboia Passage. That prayer, half myth-recitation and half warning list for Signs of Hidden Sinkhole, contained no relevance to a deadly fight with plant monsters. It came to her lips only because it was the first ritual that she had ever worked to learn exactly right: every syllable adjusted just so to carry in the space where it was spoken, duration and volume and note and pronunciation, her thousandth recital should be indistinguishable in the ears of the listener to the ten thousandth recital by her tutor's tutor. It was the first work she had ever laboured to learn so that her performance would be exactly right.

She needed her next four actions to be exactly right.

(Had not the Kimeta told us something about necks?)
(Dog-shaped creatures might have collars around their necks.)
(Concealed under matted fur, perhaps.)
(I am not an accomplished enough archer to make such a shot from this angle.)
(Perhaps if I aim just barely inside the shoulder. I have no chance of the throat, the muzzle is in the way. I may strike the chest. On an upward bound, I may strike the bottom edge of a hidden collar, or if it is not there, the lumpy top edge of the sternum. If not, still my arrow may lodge in the shoulder joint, or foul the elbow, so that the creature may trip.)

She fired at the lead of the four newly-sighted coyotes, the ones pursuing children. If it stumbled, if it fell, it might delay those beside or behind it.

Automatically she drew the next arrow from her quiver. At the edge of her view, rather more red appeared on Kavi's green skin than she expected.
Sun, Mar 31st 2024 10:18

The arrow slammed into the shoulder of lead coyote an instant before the beast had time to react. Impact and pain jarred the creature, in mid-step causing it to trip and fall muzzle first into the grass and dirt with a yelp. The other coyotes running with it came to a quick stop and surrounded the leader defensively. They glanced between the running children, Derf, and their wounded leader.

Suddenly, the coyote to the far right of that group yelped in a mix of surprise and pain as it half-leaped to the side. Where the coyote had been, a kobold in a saffron-brown monk’s robes who had just completed a flurry of punches, leaped over the remaining coyotes in the direction of the children.

In a burst of blinding speed, the kobold raced through the grass, out-pacing the stunned coyote pack in seconds. Head down, eyes fixed, he seemed determined to catch up to Derf and the children.

Soaring through the air, Derf was anything but the picture of grace. Instead, he was closer to a manic drawing of anxiety painted over with a splash of feathered panic.

He shrieked and screeched at the group ahead, obviously recognizing Kavi, Chaliimriia, Sulini and Nahbi.
  “SHRIEK! SqwakSqwakSqwakSqwakSqwakSqwakSqwakSqwakSqwakSqwakSqwakSqwak!”
(* Translated from Raven) OY! BY THE GODDESS AND HER HOLY BUTT FEATHERS WE FOUND SOMETHING UGLY! IT’S LIKE BIG AND GRUMPY WITH MORE GRIPPY CLAWS THAN MY LAST LADYBIRD DATE! IT’S. GONNA. EAT. ME!

With a flurry of flapping, he shot forward like he had been launched from a crossbow. Derf angled in, turned once, twice then careened into Sulini’s side where he gripped her with a birdie boobie hug while babbling in rapid squawking.
  “Shriek! Caw Caw CAW Caw Caw CAW Caw Caw CAW!”
(* Translated from Raven) GODDESS’ TOUCHY TALONS! ARMOR! BIG, NICE, FRIENDLY WALL OF MUSCLE AND ARMOR! LIA’S BACK THERE! YOU GOTTA SAVE HER! IT’LL EAT HER, THEN BE COMING FOR ME! … and it’ll get those kids too… that would be bad…

Storyteller Instructions  
Next up is Nahbi and Sulini!

How do ya’ll want to handle this?

Thu, Apr 4th 2024 01:35   Edited on Thu, Apr 4th 2024 01:41

Ordinarily, Nahbi was not one to move against the orders of his Kwi’Sakdi leader, nor to run from a fight (even if the tales of his defeating an ill-tempered Rosemary bush would certainly raise more eyebrows than it would raise his honorable reputation). However, his gut told him that he would do better to relocate himself to protect his team and those human children running to them for protection.   "Ki!" he shouted from deep within. He sprinted toward Kavi, Sulini, and their new teammate Chaliimriia, all beset by enemies. He knew the foolishness of retreating from hand-to-hand combat, particularly against a wild creature, but hoped his burst of speed and the suddenness of his departure would protect him from any final parting swipes from the beast.   Approaching the team's battle, Nahbi shouted so that they all (particularly the Elven priestess) would not take him for another adversary approaching, "Kavi, mpohdo me!" as he crouched down to pick up the sword he had neatly left on the ground earlier and leapt upwards.   That particular tactical stunt usually required assistance from the other person, but when that other person was an Orc, a Medusa leaping onto his back and jumping off over a mess of coyotes and miniature trolls, well, it hardly required a shrug from Kavi.   Nahbi tried to apologize to Kavi and ask permission to proceed with his plan which he had assumed would be looked upon favorably by the team leader considering how he had long ago communicated his values and principles so that there would be no misunderstandings should the team be separated with little to no communication between the members when GROUND!   Nahbi tucked and rolled and was up running again toward the approaching children without a single syllable of his apology getting out of his mouth.   He made an assumption what language the children might speak and shouted to them, as close to a friendly tone as he could manage, "Seek the Elven Princess for safety!" pointing behind him with one thumb. Then he leapt over their heads, (not as difficult as practice had been at the Singing Sting Temple against full-grown adults), and tucked and rolled again, coming up into a run for only a few more steps, hoping the children would not have to decide if they thought him friend or foe, because he was then on the same side of them as the coyotes.   He stopped and planted both feet in the Earth Grounding Stance, aiming one empty hand at the coyote pack, and flourishing his sword. He tried to aim the flat of the sword at them in a way that would reflect the sun into their eyes, an ancient dirty trick. He did not know if he could make use of the sun's angle at this time.   Then he noticed the kobold running toward him and the children. Now it was his turn to decide if he thought this a friend or foe. He thought back to more training at the Singing Sting Temple regarding the uniforms of monks of nearby orders. For the moment, he thought the best introduction would be simply defending against the coyotes using The Way of The Scorpion.   Suddenly, "Priestess!" he blurted out. That was the word in Minosh, the common trade language, he should have said to the children.
Mon, Apr 8th 2024 05:25

The second coyote that managed to push through the barrier snapped a bite at me, a quick one that just scratched my skin. I shrug that off for now but know that I will feel it later. That makes two attacks on my legs from coyotes. I make a mental note to clean that and bandage it later as I don't want to be slowed down at a critical time later if I got an infection. I draw deeply on that frustration and decide that blunt force trauma from my war hammer will be the most satisfying as I imagine pulverizing the coyote.   There are many different actions that are in process all around me, but I do my best to focus on the here and now and what is directly in front of me. It feels as though time slows to molasses and I can see the fur on the coyote moving as a light breeze dances across its hide, the unique color of its eyes, the amulet around its neck. I remember what the spirit winds shared with me and wonder if this poor soul is the victim or not. Regardless, it is about to feel the frustration that this day continues to bring to me and mine.
Wed, May 1st 2024 10:58

In a blur of motion, Nahbi dashed away from the rabid Rosemary toward the children in peril. A whip of wind told him he narrowly missed thorns raking his back like a haphazard Zen garden. One dash, leap, and vault later with an assist from Kavi, Nahbi reached the children. He shouted instructions to them, then kept moving forward.

The children raced off toward Chaliimriia while Nabhi planted his feet before he faced the coyote pack. With a flourish, he caught the light of the sun off the flat of his blade. A sharp flash glinted against the metal, followed by frustrated growls and whimpers from the coyotes. The pack splits, running to Nahbi’s right and left, away from both the monk and the blinding light.

Not far back, closer to Kavi and Chaliimriia, Sulini spins her warhammer in a quick arc. Drawing down the power, she wills it to life through her hammer. Crackles of frost-lightning dance over its surface as she turns on the coyote. A mysterious wind stirs Sulini’s hair, while a light trail of powdered snow follows in her hammer’s wake.

The coyote tries to dodge aside, but fatigue, combat, and the effect of Chaliimriia’s spell fouled the beast’s attempt. Sulini hammers the coyote to the ground as if it was a runaway nail. It barely let out a snarl or even a cry of pain as the impact of the hammer and the frost effect took effect. The beast lay crumpled on the ground, unmoving, encased in a layer of deadly frost.

No sooner was the beast overwhelmed, it looked blurry, almost indistinct. One moment, it was a coyote, in the next it was an orc dressed in farmer’s clothing, quite dead from blunt force trauma and frost magic. A bent, but still golden amulet dangled around the dead body’s neck.

At the same moment, the grass golems collapsed in a heap. Alarmed, the mini-trolls raced for the safety of the town.

Still clutching Sulini, Derf peeked out from over her shoulder to gaze down at the dead villager.
  “Caw Caw, cawcaw caw caw caw cawcawcaw caw…”
(* Translated from Raven) Oy, unless I’d be drinkin’ a rum and loco weed milkshake… them doggie boys are cursed were-folk…

He patted Sulini armored shoulder with a wing. Not that she could really feel it.
  “Caw coocaw caw!”
(* Translated from Raven) Good hittin’ slugger!

Meanwhile, the children raced across the battlefield for Chaliimriia. With an agility known only to terrified children, they darted, dodged and weaved around the grass golems with a skill that would make a master monk proud. They clutched at the priestess’ clothing the second they arrived.

“Princess!” the boy, but was cut short by the girl.

“No, the monk man said ‘priestess’!” the girl snapped.

“Princess!” the boy objected.

Collectively, they looked at Chaliimriia with a pleading look.

“Princess Priestess! Please help! They’re taking the adults! Turning them into creatures! The plants are hurting everyone!”

Storyteller Instructions  
Roll for Initiative!