Guide to Character Creation
Having a character on Heroes is necessary for players in an RPG campaign, but it can also be useful for writers and worldbuilders in general in order to find the voice of that character.
Creating your characterOn your Global Dashboard, click the My Characters button (or the Characters link in the left sidebar) and click on the Create a new Character button, at the bottom of the screen. If you have never created a character, this page will be empty, but otherwise it will contain all your Heroes characters. Once you click the button, this form will appear:
In the above screenshot you can see an already-filled form for a character called Aiuei Eimaui (see her current profile here: Aiuei Eimaui). This information will appear in your character's public profile, and you will be able to change it later. Click the save button to finish creating the character!
Your profileYour character's profile will look like this:
Let's break down its different elements:
- Character profile (red): this box contains everything you entered in the character creation step. You can click the Edit button to change it.
- Player profile (cyan): this box has the name of the person who created the character, together with their World Anvil profile bio, a list of all public characters and links to social media (also from your World Anvil profile).
- Embedding box (yellow): this box contains a simple unique bbcode tag that you can copy and paste anywhere else on World Anvil. The code will generate a link to your character's Heroes profile. Note for Guild members: if you change your character's URL slug, this code will change too!
- Menu bar (purple): this contains links to different sections of your character's profile. The About section contains an extended profile for your character (see below). The rest of the tabs are explained in the Guide to character interaction.
- Post box (green): post on Heroes as your character! See the Guide to character interaction for more information.
Creating your extended profileIn order to fill in the About section of your character, click on the Edit button of their profile. A new page will open with the following menu bar:
The Basic Profile tab is just the information that appears in the simple profile box, what you entered when creating the character. In order to add content to the About section, you need to go to the Extended Profile tab. This will open a form with multiple text boxes, similar to the character article template. Fill them in as you wish and click on the Save changes button at the bottom of the page to update the profile!
Guild featuresIf you are a Guild member, there are three more options you can set for your character:
- Privacy: you can make the character Visible (anyone can see it) or Hidden (only you can see it).
- Custom URL: if you want your character's profile URL to contain instead of a random string of letters and numbers, use this field.
- Hero Profile CSS: use this box to define custom CSS that will be applied to your Hero profile only.