Having a character on Heroes is necessary for players in an RPG campaign, but it can also be useful for writers and worldbuilders in general in order to find the voice of that character.
Creating your character
On your Global Dashboard, click the My Characters
button (or the Characters
link in the left sidebar) and click on the Create a new Character
button, at the bottom of the screen. If you have never created a character, this page will be empty, but otherwise it will contain all your Heroes characters.
Once you click the button, this form will appear:
In the above screenshot you can see an already-filled form for a character called Aiuei Eimaui (see her current profile here: Aiuei Eimaui
). This information will appear in your character's public profile, and you will be able to change it later. Click the save button to finish creating the character!
Your character's profile will look like this:
Let's break down its different elements:
- Character profile (red): this box contains everything you entered in the character creation step. You can click the Edit button to change it.
- Player profile (cyan): this box has the name of the person who created the character, together with their World Anvil profile bio, a list of all public characters and links to social media (also from your World Anvil profile).
- Embedding box (yellow): this box contains a simple unique bbcode tag that you can copy and paste anywhere else on World Anvil. The code will generate a link to your character's Heroes profile. Note for Guild members: if you change your character's URL slug, this code will change too!
- Menu bar (purple): this contains links to different sections of your character's profile. The About section contains an extended profile for your character (see below). The rest of the tabs are explained in the Guide to character interaction.
- Post box (green): post on Heroes as your character! See the Guide to character interaction for more information.
Creating your extended profile
In order to fill in the About
section of your character, click on the Edit
button of their profile. A new page will open with the following menu bar:
The Basic Profile
tab is just the information that appears in the simple profile box, what you entered when creating the character. In order to add content to the About
section, you need to go to the Extended Profile
tab. This will open a form with multiple text boxes, similar to the character article template. Fill them in as you wish and click on the Save changes
button at the bottom of the page to update the profile!
If you are a Guild member, there are three more options you can set for your character:
- Privacy: you can make the character Visible (anyone can see it) or Hidden (only you can see it).
- Custom URL: if you want your character's profile URL to contain instead of a random string of letters and numbers, use this field.
- Hero Profile CSS: use this box to define custom CSS that will be applied to your Hero profile only.
What can I use characters for? Heroes helps you give life to your characters! Thanks to its social network-inspired design, all characters can interact with each other, which can help you develop their personality and history. Additionally, you're also able to use your characters in an RPG campaign, since Heroes is also a campaign manager!
Will my characters be public? Yes, all characters are public by default. If you are a Guild member, you have the option to set them as hidden.
Can I track my character's stats? If your character has an associated RPG character sheet, there will be an additional Sheet option in the menu bar of the character's profile. Not all character sheets have a trackable version, but, if they do, it will appear there, allowing you to track your stats directly from their profile.
What about equipment? You can also track your character's equipment from the Equipment tab of the profile's menu bar! You can add an item name, type and quantity.
Can I edit my character from the world itself? Yes! Edit the character profile and connect it to their campaign world. After the page reloads, you'll be able to edit the character directly from the worldbuilding interface (instead of Heroes).
If you go edit your character and look at the right side bar, you will find this box:
You can use the first buttons to connect the character with one of your worlds. The world will then appear in the character's profile, and the character will appear in the world's main page.
Giving access to the GM
Using the button at the bottom of the same box, you can give the GM of your campaign edit access to the character (provided the character has joined a campaign).