Guide to character creation
Having a character on Heroes is necessary for players in an RPG campaign, but it can also be useful for writers and worldbuilders in general in order to find the voice of that character.
Creating your characterOn your Global Dashboard, click the My Characters button (or the Characters link in the left sidebar) and click on the Create a new Character button, at the bottom of the screen. If you have never created a character, this page will be empty, but otherwise it will contain all your Heroes characters. Once you click the button, this form will appear:
Your profileYour character's profile will look like this:
- Character profile (red): this box contains everything you entered in the character creation step. You can click the Edit button to change it.
- Player profile (cyan): this box has the name of the person who created the character, together with their World Anvil profile bio, a list of all public characters and links to social media (also from your World Anvil profile).
- Embedding box (yellow): this box contains a simple unique bbcode tag that you can copy and paste anywhere else on World Anvil. The code will generate a link to your character's Heroes profile. Note for Guild members: if you change your character's URL slug, this code will change too!
- Menu bar (purple): this contains links to different sections of your character's profile. The About section contains an extended profile for your character (see below). The rest of the tabs are explained in the Guide to character interaction.
- Post box (green): post on Heroes as your character! See the Guide to character interaction for more information.
Creating your extended profileIn order to fill in the About section of your character, click on the Edit button of their profile. A new page will open with the following menu bar:
Guild featuresIf you are a Guild member, there are three more options you can set for your character:
- Privacy: you can make the character Visible (anyone can see it) or Hidden (only you can see it).
- Custom URL: if you want your character's profile URL to contain instead of a random string of letters and numbers, use this field.
- Hero Profile CSS: use this box to define custom CSS that will be applied to your Hero profile only.