Guide to Content Trees
Content Trees are a Grandmaster+ Feature!
If you want to use them, please consider supporting World Anvil!
Step-by-step guideYou can access your content trees from the Charts option in the sidebar. Click the Create a new Content Tree on the right to get started and fill in the different fields (the only required one is the Title). Click the create button on the right and you'll be redirected to this interface:
Adding new itemsIn order to add a new item, use the Add new item box. You can select the article you want to add with the Article drop-down and choose a parent article with the Parent item one, which will classify the new item under the specified parent. Click the Save Changes button and watch the new item appear in the left preview! You can also drag and drop items in the box on the left to change their parent articles.
Advanced optionsThe above is enough to create a basic tree, but sometime you need a higher degree of customisation. While adding a new item, you can click on Show Advanced Options to edit the way the item will be displayed. The options available are:
- Title: you can change the display title of the article if you don't want to publicly display the actual article title.
- Description: you can add a short description that will override the article's excerpt (if it has one).
- Cover image: just like with the description, the cover image you add here will override the one you set in the article's Design tab.
- Privacy status: public trees will be accessible to anyone, while private ones will only be accessible to you.
- Subscriber groups: if the tree is private, choose who can access it. More information in the Guide to Subscribers.
Adding multiple items at onceIf you have been using tags to organise your articles, you can use the Add Multiple Items tab to add all tagged articles to the tree! Just type the tag in the text box and click save. The articles you add with this method will not be structured, but you can always use the drag-and-drop system to organise them.
Rather watch a video? Check out the Quick Guide here!
How do I delete a Tree? Click Other actions (beneath the Save Changes button), which will reveal the deletion button. Be sure of it though, once it's gone there's no going back!
How do I delete a single item? Click the pencil button next to the item. This will take you to an interface to edit the item's details, including a delete button.
Can I add historical events or images? Currently, Content Trees can only have articles, using any template.
Can an item have multiple parents? No, but they can have multiple children.