Luck-Intent Magic System
Other Notes on Mythos 1.3
Our predicament? Well, we're preparing to invade the Republic of Mitrand. Due to our smaller army, others are trying to pry us out of hiding, trying to force us to fight in this war. Fools! Never thinking past the next battle, never knowing what havoc a magic war would wreak!– Lieutenant Denmore, Society of Magisters in his journal
- The universe was created by three gods, who themselves sprung up from infinite improbability.
- When the three gods made the universe, they wanted it to be fun to play with.
- Therefore, they edited physics to include two new parameters: luck and intent, found in all beings.
- Luck is basic chance: unpredictable, uncontrollable (at least for most), that makes it more likely for things to go according to a being.
- Intent is the opposite: one's will, providing a direction for the being. All sapient lifeforms can control intent, while non-sapient beings cannot.
- The gods, with infinite luck, can make all things go exactly the way they want it to.
- One other, lesser, species, the magister, is also of interest.
- Living literally near a sleeping god, they have evolved (over millions of years) an ability to control their finite stores of luck and intent.
- Due to being able to fuse luck and intent and transfer it between beings, they are quite powerful.
- However, infusing intent-luck into an object amounts to giving it a rudimentary sentience: after all, intent and luck are the two components of any living thing. Once given, this intent-luck cannot be changed: an ice-pick cannot be asked to chop wood, for example.
- This is exactly why magisters wish not to be involved in wars. Magisters, when fighting, logically must construct preemptive defenses like intent-luck minefields to defend against other magisters, minefields near-impossible to remove. If magisters truly warred, the aftermath would last for millennia. Civilization would never again return to Ironfoot.
The year length of the planet is 0.4 times Earth's, and the day length is approximately equivalent to Earth's. Months have 11, 12, or 13 days, and weeks are seven days long. Here is a calendar of the current year.
147.02 Earth day year (144.17 local days)
24.475 Earth hour local day
4.9x Earth surface area
2 moons, one with an 11 day cycle, another with a 14 day cycle
Area: ~800,000 km2
Population: ~12 million
Climate: Temperate maritime to subtropical
There has been only one battle between magisters, but it may give us an example of the destruction a magister war could cause...
The island of Pakani is an icy wasteland with few trees and even fewer animals. But it wasn't always this way. Before, it had been a bustling port city, with thousands of people living on what was a tropical paradise. The magisters will not allow this tragedy to happen again.
Society of Magisters
A bunch of diplomats ignored in the midst of war. Actually: powerful luck-intent magic users in hiding.
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild