Guide to running a session
The Digital Storyteller Screen (from now on, just DSTS) is a set of tools designed to be used while you run a session. It includes an encounter manager, a notebook, a log tracker, a handout screen and a virtual diceroller (among others). This page will guide through all the options in the DSTS.
Starting a sessionAssuming you have already prepared your campaign, go to the Sessions section of the campaign and click on the green Start button of the session you want to start running:
Using the DSTS
HomeThe Home page of the DSTS looks like this:
- Top menu (red): it contains all the different sections of the DSTS. Read below for more information on each section.
- Party box (purple): you can see the profile picture of the PCs of your party. Clicking on the View Party link will take you to another screen where you can manage different party settings (see below). You can also click the pictures of the characters to quickly see their profile.
- Message box (green): use this to send messages to your players. You can also send them as private so they will be for your eyes only.
- Session stream (yellow): below the message box you can find a stream of everything your players post during the session.
- Dice roller and log (cyan): Click on any dice to roll it! You can also input the formula using standard dice format (e.g. 3d20+5). All dice rolls are logged and will appear in the dice log box below it (including your players' rolls).
PartyYou can access the Party screen by clicking the View party link in the DSTS sidebar. This will open a page with the PCs, the quests and the shared equipment you set while configuring the campaign. The options in this section work just like the ones explained in Guide to campaign creation, so take a look at that guide for more information.
NotesThe Notes section lets you take session notes (as well as read other sessions' notes). The Notebooks are persistent and universal, meaning that they won't be deleted when the session ends and will always appear, no matter what world or campaign you are in. When you first open Notes, you will find a single notebook called My First Notebook and, if you had any previous notes before Heroes, they will appear inside an Old Notes section. In the following screenshot, you can see three sections: Dungeons and Cookies (another campaign), Old Notes and The Lair of the Cookie King (which is the currently selected one):
LibraryThe Library lets you quickly look up articles and blocks for your campaign world. When in the Library section, use the search box at the top of the screen to find them. When you click on them, their full text will appear:
Image GalleryThe Image Gallery contains a list of all images you have added in your campaign (including NPC art). To upload new media, just drag and drop them in the box (or click on it to select from your computer). When the image is uploaded, three buttons will appear on the image, as you can see in the screenshot:
Audio/Video CollectionYou can also add Spotify, SoundCloud or YouTube files in your campaign? Just name them and paste a link in the text box and click the Add to Library button:
PlotsThis section of the DSTS is similar to the Library. The sidebar has a list of all plots you added to the campaign before the session started. Clicking on a plot will bring the World Anvil article up so you can read it form the DSTS: