Birthdays among humans in Octiragrin
Birthdays in Octiragrin for at least humans are celebrated on the date a person was born if possible. Exceptions may be made for illness, travel delays, etc.
Birthdays have been celebrated in Octiragrin since the fall of the eight gods/goddesses. Traditionally, birthdays are celebrated with devotion to the gods/goddesses, a large decorated cake, gifts, and being surrounded by family and friends. On the 16th birthday, the celebrants take the birthday person to a pub, tavern, inn or other such establishment for drinks.
Traditionally, a loose schedule of events goes like this:
- 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM - the birthday honoree (and perhaps family/friends) bring votive offerings and spend time in communion wiht the god/goddess of the month. This may occur at The Temple or a personal shrine. The devotees will be praying for blessing, direction, health, etc. for the next year.
- 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM - family breakfast / nap
- 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM - games
- 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM - The feast begins. (The feast may be a formal luncheon or a buffet that lasts the rest of the day.) This is also when the cake comes out, gifts are given to the honoree, and party favors are distributed to the guests.
- 6:00 PM to 12:00 AM - if the honoree is 16 or older, he/she is taken out for drinks or alcohol is served in the home. If the honoree is younger, there are more games and favorite delicacies and non-alcoholic beverages are served.
Components and tools
- Votive offerings
- Feast including favorite foods of the birthday person
- Large (perhaps multitiered) cake
- Party favors for all guests
- Alcohol at age 16 and above
- Meaningful gifts
Birthday person, family, and friends.
All day long on the honoree's birthday from 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM.