Meeting of the Minds | Wednesday's Child Chapter 2 in Star Wars: Shards Discussion Boards | World Anvil
Mon, Apr 8th 2024 10:57   Edited on Tue, May 7th 2024 10:02

Meeting of the Minds

ship Engineering sm.webp
Holoscan of a ship's engineering bay by CB Ash

As Kipo and Nyx take in they’ve finally caught up, a manic, wild-furred squib races out of Engineering like his backside was on fire, or at least the parts he favored most. Gray-green fur was pointed in all sorts of directions, not to mention peeking out of holes in his tattered technician coveralls.

The wild look in his eyes told his story. It was a mixture of terror stirred energetically with the prospect of freedom and meeting new people, stirred frantically like an agitated cup of caf in a blender. The squib, came to a fast stop between Kipo and Nyx.

“Atmo! Losing Atmo!” He looked from Nyx to Kipo then pointed frantically with both hands in a direction deeper into the ship.

Which might have been more dramatic if he hadn’t pointed at a solid wall.

SHE knows!” the squib managed to squeak out between gasps. Then, as if that one secure portion of his mind that still held manners, if not sanity, peeked out, he blinked at Nyx. As if he had just focused on her standing there.

“Oh, hello. Callan Gelfar, technician 9th class,” he said with a pleasant smile and nod.

But it wasn’t to last, as the wild look returned as if panic had ambushed the squib’s rational mind, tied it up, then tossed it into a nearby closet.

“This has to be because of *Her*!” Callan said with a knowing glance at Kipo. “She’ll send her troopers!”

Down the passageway behind Nyx, the ghostly, if not holographic, human technician in the ragged coveralls picked up his pace. Arms extended, he half-limped, half-ran toward the group. Mouth working slowly as if struggling to say a phrase, or perhaps a word.

Storyteller Instructions
If ever I saw a chance for RP… I think this is it. So what do ya’ll do?
Wed, Apr 10th 2024 02:16

"We need to shut down a machine in the data room alongside the ship’s main data core," Kipo told Nyx at the same time she was telling him something loudly. He had to shout so loudly through the rebreather that he couldn't hear what she said.   "I rescued him. Callan's crewmates are captured. ...maybe still alive." He shouted, hoping he was answering her question. But at the same time she said something else, getting more than a little perturbed.   "Sorry," Kipo apologized, pulling off the troublesome rebreather, "You go first."   But just as she was about to start again, Kipo blurted out, "Do you see that gimp behind you?"   That didn't help.   "Sorry, you go first."
Fri, Apr 12th 2024 08:09   Edited on Fri, Apr 12th 2024 08:16

I think I saw this act at an amusement park once, I did not like it then either. I eye the squib cautiously, not that it even notices. "What kind of machine?"   "Which member of the crew is that?" I look at the fur fried squib and point toward the limping hologram just glad everyone can see it. "And what is his deal?"   I extend Jane's scorched drone to Kipo I think she has a few flaws or maybe the ship has given her a bad case of indigestion. Either way this piece swallowed too much current right before causing me to delay and giving me bad information. Bad information, very old and out of date information" Repeating and stressing the words as I study Kipo for a reaction to my comment making sure to use my off hand extending the part to his on hand.
Tue, Apr 16th 2024 08:38

Kipo took the offered fried drone from Nyx and gave it an instant of inspection while saying, "I'm guessing Jane's working on the atmo problem while SHE," (He fingered symbols for quotation marks in the air while mimicking the way Callan said the ominous pronoun, "is interfering with the drones."   Then to Callan, "Yeah, what's up with Limpy over there? Is he flammable?"
Sun, May 5th 2024 07:40

Callan twitched, which was closer to a suppressed jump, at the mention of his name. The Squib tech spun around to look where Nyx and Kipo indicated. His eyes went wide at the sight of the ghostly, almost holographic, human mechanic in tattered coveralls.

“I… I don’t know his name.” Callan shook his head frantically. “I don’t know most of their names. But I’m almost sure they were here way before I was. They follow everyone around who comes aboard.”

He shuddered.

“If they grab you, they stun you. Like an ion bolt. I’ve seen footage of them attacking dozens of dock workers. Once they hit someone, they get more ‘solid’. Almost like it changes them. I don’t understand it at all. It’s like they want something…”

Callan’s words trailed off a moment.

“I stay away from them. Fire doesn’t bother them, but I think their like ‘digital ghosts’? So you can use ion bolts to disrupt them. Sonic bolts work, too.”
Tue, May 7th 2024 10:02   Edited on Tue, May 7th 2024 10:03

Nyx looks at Kipo with a wry smile.
  ”Some dates just go bad. I don’t think he has embraced that we have nothing in common and I don’t see a future between us.”
  ”I wonder if you could override the internship local comm system bypassing the decibel safety protocol for a focused sonic attack or a sonic wall?"
  She looks at the twitchy squib with what she considers a smile which actually shows her sharp incisors. With the practiced flick or her wrist her staff extends to full length and crackles with a surge of electricity. She considers now.   ”I thought maybe he would be attracted to a power supply, however he has a ship full of power and he is still following me. So maybe it is some type of focus on life or biology, just my luck. A clingy date.”