Whitworth was a major Terran world first colonized in the late 21st century
LocationWhitworth is located in the BD-98.11A star system, renamed the Hoevard system in the year 2140. Whitworth is the fifth planet in the star-system and is a "super-Earth", roughly twice the size of the Earth. It has a similar climate, though both of its poles are much much colder and ice locked for around 9 months of the year. Whitworth is prone to long rainy seasons in the middle continents which can go on for many months. Around 50% of the planet is covered in seas or oceans. Colonization Considered a superb prospect for colonization by the scouting services, Whitworth was first colonized in 2082 after a Federation led expedition to the planet. There were corporate co-sponsors but the Federation took the lead on establishing the colony there. Around 60,000 people settled in Whitworth by 2090 and by 2190 there were nearly two hundred million people on the planet.
Native Flora and FaunaWhitworth is home to abundant natural life and very few of its animals are dangerous to humans, which greatly aided in its exploitation.
- Kruvdan - The "Kruvdan" or "Shovel-Fox" is small, somewhat dog-like animal with incredible curiosity. Small, agile and able to scale heights that would be nearly impossible but for its very sharp forepaws, the Kruvdar is thought to be a former Indirian pet left on the planet in large enough numbers but this is considered to be apocryphal. Kruvdar have been partially tamed in the past too.
- Sandy Badger - the oddly named Sandy Badger is a large mammal that resembles something like a cross between a badger, a bear and a capybara. A scavenger with a voracious appetite, they are generally harmless and sometimes are even attracted to campsites to eat refuse and left-overs.
- Hilber's Fawn - the tiny, fast galloping Fawn is actually more like a species of gazelle. With bright blue eyes, they are considered to be sacred by many of the people of Eden as well as the Indirians on the planet who think that they are "totem-spirits". Hilber's Fawns are found in large numbers in the southern plains
- Ostervore - one of the rare, dangerous animals on Whitworth, the Ostevore resembles the Earth condor but is a fast striking predator, preferring to dive directly from above and attack with its razor sharp talons that are over six inches long. The Ostevore is a fast and agile but tend to only attack smaller humans on their own. Ostevores were hunted to near extinction but have since recovered in natural preserves. An Ostevore feather is considered to be good luck on Whitworth
DemographicsWith a good climate, plentiful food and space, Whitworth has always been one of the fastest growing colonies. As of 2545 it is home to 1,342,000,000 Terrans.
- 1,140,000,000 humans
- 200,000,000 Indirians
- 12,000 other aliens
- 950 AIs
GovernmentWhitworth was governed by an elected legislature and an appointed governor. Whitworth was allowed to elect its own governor from the year 2105, one of the first colonies to be allowed to do so. During the time of the The Terran Empire , Whitworth was the fiefdom of House McQaid.
GovernorKnown Governors of the Whitworth colony:
- Lord Hayden McQaid - 2370-2400
- Lord Collier McQaid - 2400-2435
- Lord Ordell McQaid - 2435-2456
- Lord Prescott McQaid -2456-2495
- Lord Collier McQaid II - 2495-2505
- Office Vacant -2505-2545
- Solomon Thomas -Independent -2545-Present