The Comprilith Escape | In-World in Cathedris Discussion Boards | World Anvil

Cathedris Themesong

Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:19   Edited on Fri, Sep 23rd 2022 01:29

The Comprilith Escape

You close the box, suddenly concerned. When was the last time you checked your sand? Concern turns to fear as you realize you don't even know where the jar is anymore.
The Comprilith, Venture Within
  Welcome to Cathedris's first text adventure! We're here to collaborate and tell the story of the Comprilith Escape sequence. It'll be played/written post by post, like text based adventures of old! Everyone participating will be playing the same character of "you" -- think of it as 'Many people, one keyboard'. The entire thing is going to be improvised on my part, basing anything new off of my existing lore. This is a perfect opportunity for Cathedris experts to play around in the world, or for new people to explore one if its most exciting locations.  
If you need a refresher on where we're at, go check out the Comprilith article, and choose the "Venture Within" option!

How to Play

Essentially any action you can think of can be taken in this adventure! It is your job to describe the action to me, and my job to interpret it and give you a satisfying next step.   Actions can be written as "I look at the bookshelf", or even as ">Look at bookshelf" if you really want to keep that oldschool text adventure vibe.

Common Courtesy

This is a collaborative effort! As such, there's a couple things to keep in mind. One, don't try to undo eachothers actions -- roll with it! If someone says ">Open the creepy door", don't follow up with ">Close the creepy door immediately". Two, try not to control all the actions.   Above all, have fun :D

The Adventure

This is the first prompt, and also shows how I'll format the story going forward.   To keep up to date, make sure to follow this thread!
You stand between two imposing rows of bookshelves, stretching upwards at least 15' tall. The shelves are lined with countless books, most of which you've already determined to be of no worth. You've just finished pocketing your treasure from the small ornate wooden box on the shelf in front of you, and you've noticed that you're unable to find the glass jar of temporal sand that was keeping you anchored in time. You realize you need to find your way out of the Comprilith as soon as possible, or find your lost jar of temporal sand.
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:31

> Look around the floor for the jar in a panic
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:32

>Look at the walls to see if there are any symbols
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:34

I double-check my pockets. >Look Inventory? :D
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:39

Your eyes dart rapidly around your surroundings as panic begins to set in. You scan the floor, finding nothing directly under your feet. "It can't have gone far!" you think to yourself. You lean over a bit, and think you see something reflecting light from underneath the bookshelf in front of you. Reaching down, you grab hold of an empty jar -- confusingly, it's not even the same jar you brought in with you.   You look up and stare at the wall at the end of the row you're in. It has some strange, red markings on it, that you don't recognize.   You check your pockets -- your fingers find grit. Could this be a little bit of sand left behind some how? You feel as if you've got a bit of precious time to figure things out before you're truly lost to time.
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:45

>I try to open the jar to put the grit into it. It won't hurt to try by that point...
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:49

>retrace my actions so far in the room
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:52   Edited on Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:54

You attempt to open the jar. This... thing... is really st...uck...   "Ah!" You say relieved as you manage to open it.   You turn your pocket inside out over top of the now open jar, and empty the sand into it. You estimate that it's probably an hours worth of sand. Just enough time to figure out where your actual jar of sand has gone.   You think back to where you were... you walked into this room, took note of the symbols on the far ends of the bookshelves and kept them to your left... and then spent some time looking at all the books you've seen here. So many copies of the Godship books you've already read.
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 07:56

> Try to find my way back to the door where I came into the room
Sat, Apr 2nd 2022 08:06

Stuck with only books I've already read! This is truly hell! -_- Are there some good ones among that bunch at least?
Sun, Apr 3rd 2022 07:56

You begin to work your way back out of this massive library room. As you walk you give another glance over the books around you -- mostly all drivel that you read once ages ago, though there are a few books that stand out to you as true gems. You grab a copy of "Qur's Quivering Heart" that seems in much better condition than yours -- you always loved this one -- and stuff it into your pack for later.   You make it to the end of the row and glance at the ends of the bookshelves, confirming that you had indeed kept the Scrawl to your left as you entered between the bookshelves. Ahead of you is a large open area with some decrepit old tables filling the space, with the entrance door to this room on the other side of them.
Mon, Apr 11th 2022 06:16

>Not like I have any choice - I head towards the entrance door.
Tue, Aug 9th 2022 02:11

>open the door
Thu, Aug 11th 2022 08:48

You open the door.   Upon entering, you see a room that you've got no memory of, despite being absolutely sure this is the way you came in.     It's a large octagonal room, with 8 doors full of different decorations -- each one seemingly numbered, too.   They seem to be in varying states of disrepair, with some that appear to be entirely boarded up. You think to yourself that there might be some similarities between these doors and other doors you've seen on your journey so far, and it might be a good idea to take a closer look. Doors 1 through 3 are all varying shades of red, and entirely boarded up. Door 4 is pitch black, Door 5 is dark gray with ocher finery inlaid upon the frame, while door 6 is white and plain. You came out of Door 7, it's painted a dark emerald green, but the paint is all flaking off. Door 8 is red.       In the middle of the room is a small ornate table, and, thank the gods, on it appears to be your jar of sand. It looks as if it still has the same amount as it had before you lost it. Although...     "What's this?" you think to yourself, as you spy a tiny folded up note being held down under the jar.
Fri, Sep 23rd 2022 01:29

>Read the note