It is Jaimer Buckload's fault in every respect. If only he had not bragged about being able to find and retrieve any artefact from wherever it was hidden, you would all be sitting in the club armchairs of the Perelline Society of Explorers and Finders of Ways right now, nibbling on ginger biscuits and sipping hot tea while debating the possibility of making scientifically significant discoveries.
The parameters for success, such as required evidence and incentive goals, were laid forth. For his squad, Jaimer could only recruit other guild members and equip them with appliances held by the Guild. There could be no use of violence against people.
During the monthly meeting of the Explorers, Jaimer was strutting his stuff and bragging when his greatest competitor tossed an old map on the table and yelled: "I found this map! Now I dare you! You, however, are not going to do anything because you are a coward." "I am not and I will show you! This map has instructions, and I want to follow them to the letter so that I may recover whatever is hidden there."
Note: Some content blocks in this article (marked with a red background) as well as some layers on the map are hidden by default. Unlock them by joining the GM group: GM Do not join/read these blocks if you want to experience this one-shot as a player. GM info / spoilers.
Retrieve Ancient Knowledge.
One more point toward the team's win is awarded whenever a bonus goal is achieved.
Main GoalFind the object and bring it back without raising suspicion. This will ultimately lead to a success, although a narrow one. The Society of Explorers will accord a stronger reputation to the crew if they achieve a greater number of additional successes.
FailureThe mission is a failure when the squad gets detected, does not collect the target item (eg because the time ran out) or if one of its members drops to zero hit points.
The SquadThere are five people involved in this particular field expedition. Each one of them has qualities and defects that may either benefit them or work against them in some manner. Everyone starts with 3 hit points ... it is academics, after all: weak and frail!
Jaimer BuckloadPerelline. Student at the School of Arcane Arts, didn't learn a thing and got ejected after creating a humorous predicament for some of the teachers. His and the teachers' humour were on different levels. He always has a stack of ledgers with him and is scribbling down things when given the chance. Traits:
- Strong: he can lift or pull up another squad member.
- He cannot stand the thought of being around vile creatures like snakes or spiders and will avoid them under any circumstances.
- Additionally, he is required to sniff every blossom that he has not previously encountered.
- On top of that, he is a connoisseur of fine cuisine, and if he comes into contact with food, he becomes immovable for the duration of a full round. If he is standing close to Ti-Mi Dris, and Ti-Mi Dris is in a chocolate eating spree, they will both be unapproachable while eating chocolate.
Janne EtteQueen Eleanor Rani of Farenia in matters of the past. Read more about Janne Ette. Traits:
- She is the history expert of the team. Janne is the person you should inquire about when it comes to past events, people, and forgotten places.
- Afraid of heights: she is unable to utilise the grappling hook trolley.
- She is highly prone to getting a cold after swimming and will lose one hit point afterward.
Lora InehGnome. Lora is the scientific expert of the team and learned her parts at Gnome Workshop in Bridgeport. She had to leave with them due to an accident. It is unknown if she was shortsighted before the accident. She says the accident caused it. Traits:
- She is a magic user.
- She knows about plants and potions.
- Her spectacles make it possible for her to read in total darkness; nevertheless, she has to go very near to the text (1ft or less).
- Lora can barely see beyond 10ft, causing her to be unable to use ranged items like the Swap Blaster, The Grappling Hook, or ranged spells etc), can also not be a lookout for approaching cult members.
Ti-Mi DrisMo-Lung in Han who has been trained in the Way (don't ask him which way, he won't tell). He always has an eye on sweet things. Traits:
- He is a magic user. Yes, that's it. That's all.
- Chocolate aficionado: When it is his turn, roll 1d6. On a one or two, he is distracted for the entirety of the round by the chocolate that he discovered in one of his pockets and is munching it down. During that it is possible to move him forward (into hiding, for example) by pushing him, but he is unable to perform any other activities because his hands are occupied with unwrapping chocolate. On a five or six, he can proceed with the planned action without raising the Alert Level, even if it normally would.
- He is the sneaky one and can move behind another creature (even close) without being seen or heard.
- Can also use the trolley on the Grappling Hook rope right above a cult member without getting noticed.
- Can't swim or dive.
- Allergic to mushrooms (takes 1 hit point damage upon contact with them, ontop of any other damage the mushrooms may cause by default).
- Allergic to bees and will stay away from them.
1 use, timed, 15ft radius
1 use, radius: 15ft
Grappling Hook Gun
strong user only, 3 uses, range: 50ft
max. 100ft range between items
Necklace of Mind Control
magic user only, 1 use, range: 50ft, duration: 20 seconds
1 use, noise radius: 15ft, range: 30ft, duration: 6sec
2 uses, range: 50ft
Tome of Time Travelling
magic user only, 1 use
GM info / spoilers.
20 sheets of pergament in a water proof container
a whole bunch of charcoal pencils
Emergency Beacon - The team may utilise this item to escape in the event of an emergency or after their mission is complete. The other explorers who are waiting on the ship may evacuate them.
There is an infinite supply of wealth in the Sacred Chamber.
The entrance to the location is protected by a handful of locks that are dispersed all across the city.
Bearers of wisdom are the only ones who can unlock them.
The locks are powered by a force that may be found in the southeast quadrant of the city. This force needs to get activated.
Those who violate the boundaries will be swallowed by the serpent.