Mantle of Molgarath
The Mantle of Molgarath is formed from a collection of items that once belonged to Molgarath the Judicious . To gain the full benefits of the Mantle, the owner must possess and be attuned to the Glove of the Dragonmaster , the Glove of the Chronurgist , the Plate of Gravity , Armundol's Animated Cape , and the Guardian's Visage .
Mechanics & Inner Workings
The wearer of the Mantle gains the benefits of each of the individual items, as well as additional benefits at the bottom of this section.
Glove of the Chronurgist
- The wearer gains the Chronal Shift ability, able to be used once per day.
- The wearer gains advantage on Intelligence (History) Checks.
- The wearer's Wisdom score increases by 2, up to a maximum of 22.
- The wearer gains the ability to see attacks coming a moment before they hit. The wearer gains a +1 bonus to AC.
Glove of the Dragonmaster
- The ability to speak and comprehend Draconic.
- Advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) Checks when interacting with Dragons.
- Alertness of Orael: The wearer gains a +4 bonus to their Passive Perception.
- Fortitude of Orael: The wearer gains a +1 bonus to Constitution Saving Throws.
- Vengeance of Orael: Once per day, Orael strikes back at attackers as a result of taking damage. When the wearer takes damage, they can clench their fist as a reaction and unleash five bolts of lightning that manifest as a dragon's head and four limbs and strike at enemies within 60 feet. Roll to hit once, using a +14 modifier. If the attack hits, the wearer can direct each of the five bolts at any target whose AC was exceeded, and the bolt deals 5d6 lightning damage on each hit.
Plate of Gravity
- Gravitas: the wearer gains a +1 bonus to all Charisma Checks and Saving Throws.
- Gravitational Resistance: the wearer feels lighter on their feet as the Plate of Gravity lessens the effect of gravity on their body. Their jump distance is quadrupled and their base movement speed is doubled.
- Telekinesis: the Plate of Gravity can impact the objects surrounding it. Once per day, the wearer can cast Telekinesis using Intelligence as their spellcasting ability. The Plate of Gravity maintains concentration on this spell as though it had cast it, though you must roll a Concentration Check for both Telekinesis and another spell if you are concentrating on another one yourself.
- Feather Fall: when the wearer falls, they descend at a rate of 60 feet per round, becoming effectively immune to falling damage.
Armundol's Animated Cape
- Billow : the Cape can swing back and forth as though a soft breeze were constantly blowing on it.
- Flatten : the Cape can flatten and stiffen itself enough for one person to step on. The Cape is so strong in this form that it can be used to cross small gaps, much like a bridge.
- Grab : the Cape can animate one of its tails to reach out and take an Object Interaction action. The Cape does not have fine enough motor skills to manipulate tools or push buttons as it does not have fingers. However, it could pull a lever, pour wine, or conduct another simple manual task.
- Harden : the Cape can harden itself against the wearer's back, further protecting its user. In this form, the Cape confers a +1 bonus to the wearer's AC.
- When worn in conjunction with the Plate of Gravity , the Cape confers one additional benefit to the wearer. The Cape's interaction with the Plate of Gravity allows the wearer to further defy gravity as the Cape assists in movement. The wearer immediately gains a fly speed of 10 feet.
- Terrifying Visage : the wearer can direct their ireful gaze at a humanoid within 60 feet. The target makes a Wisdom saving throw (DC 16), and on a fail becomes Frightened for 60 seconds.
- Commanding Presence : the wearer instills confidence in those around them. Once per day as an action, the wearer can shout orders to up to 3 creatures around them. This gives each of the three creatures another Action that they can take as a Reaction to hearing the command.
- Guardian's Protection : the Guardian's Visage contains 3 charges, and regains 1d4 charges daily at dawn. As a Reaction to seeing a creature within 30 feet be attacked, the wearer can project a Draconic Shield around the target. This Draconic Shield acts as the Shield spell, adding a +5 bonus to the target's AC for one round. Using the Draconic Shield ability does not expend a spell slot for the first charge, but it expends a 1st-level spell slot for the second use in one day and a 2nd-level slot when it is used three times in one day.
Mantle of MolgarathThe Mantle conveys great power to its wearer as all of the items share a unique synergy. The Mantle forms itself into a pure white bodysuit, and projects a clear aura of power to all in the vicinity.
- The wearer gains a +2 bonus to Charisma Checks as those around them show more deference than usual.
- The Mantle offers some of its magical energy back to the wearer. Once per day after taking a short rest, the wearer can choose to regain a total of 8 levels of spell slots, up to and including one 8th level spell.
- The Mantle possesses a significant amount of the essence of Molgarath the Judicious . As a result, the wearer gains a +1 bonus to their spell save DC and their spell to hit modifier.
- Because of Molgarath's essence in the Mantle, the wearer can use an action to attempt to consult the Mantle about a magical question. Make an Arcana Check with an additional +5 modifier, and on a success the Mantle confers the knowledge to the wearer.
The process for donning the Mantle is a complicated one, requiring the casting of a ritual spell of creation. This spell does not have a level itself, but it requires a total sum of 65 levels worth of spells to be successfully cast. The casting time is 8 hours, and requires complete and uninterrupted concentration. Oftentimes, Molgarath would ritual cast Tiny Hut beforehand and then don the Mantle inside.
When Molgarath the Judicious created the Glove of the Dragonmaster , he already possessed the Glove of the Chronurgist . He decided that it would soon become difficult for him to choose which items to prioritize over others, and began to find a way to work around normal attunement slots. To do this, he tampered with the magical relationship between these items in order to get them to play nicely with one another. This process he called Kuunganisha , and has only been replicated a handful of times since the creation of the Mantle.
The Mantle of Molgarath is a one-of-a-kind magical item that was crafted from five once-separate items.
Raw materials & Components
The necessary components to form the Mantle are the Glove of the Chronurgist , the Glove of the Dragonmaster , the Plate of Gravity , the Armundol's Animated Cape , and the Guardian's Visage .
No tools are required, but it does require a caster of significant stature.
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild