Vampire CR: 13
Shapechanger. If the vampire isn't in sunlight or running water, it can use it's action to polymorph a Tiny bat or a Medium clout of mist, or back to it's true form. While in bat form, the vampire can't speak, it's walking speed is 5 feet, and it has a flying speed of 30 feet. It's statistics, other than it's size and speed, are unchanged. Anything it is wearing transforms with it, but nothing it is carrying does. It reverts to it's true form if killed. While in mist form, the vampire can't take any actions, speak or manipulate objects. It is weightless, has a flying speed of 20 ft, can hover, and can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. In addition, if air can pass through a space, the mist can do so without squeezing, and it can't pass through water. It has an advantage on Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution saving throws, and it is immune to all nonmagical damage, except for the damage it takes from sunlight. Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the vampire fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead. Misty Escape. When it drops to 0 hit points, outside it's resting place, the vampire transforms into a cloud of mist (as in the shapechanger trait) instead of falling unconscious, provided it isn't in sunlight or running water. If it can't transform, it is destroyed. While it has 0 hit points in mist form, it can't revert to it's vampire form, and it must reach it's resting place within 2 hours or be destroyed. Once in it's resting place, it reverts to the vampire form. It is paralysed until it regains 1 hit point. After spending one hour in it's resting place with 0 hit points, it regains 1 hit point. Regeneration. The vampire regains 20 hit points at the start of it's turn if it has at least 1 hit point and isn't in sunlight or running water. If the vampire takes radiant damage or damage from holy water, this trait doesn't function at the start of the vampire's next turn. Spider Climb. The vampire cam climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check. Vampire Weaknesses. The vampire has the following flaws:
- Forbiddance. The vampire can't enter a residence without an invitation from one of the occupiers.
- Harmed by running water. The vampire takes 20 acid damage if it ends it's turn in running water.
- Stake to the heart. If a piercing weapon made of wood is driven into the vampire's heart whilst the vampire is incapacitated in it's resting place, the vampire is paralysed until the stake is removed.
- Sunlight Hypersensitivity. The vampire takes 20 radiant damage when it starts it's turn in sunlight. Whilst in sunlight, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.
- Multiattack. The vampire makes two greatsword attacks.
- Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack +9 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit 11 2d6+4 slashing damage.
- Spellcasting. The vampire is a 9th level spellcaster. It's spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). The vampire has the following wizard spells prepared: Cantrips (at will) - Magic Hand, Pretiditation, Ray of Frost. 1st level (4 slots) - Comprehend Languages, Fog Cloud, Sleep. 2nd level (3 slots) - Detect Thoughts, Gust of Wind, Mirror Image. 3rd level (3 slots) - Animate Dead, Bestow Curse, Nondetection. 4th level (3 slots) - Blight, Greater Invisibility. 5th level (1 slot) - Dominate Person.
Multiattack (vampire form only). The vampire makes two attacks, only one of which can be a Bite attack. Unarmed Strike (vampire form only). Melee Weapon Attack +9 to hit, reach 5 ft, one creature. Hit 8 1d8+4 bludgeoning damage. instead of dealing damage, the vampire can grapple the target (escape DC 18). Bite (bat or vampire form only). Melee Weapon Attack +9 to hit, reach 5 ft, one willing creature or a creature that is grappled by the vampire, incapacitated, or restrained. Hit 7 1d6+4 piercing damage, plus 10 3d6 necrotic damage. The target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and the vampire regains hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces it's hit point maximum to 0. A humanoid slain this way and then buried in the ground rises the following night as a vampire spawn under the vampire spawn. Charm. The vampire targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see the vampire, the target must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by the vampire. The charmed target regards the vampire as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn't under the vampire's control, it takes the vampire's requests or actions in the most favourable way it can, and it is a willing target for the vampire's bite. Each time the vampire or the vampire's companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the vampire is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect. Children of the Night (1/Day). The vampire magically calls 2d4 swarms of bats or rats, provided the the sun isn't up. While outdoors, the vampire can call 3d6 wolves instead. The called creatures arrive in 1d4 rounds, acting as allies to the vampire and obeying it's spoken command. The beasts remain for 1 hour, until the vampire dies, or until the vampire dismisses them as a bonus action.
The vampire can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The vampire regains spent legendary at the start of it's turn.
- Move. The vampire moves up to it's speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
- Unarmed Strike. The vampire makes one unarmed strike.
- Bite (Costs 2 Actions). The vampire makes one bite attack.
A vampire chooses a grand but defensible for it's lair, such as a castle, fortified manor, or walled abbey. It hides it's coffin in an underground crypt or vault guarded by vampire spawn or other loyal creatures of the night.
The region surrounding a vampire's lair is warped by the creature's unnatural presence, creating any of the following effects:
- There's a noticeable increase in the populations of bats, rats and wolves in the region.
- Plants within 500 feet of the lair wither, and their stems become withered and thorny.
- Shadows cast within 500 feet of the lair seem abnormally gaunt and sometimes move as though alive.
- A creeping fog clings to the ground within 500 feet of the vampire's lair. The fog occasionally takes eerie forms, such as grasping claws and writhing serpents.
In it's lair, near civilisation.