-That's the third time in a row you used a hand rune ! I think you're cheating! -what are you gonna do, shoot me ?
For most humanoid life, the origin of the game is rumored to come from the early stages of seafaring and piracy. According to the legend, Captain Rahji and his crew once made it to an ancient Naga temple. In the treasure chamber, he was challenged by a vanguard spirit on that game. With luck and wits, Rahji managed to win and was granted access to the temple's wonders. Anybody from land lubbers to noble corsairs heard rumors say that the legendary captain hid most of his hoard on a remote island which only someone has good has him on the game could access.
Starting phaseEach player takes 6 runes randomly from the bag. The player with the most triples (or doubles as a tiebreaker) numbers (ranging from 0 to 6) on their triangle size gets to start. Then, it will rotate from the left. The starting players deposits one rune of his choice to start the game without doing the second phase. Then, the real game starts. For an idea of the design and base concept, think Triomino
How a round is done:There is 2 actions possible in your turn. 1-Rune Action: You can place one rune next to another which side's numbers are similar. If you are incapable of playing one rune, you can choose of the two following actions:
- Flip one revealed rune (however, you cannot play it in the same turn). Runes that are known only to you in your cup can be flipped as desired.
- Get one rune from the bag randomly (which can be placed immediately after). If that extra rune cannot be placed, keep it in your cup.
- Snake: the target cannot place a rune on his turn (but can pick one in the bag or flip a revealed rune)
- Eye: the player can choose at random a rune in his target's cup and reveal it to the table. when a rune is revealed, you can only play it on the face shown (but can flip it instead of putting a rune on the game).
- Pike: the target cannot put a rune around the one you put for this turn only.
- Waterdrop: The target takes an extra rune from the bag immediately
Components and tools
The game was originally played with small triangular runestones kept in a leather bag, and one cup for each player to hide their stones. Now, some can be made wood, bone or coral pieces, as log as they can be worked. Many pirates consider whale bone pieces to be their favorites. The runes each have numbers on each of their side on their face. Also, they also have another side with different combinations too, making it a total of 6 possibles double-numbers.
This game can be played up to 4 people.
This game can be played anytime players are down to play it. Being a popular seafarer game, a majority of port taverns have a couple of runebags ready to play. Some competitions can be found and the most popular taverns. Regional champions can get an official stamp to compete in the four grand tournaments made every year. The locations of the tournaments are Sunderock, Port-Fume, Verivalas and Sagaleua