I was about to kill myself. There was a little euphoria, but no fear, as I unwrapped the foot-long bread sandwich. This would be a way to show who I was. This would be a way to prove my loyalty to these rebels. I bit down on the sweet, starchy potato and the cream-colored cheese. A few minutes of nausea and retching, and I was done. I had survived, and I was now a member of the Mitrand Liberation Front.– Soraya of Mitrand
Summary and ToxicologyPhenethylamine, a mild stimulant, along with a GAO-B inhibitor. The bread is renowned for its palatability, helping ease the rest of the unpleasant experience. The baked potatoes contain a fast-acting toxin, which cause the potatoes and the sandwich as a whole to be illegal in most jurisdictions. However, the toxin and its antidote are what make the sandwich unique.
Traditions and LegalityGrand Duchy of Meringia use this type of sandwich during the final phases of initiation to symbolize the initiate's loss of the fear of death, although they place a copious amount of cheese to make it near-impossible for the initiate to actually die. A similar tradition is practiced in the eastern regions of the Republic of Mitrand. However, outside those regions this sandwich and its variants are mostly illegal. Due to its illegality and lethality, however, many secret societies use these sandwiches for initiation, to help filter out spies and defectors. For example, the pro-democracy newspaper Voice of Mitrand handed out low-lethality variants at safe houses to new initiates before the Mitrand Revolution, and guerrillas fighting over Dahang Island use it similarly, with a higher-lethality variant. In these contexts, the eating of the sandwich signify defiance of authority, by doing something both illegal and dangerous.
To bravery, brotherhood, and bronze!In general, it is made like a normal sandwich. However, different purposes call for different changes to procedure, and especially when used in initiation or coming-of-age ceremonies, the sandwich is differently prepared.Traditional toast of the Silver Sails
- When used ritualistically in sects of the Order of the Silver Sail, a Priest of Water sprinkles seawater upon all the portions of the sandwich before combining them. Then, a Priest of Fire cooks it and gives it to the Priest of the Forest, who presents half of the sandwich to the initiate and eats the other half.
- When used ritualistically for initiation into secret societies, the ceremony varies, but generally includes a "brotherhood" section, where the sandwich is split between a senior member and the initiate.
Consumable, Food / Drink
Uncommon, usually easily obtained in regions where it is legal
Variable by nation
Raw materials & Components
- 1-2 Solanum novaterrae tubers
- Footlong sliced Pennisetum theobroma bread
- 2-20 slices of antidote cheese
- Assorted other ingredients
Grand Army of Yelowan
Society of Magisters
Voice of Mitrand
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild