Barnibus and Nomad | Extra Character RP in Forgotten Realms Discussion Boards | World Anvil
Wed, Sep 28th 2022 07:27   Edited on Wed, Sep 28th 2022 07:38

Barnibus and Nomad

"He asked for you," Saeth told his partner. "He's waiting downstairs."   Barnibus grumbled something about driftwood and salt, but with a resigned roll of his eyes, waved Saeth onward. "Send him up. Let's figure out what he wants and get him out of here."   Saeth nodded but lingered at the threshold of his friend's office. "You think you have the right of him at this point? The man's as shady as they come, if he's even a man, but seems to me he's been honest thus far. And Lady Silverhand gave him her support."   "Yes, I'm aware, Saeth," Barnibus was quick to reply, not enjoying the line of reasoning any more than having his authority overridden by his superior, especially in regard to the law. "Nomad? Devils? Zhentarim? The list is growing ever larger for reasons to suspect ill intention. I'll keep my guard up until I'm given adequate reason not to."   Saeth smiled. "'Don't douse your lamp in the dark,' right?"   "That's it. Send him up."   It only took a few moments, during which Barnibus busied himself with reports of all the newcomers' doings since they'd arrived in Waterdeep. The new evidence and testimony that seemed to magically appear on his desk the very morning after the undead assault on their establishment seemed all too convenient, if not compelling. The inspector felt forced to dig into the matter, especially since several of them were so enigmatic. Even wearing masks to emphasize that point. Giant Tabaxi, peaceful Minotaurs too...Very little past reports on any of them despite their distinctive natures. It was frustrating and intriguing, to say the least.   "Inspector," Nomad greeted him.   Barnibus leaned back, waving him forward and gesturing to the chair across from him. "You don't strike me as the gloating type, Nomad."   To his surprise, the man removed his helmet before taking a seat, revealing the true nature of his being to the man more completely. Barnibus didn't fail to note the hue of his skin, the glimmer of silver and ivory in his hair, or the distinct lack of pupils and iris in his eyes. Just pools of opaque white, as if blind, though the dwarf knew well Nomad could see quite well. Not human. And unique, even for an Aasimar.   "Good thing I'm not here for that," Nomad answered. "I want to clear the air. Especially since it looks like my days of operating in anonymity are coming to an end."   He snorted. "No need for that, now that Lady Silverhand has cleared you."   "She may have, but I'm not without honor, inspector, and I'm here to remain true to my word. Especially now that you know who I am. What I am."   "Hmm..." Barnibus offered in reply, intrigued where this was going. "Go on."   Nomad cleared his throat. "I'm no more comfortable with you knowing as much as you do than you are looking the other way at lawlessness. I told you I wouldn't break Waterdeep's laws. Those laws are becoming far more flexible by the day, or so it seems. But my word is my bond."   "That remains to be seen, Nomad," the inspector cut in.   "Fair enough," the paladin replied, "but not the laws that bind us to our mutual cause, Barnibus. Even if we can't agree on everything, I know we agree on stopping evil. And in that, I came to reassure you, I'm not your enemy, nor will I make your life any harder than it already is."   "And yet the company you keep challenges that," Barnibus argued.   Nomad shrugged. "I can't speak for everyone in my company, Zhentarim or those at the Wandering Spirits. And both parties give me reason to question their methods and how many lines they'd cross to achieve their ends. I fear the day when our interests conflict to a point where they can't be resolved, but until that day comes, I won't ignore the intention behind their actions. I'd be a hypocrite to do otherwise. And is it safe to say, you might be as well if you went against what Lady Silverhand has asked of you?"   Barnibus scoffed, but grinned while he did so. "I suppose that argument could be made. Is that all you came here to say? I've had many offer me their word only to break it later. Criminals are often the most convincing liars, even if we share something in common."   "I suspect you've seen the worst of them too," Nomad nodded in agreement. "But I'm hoping to prove to you yet that I'm not one of them. And I know that will take time. That, I know you can believe."   "And the proof will be in the results, Nomad."   "As they should be," the paladin concluded with him, then rose, retrieving his helmet.   "You know you don't need to do this," Barnibus reminded him. "My opinion of you doesn't really matter."   "Sure it does," Nomad replied. "If we can't recognize goodness in the other, what goodness might we inspire ourselves?"   "You truly believe that?"   The dark warrior nodded, donning his helmet. "In accordance with what I said before. Intention. I see yours as just, inspector. I'd rather have you as a friend out of respect than fear."   Barnibus narrowed his eyes at the strange being, but eventually offered him a grin and a nod. "Fair enough, Nomad. Will that be all?"   "No, actually." The paladin moved back to the desk after rummaging something out of his satchel. He placed a parcel wrapped in cloth in front of the inspector.   "What's this?" he posed.   "Biscuits. Be sure to share some with Lady Silverhand if you see her. That is, if she's regained her appetite."   Barnibus shook his head, his laughter following Nomad out the door as he left the office.