A Question of Currency | Q+A in Cathedris Discussion Boards | World Anvil

Cathedris Themesong

Sun, Oct 10th 2021 07:58   Edited on Sun, Oct 31st 2021 08:21

A Question of Currency

In a world with many countries spread out over multiple continents, in an industrial era, what would you prefer for currency? Localized currency for countries, or one worldwide one?   I think localized makes more sense in a realistic sense, but also it's so much more work haha. On the other hand, because Cathedris has some things that tie the entire world together (specifically the Legion), perhaps the currency can be tied to that which will make determining prices of things much easier.   Then I just need to come up with a name for them xD
Sun, Oct 17th 2021 08:46   Edited on Tue, Oct 19th 2021 05:01

I think one doesn't necessarily exclude the other. You can have a currency that is recognised and accepted worldwide for international travel, but some countries might stick to their own local money for the internal market.
Tue, Oct 19th 2021 05:01

# In reply to KrostaTina's:
I think one doesn't necessarily exclude the other. You can have a currency that is recognised and accepted worldwide for international travel, but some countries might stick to their own local money for the internal market.
That's a really great point, thank you Kros! <3   Maybe I'll work on making one global currency that most other countries measure theirs against, first. And then work on others if I feel it, when developing each country on its own :)     ...now to try and generate ideas for the global currency, weee!
Thu, Oct 21st 2021 09:31

Okay, some initial ideas coming in here! The global currency that all countries would measure theirs against would be called  

Legion Steel

Below are some notes I have on the currency so far:  
It's main use is for the Legion to pay their soldiers. Because the Legion spans the entire globe, it is the most traded currency globally. Only ever found in coin form, the Legion says it's because "The weight reminds us of the weight of our responsibilities to protect", while naysayers say it's because the weight just reminds the Legion of the power they wield. One side of a coin has Rendlings on it, the other has people, and the metal between symbolizes the duty of the legion to "separate people from monster". Maybe different shapes or Rendlings, along with sizes, to denote more valuable coins?   Value based on old world tradition of using silver as value -- which in turn is born out of stories that connect to He'an, and their silver hair. Silver = godly, and thus silver itself had value. The Legion originally paid a signing bonus of a bag of silver + a steel sword, and over time that became known as being paid with the "Legion's Steel", giving origin to the name of the global currency.
  My next thing I need to figure out is names for these coins!   There'd be the base steel coin, a 4x value coin, a 16x value coin, and a 100x value coin. On the other end, there'd be 1/2 value, 1/4 value, and 1/10 value coins as well. Naming of coins likely separate from God-husk names, as I've already got the months named after them and don't want eeeeeeeverything tied to them :P   What are your favourite examples of coin names? I'm currently trying to think of ideas to base these names off -- metals, famous people, actions, sounds, there's lots to go off of I think.
Thu, Oct 21st 2021 10:01

For Serukis, I have gold roses, silver thorns, and copper hips/pips/seeds. I can't remember if I settled on the last one. Currency is hard.   Maybe nature names could work? Mythological creatures? Biomes? Leaders? Shapes?
Thu, Oct 21st 2021 10:21

Maybe a slanged/abbreviated/bastardized version of "rendling"? Or the name of the Legion swords... or something linked with He'an hair...
Sun, Oct 31st 2021 08:21

Thank you, both of you!   There's so many options xD I love when currency names have shortened names (like Emy's hips/pips/seeds), and when they've got references to in-universe things.   I need to think on it more, but linking it with hair and swords, along with shortening it... I'm liking this so far! And then maybe relate the higher value ones to important leaders or things!