Read This First | Chapter 1: A Daring Escape (An example) in Orlon's Meta World Discussion Boards | World Anvil
BUILD YOUR OWN WORLD Like what you see? Become the Master of your own Universe!

Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild
Sun, Feb 5th 2023 07:14   Edited on Sun, Feb 5th 2023 08:40

Read This First

This post will have a few character creation notes from when I was getting set up, while framing out how I'm going to use colors and icons to help keep track of what I'm doing. Basically, anything I want to be able to skim for quickly later, I'm going to put a box around it.   I had my concept in mind - a "palace functionary" in the heart of some rich noble house. They aren't actually nobility, but might as well be, for all the infighting and hierarchy involved in maintaining control of the family business. This character would be a vassal, rising through the ranks, and test scores showed they'd be worth a little training for a more specialized role. (Then their mentor would be assassinated and events would proceed from there.)     I'll be putting game mechanics in boxes like this.   I went old-school and rolled some dice for the six basic stats, STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA. 12, 6, 11, 6, 10, 6. A character with 6 in DEX, INT, and CHA was not going to last long in this world, even with the rule that says "if you roll your stats, you may replace one of them with a 14." I did up two more before I got a spread that seemed viable. :D This one has an INT of 16, some room to play a little there? What if studious?   Scholar background. WWN again encouraging randomness. You can have two skills off the background list if you choose them, or roll on the table three times. Scholar comes with Know, and I rolled Connect, Perform, and Convince. Perhaps a decent teacher? Perhaps got noticed by the Hierarchy because of skill in tutoring palace youth? (I love how the random rolls for background help generate story hooks already.)   There's more like that, but you get the idea. At some point, I'll start the game and have to ask the Mythic oracle some questions.   When I use the Oracle system to figure out what happens next, I'll put it in a box like this. Not sure I like this color yet, might change it later.   Another thing I like about the Mythic system is the idea of "Context". The decisions you make about what is happening depend on the context. The context might change mid-stream, but it is deliberate, not just random. So I'll start each thread with a little bit of context, along with a sidebar note about how Chaotic it is right now.

Chaos: 5
Context: Our hero is on the run. The pursuing guards have just popped up out of the secret tunnel Natalya escaped through, and are only 80ft behind her. And they have dogs.   Without slowing down, Natalya looked over her shoulder. A tall woman emerges from the tunnel and gestures curtly. Two guards step across the broken soil and into the forest to give chase, hunting hounds bounding ahead of them. Directly toward Natalya....   Narrative and notes will go in plain text like this. At the end of each scene, Mythic encourages you to log what new plot threads were opened in the scene, which ones might have been closed off, and any new NPCs that might come back later. All those things populate random tables in your Mythic play materials, so three sessions from now, the innkeeper might pop back up while you are investigating a cult or something. What's that about?   I'll be using a box like this to keep track of new story threads, goals, and ongoing effects, things I need to remember for next time.
  • Why was my mentor killed?
  • Wait a minute. The guards never caught up, but why didn't they shoot at me?

Natalya

Hit Points: 6/6
Effort: 2/2
System Strain: 3/8
Silver: 37