The Temple of Ersola
The capital of the Supradian world, the Temple of Ersola is an sprawling temple in Sesilen, the capital of Eseris. It is dedicated to the God Ersola.
Purpose / Function
The temple has two main purposes:
- To provide residence to the High Priest and other high-up worshippers
- To house the original holy scriptures of the Supradian religion
The Temple has a square, stepped pyramidal shape, with each corner acting as the base for a large tower. Each tower extends just above the tip of the pyramid.
Several priests take up residence in the temple, whether to be able to devote more time to worship or for administrative purposes.
In 1253, one of the smaller storerooms on the left wing were modified to become an office for the buildings put under its control by the Sesilen Temple Housing Reclamation Act. Alterations were complete early the following year.
The temple is made of marble, which has been quarried from the mountain on which Sesilen resides. The front face of the temple is engraved with various depictions of the War of the Gods.
The temple was built in 1102, at the command of King Esmiren, the King of Eseris and High Priest of Supradia. It was funded by the king until an economic crash hit in 1249, caused by Selerin's independence, and the funding had to be stopped. In 1253, in a desperate attempt to keep the temple alive, Esmiren announced that the houses and land of any executed, permanently incarcerated or banished criminals (if no one else was living there at the time) would be turned over to the temple, and families could use that land in exchange for one of two agreements.
- The Landowner would pay the Temple a fixed amount over time (usually per year)
- The Landowner would give the Temple a fixed portion of anything produced there (or equivalent monetary value), usually a quarter.