The Order of the Eye
Neutral Good Secret Organization
- Like artisans' guilds, the Order of the Eye is structured into three tiers.
- Eyes are the lowest-ranking members, who work directly under Watchers. Watchers lead expeditions and missions, and report to Masters, who meet in a council.
- One can only become a member by blood or invitation. Watchers usually do the recruiting.
- The primary goal of the Order of the Eye is to contain the proliferation of dark magic. Collecting dark artifacts, foiling the machinations of evil wizards, and closing portals to other worlds are of particular import to the Order.
- The Order of the Eye also seeks to accumulate knowledge, often of the magical variety, in order to protect the kingdoms of man, while remaining totally unseen. They find discreet ways to publish this information to the public.
- The Eye trains many spell-casters, who have access to a huge body of mentors and library of texts on magic. Spells of disguising, compelling, memory-wiping, and divining make themselves particularly useful to agents of the Order.
- Members of the Order have engineered specific magic items to aid in their quest. They are well-integrated in the trade of magical items.
- Non-magical members are the eyes and ears of the Order, the sorts of spies who listen around corners, only to recede wordlessly into the dark. Violence is generally discouraged.
The Order of the Eye was founded in response to the proliferation of magic in the Free Kingdoms after the Elveswar. At the time, the city of Falkryst, in the Kingdom of Oster , was the most influential city in the area, and the Order, originally a small cabal of wizards, established themselves there. Since then, their influence has expanded all over, but they are most prominent still in Falkryst.