Discussing Player Rewards | GenIsys Fantasy in Aviron Discussion Boards | World Anvil
Fri, Apr 15th 2022 05:50   Edited on Fri, Apr 15th 2022 03:28

Discussing Player Rewards

I was looking for information on different rewards for characters. Things that do not involve XP or magic items. But, I want the character feel, hey that is cool. I came up with a few like medals, like a military unit might get. Or a bard writes a song about the character. What ideas do you have?
Fri, Apr 15th 2022 10:29   Edited on Fri, Apr 15th 2022 10:31

Narrative end of the spectrum ...   Minor Narrative Edits ...
  • Meta Resource
  • "the keys are in the grav car and the door is unlocked. What they don't know is it the latest model and can be tracked by the bad guys later.
  • "I may be wounded but his gun jams. Fine he's still a trained hand to hand fighter so this only buys a round or two, maybe your friends can show up in time.
  • as I leap out the 10th floor window I grab the leftover maintenance rig, the rig sparks and groans ... oh no that's why they left it, it's malfunctioning
  • damn we are stumpted, action net news runs a special with the tip to lead us in the right direction
  • what do you mean you forgot the special x5e3 AI diagnostic unit, I just happen to load it in my trunk before leaving, but this happens to be the prototype, roll a fumble and it does something odd as well. Or maybe it's a one-shot item as it powers down

•   GM always has the power of veto to say no and refund but it's a tightrope if the currency feels like it has not value. But these are the opportunities to increase player investment and let them help write drama.
    Fri, Apr 15th 2022 10:32   Edited on Fri, Apr 15th 2022 10:32

Give them a base, house, home, haven, vehicle and let them help design it or at least the highlight features.

Fri, Apr 15th 2022 10:35

Give them a sidekick, mentor, helper, contact resource etc. Catch is they are a ward and have to be protected. Sometimes they roll a meaningless fumble. Now you save that fumble and their peep is in danger hunted from the past, kidnapped, has a rare illness was experimented on with cutting edge biotechnology that went wrong, but the company want back their sample.
    Fri, Apr 15th 2022 03:28

There are many good ideas there. I like the homebase idea. My campaigns move over long distances at times, making it difficult. I need to figure out a way without giving them a moving house to sleep in.   I also like the idea of a gun jamming. That might be given by the GM or maybe you could hand out some type of hero point and the character can choose when to use it. Hmmm?