Rye And Steel

EXT. RYE BASE - DAY

VOice#1 (v.O.)

They said to us, 'Kill your arty'. They didn't need to say anything else.

FADE IN
SUPERIMPOSE: Somewhere in the East, ca. 58W
It is a clear day in the East. A soft breeze makes wild rye fields and trees sway.

Voice#2 (v.O.)

But you have to ask yourself, were they really victims?

Between some bushes, we see a scout tank creeping forward.

Voice#3 (v.O.)

There's no such thing as a good arty.

More tanks wait further in the back, set up in different positions.

Voice#4 (v.O.)

We were scared.

The scout tank sneaks past a tree and runs over a branch on the ground. A SNAPPING NOISE can be heard. The scout tank freezes.

Voice#4 (v.O.)

If you'd been there, you'd understand.

The other tanks back up, looking around anxiously.

Voice#5 (v.O.)

I didn't know they'd kill so many of them ... I thought it was only the bad ones.

There is a HISS of an approaching shell. We see an incoming artillery shell that hits the scout tank, causing it to blow up.
CUT TO BLACK

EJECT (v.O.)

There was no purge. Nothing of the sort happened.


EXT. RYE BASE - LATER

Two SPGs, CAM and EJECT, are talking to each other, driving past a TRV who is helping a wounded tank. Other tanks bustle about, doing some post-battle tasks.

EJECT

I feel like that's the best deal we could get with her, they have expressed an interest in new members during our last meeting, after all.

cam

There's no way she'll pass their target test.

EJECT

Maybe we can fudge it a bit ...

CAM

Like we did with Aleko?

EJECT

Really? Aleko was an idiot ...

They reach the end of the camp, where there's a little cluster of tents.

CAM

And that Ram is not?

EJECT

Mh.

cam

Well, if I recall correctly, the scrap dealer did make a pretty decent offer ...

EJECT

He did.

Cam opens a tent door.

CAM

I'll contact him. We should wait until he arrives to pick her up before we tell her.

He drives into the tent.

Cam

(mumbling to himself)

Don't need another runaway ...

Eject stays outside. He turns around and looks back at the other tanks. A RAM is standing nearby and watching her teammates from a distance. Eject looks at her for a bit, then turns away again and drives on.


Comments

Please Login in order to comment!
Powered by World Anvil