The echo | Tavern in Iphars Discussion Boards | World Anvil
You enter the tavern, ready to have some fun, drinks, or both, when you see a figure. You do not recognize it at first, but you then see the necklace and the earring and makes you remember of all the stories, like echos in th wind, that you have heard of them. Echo is the name, and they are there, playing cards with some locals. You could get near and ask a question or two... (Any question that Echo answers will be added to their articles sooner or later)

Mon, Feb 7th 2022 09:13   Edited on Sun, Feb 20th 2022 01:56
Tue, Feb 8th 2022 12:46

Good night. Excuse my boldness.. but I've heard stories about you. Care to tell me one that is true? The ale is on me.
Tue, Feb 8th 2022 07:17

Echo lets go a laugh, "A real story? There are a lot of stories that are true, from stories singed by bards to stories recorded by historians, and even stories that a mother tells her children... Now, which story you would like to learn about? A story about Ashtara? A story about your people? Or... a story about me?", they stare at you, sipping from their drink while waiting for an answer.
Wed, Feb 9th 2022 12:51

I sit at the table in front of Echo " I want to know a real story about you."
Wed, Feb 9th 2022 05:59

They leave their ale on the table, "A tale about me, would you like for me to tell the truth of a myth? or simply a story of mine that is not in a myth? Would you like some epic story about how I slayed a monster? about how I saved a town? about what I did this morning? Stories say a lot of a person and also take away much of someone's mystery, it might even make sound someone much more boring of what you might expect, especially someone like me, from who you have heard so many stories, tales, and legends."
Wed, Feb 9th 2022 06:58

I smile at Echo innocently "I enjoy love stories. Do you ever been in love?"
Wed, Feb 9th 2022 09:17

"In love you ask..." they touch their necklace before drinking a bit more. "Yes, I have been in love. A long life like mine allows one to meet a lot of people, good and bad. Loving is hard, you have such an amazing time with your beloved but you know all that time that you will outlive them... or they will eventually leave. Being from Ashtara, surely you know the myth of the heart of Thynos, that is actually a real story. Apart from it, yes, I had some other lovers, always giving my own heart to them, sometimes trying to make their lives even if it was just slightly longer but always without results.", they look away for a moment, sight lost in the nothingness, before looking back to you, "Tell me, what would you do if you were immortal and loved someone?"
Thu, Feb 10th 2022 12:25

"Sounds like being immortal involves a lot of loneliness and heartbreak. I'm sorry if I brought up sad memories. I'll buy you another ale if you want. And you can tell me another story, but happier this time."
Sun, Feb 13th 2022 08:59

"Being immortal involves a lot of different things, but I would not add loneliness there. Yes, you lose your friends and loved ones, but you also can meet a lot of people. I would not call myself lonely. But, a happy story you want, let me think..." they drink some of the ale while thinking. They finish the card game with the locals and say something to them in a language you don't understand before the locals leave the table. "Not sure if you want some specific type of story, but there was that time, we were already in Iphars, me and a friend extinguished a forest fire. My friend does not get many opportunities of leaving home because their condition, but they were so happy that time, under the rain, simply feeling it running down their face. Nowadays, years after that moment, they still love to talk about that day, that moment, and their face look like a child who got a gift.", Echo's eyes were looking nowhere and they were smiling, as if they rekindled that moment.
Mon, Feb 14th 2022 12:20

I smile at Echo. "Thank you for sharing that with me. Where is your friend now? What's their condition?"
Mon, Feb 14th 2022 05:12

"They are at home right now, and about their condition, they do not like to talk about it so I am not going to tell what it is but they cannot leave home for too long." they start mixing up cards, "Want to play a game? And, do you want to learn something else?"
Tue, Feb 15th 2022 03:16

"Thank you, but I rather hear another story." I look up "Can you make someone fly?"
Tue, Feb 15th 2022 08:47

"If I were able to give wings to people easily, many of the Melgent who lack wings and now live in the continents would now have wings to go live in the air with the rest of the Melgent" they leave the cards on the table but kept one with which they played with, moving it between their fingers, "Maybe I could in my home, but I've been warned of changing people's bodies many times, and I do not want to make anyone else suffer such destiny."
Tue, Feb 15th 2022 08:58

I look down disappointed "I see. But you have wings, right? Can you take someone flying with you?"
Tue, Feb 15th 2022 09:01

"Sometimes I have wings, sometimes no, sometimes I have horns and sometimes I have a halo. I can indeed take someone flying with me although I do not feel comfortable doing so outside home. What is that you are searching with this?" they say with a smirk.
Tue, Feb 15th 2022 09:06

I cross my arms and I keep looking down "Oh, nothing... I was just curious..." I avoid Echo's eyes "I miss home."
Tue, Feb 15th 2022 09:25

Their face saddens, "I'm sorry, I can't give you wings... Your home is not a home anymore unfortunately and if I took you with the winged Melgent I would leave you in risk of falling to your death." they leave the card with the rest of the cards and think for a moment. "I could... mmm... last time was a disaster but... why not?" they murmur to themself. "I hope I can trust in you, do you trust me to follow me?"
Wed, Feb 16th 2022 12:48

I jump a little on my seat, eager to follow Echo "Yes, I trust you."
They leave the table, passing by the bar and leaving some coins over there, enough to pay their drinks and yours too. Then, they got to the door but wait for you before leaving, and with a smile on their face, they signal you to follow them.

Thu, Feb 17th 2022 06:26
Fri, Feb 18th 2022 12:55

I rush to the door to follow Echo
Echo walks to a nearby forest, making sure you follow them and not get lost or changing ideas. Until you two end up in a clearing. It is surrounded by thick and tall trees, the floor filled with flowers and mushrooms of all kinds and colours, and in the middle of all, an ancient arch with runes inscribed on it. Upon closer inspection, one could see that the runes have been carved recently, and that there are three sockets in the arch, one on top, and two on the sides.

Fri, Feb 18th 2022 09:44
Fri, Feb 18th 2022 09:47

Echo puts three gems on the sockets, and a bright light covers the structure which is dragged to the arch, making a thin film that covered the empty space of the arch as if it were a door. "I hope your trust is strong. I know portals are usually dangerous, but I can assure you that this one is completely safe.", they stretch a hand towards you with a smile, "Are you coming?"
Sun, Feb 20th 2022 01:56

I take Echo's hand "Of course."