A peanut grown anywhere other than on Earth just tastes different. I'll pick you up some the next time I visit Earth's Spaceport.
Peanuts get very little respect on Earth, possibly due to the challenges the natives have with understanding allergic reactions. Approximately one in 200 humans is deathly allergic to peanuts, with the percentages being even higher among their children. Without Diagnostic Cube technology, peanut allergies can be fatal. Be sure to test your humans before feeding them peanuts!
Despite their dangers, peanuts are a truly amazing food source. They provide vitamins, minerals, fiber, fats, and proteins! They even enrich the soil where they are grown. For humans, they have many health benefits that result in increased life expectancy among those who eat them regularly.
While peanuts can be grown in hydroponic gardens, most space farers find that space and resources can be better utilized with more nutrient dense and rapid growing crops.
Earth may be out of the way, but if you can get them from the source, you'll be happier.
Genetics and Reproduction
Peanut plants produce flowers that then turn downward and become "pegs" implanting themselves into the soil. A peg will then grow into peanuts underground.
Growth Rate & Stages
Peanut plants will produce flowers in 30-40 Earth days, and will be ready to harvest in 130-160 Earth days.
Cure the peanuts for two to three Earth weeks before eating.
Ecology and Habitats
Peanuts require lots of sunlight and warmth. They also need significant amounts of water and space to grow underground. Use care and fungicide to prevent rot.
This article is a stub.
I'll be adding more content to this article in the future.
Peanuts are an essential ingredient in many Earth dishes, including:
- Peanut Butter Sandwiches - peanut butter is often paired with fruit jelly, honey, mayonnaise, bananas, onions, or bacon.
- Swimming Rama - peanuts can be made into a sauce and served over meats and vegetables. In this Earth favorite, spinach is combined with a meat and drowned in peanut sauce.
- Peanut Brittle - a candy made from hardened sugar embedded with peanuts
- Emergency Rations - food paste made from peanut butter, oil, sugar, and other nutrients
- Peanut Butter Cookies - replace some of the fat in any cookie recipie with peanut butter and prepare to be amazed!