Most dwarves prefer to have as little to do with the ocean as possible, whether that means living beside, upon, or certainly within it. Nonetheless, some regard the open sea with incredible fascination. These rare few, referred to as "salt beards" by other dwarves, take to shipboard life as readily as any human or hadozee. They are expert armorers, weaponeers, and engineers, and their services are highly sought after by many captains. Some clans of dwarves settled not in the mountain delves favored by most of their race but in the tall, impregnable cliffs that overlook the sea. These seacliff dwarves are considered by other dwarves to all be salt beards, though in truth most of them prefer the safety and security of their subterranean homes as much as any other dwarf. The diffference is that those rare few among them who would be salt beards don't have far to go. All seacliff dwarves are good swimmers, as behooves folk whose lower passages can fill with seawater during major storms. Living areas and the like are always situated well above the highest such waterline. Seacliff dwarves are identical to the hill dwarves, except as noted.
Type Humanoid (dwarf)
Ability Score Modifier +2 Con, -2 Cha
Language Common, Dwarven
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma: Dwarves are both tough and wise, but also a bit gruff.
- Medium: Dwarves are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Slow and Steady: Dwarves have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
- Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Defensive Training: Dwarves get a +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant subtype.
- Greed: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on Appraise skill checks made to determine the price of nonmagical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones.
- Hardy: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
- Stability: Dwarves receive a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
- Stonecunning: Dwarves receive a +2 bonus on Perception checks to potentially notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking.
- Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.
- Strong Swimmer: Seacliff dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on Swim checks. Additionally, a seacliff dwarf doubles his Constitution score for the purposes of determining how long he can hold his breath before he must begin making checks against suffocation.
- Seacliff dwarves do not gain the +1 racial bonus to hit orcs and goblinoids that most dwarves do, since they have not encountered these creatures nearly as often as their mountain-dwelling cousins.
- Languages: Seacliff dwarves begin play speaking Common and Dwarven. Seacliff dwarves with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aquan, Giant, Gnome, Locathah, Terran, and Undercommon.