The Ānjao Ascendancy
The secretive group that works in the shadows across the continent to destroy advanced technology and its supporters wherever they are found
- Sage: The secretive and unconfirmed eleventh rank of the Ānjao - also known to some as "The Grandmaster". In theory, this rank would grant total control over the Ānjao Ascendancy, and while it is believed to have been filled and actively utilized in the past, the nature of the Anjao of the modern day has led many to believe that it was rendered obsolete and nonfunctional after the Ascendancy underwent a radical restructuring and diaspora centuries ago to prevent their enemies from striking at them in concentrated power centers.
- Mentor: A rank reserved only for the special, masterful few who not only demonstrate superb martial prowess and mastery of subterfuge and secrecy, but who come to a sage-like understanding of the Ascendancy's teachings and how to apply them to one's everyday life. The Mentors are often put in charge of a given faction within a given geographical area, and are broadly responsible for coordinating with other Ānjao factions across the world. The Mentor occupies the tenth rank of the ascendancy, and is extremely few in number - only single-digit numbers are believed to exist at any given time, with new Mentors being trained up from prospective Masters when previous Mentors either die or come close to retirement.
- Master: Only those of unfathomably skill and standing have ever been able to reach this rank in the Ascendancy, occuping its ninth rank alone - the Masters stand below the mentors as those who have completely mastered the Ascendancy's martial and subterfuge teachings and demonstrated a total grasp of all disciplines of the Ascendancy's combat teachings. Typically, this rank comes with great achievements given on the field of battle or in the field of espionage - either way, accomplishing great deeds in protecting the land of Zheng-Kitar and its people from the influence of those who would attempt to "modernize" the land's technology and bring the dreaded "rumblers" back into the world. When the Masters are dispatched on missions, the world is sure to take notice of their deeds - for they will shake the very foundations of that very world.
- Veteran: Occupying the sixth, seventh, and eighth ranks of the Ascendancy, the Veterans are those who have served for long periods of time in the Ascendancy while also proving themselves capable, trusted members of the organization. Like many ranks in the Ascendancy below master and sage, it is not strictly limited to martial combat or assassination - even those relegated to support roles or information gathering roles and the like can reach up to veteran status, though their upwards ascent is of course stymied if they lack the ability to master all aspects of the Ascendancy's values. They are often trusted with the jobs and assignments too dangerous, intensive, long-term, or otherwise complicated to give to Adepts or initiates, but can also be sent on tough missions alongside Adepts if the need arises. They are also almost exclusively the ones trusted with taking the Disciples out on training exercises supervised and organized by the Masters or Mentors.
- Adept: Occupying the third, fourth, and fifth ranks of the Ascendancy, the Adepts are the most populous members of the organization - those who have either joined by birth or recruitment, they are dispatched on a wide range of missions and carry out all kinds of jobs ranging from assassination, political espionage, alchemy, poison-making, intelligence gathering, and more.
- Disciple: Occupying the first and second ranks of the Ascendancy, the Disciples are the initiates, novices, and newcomers to the Ascendancy, whether by birth or by recruitment. They are ideally trained from as young an age as possible in the ways of the Ānjao to attain mastery over subterfuge, secrecy, bladed weapons, and all the deadly tools of their trade utilized to move unseen across the land and deliver death to all those who would dare to re-enact the cruelties of the War of Boiling Skies on the world at large. Once they have undergone years of training under a Veteran or Master, they are uplifted to the rank of Adept and given the signature thinblade of the Ānjao to call their very own.
Silent blades for a silent world.
One - The machines of death and those who make them must meet their end. Two - Our blades are meant to silence conflict; Never to begin it. Three - Secrecy is your shield; Subterfuge your weapon. Four - Never compromise the Ascendancy.
The people of the great mountaintop and underground citadels, diligent and hardworking.
Ezdhûlian Mountain Citadel
The enormous, sprawling mountaintop cities built in ancient times to house untold millions.
The roaring central hearts of the mountain citadels, where the greatest craftsmen in the world dream of going.
Landown Reactor Complex
The long-abandoned research complex, once the forefront of scientific advancement in the world.
Sinh, Saintbuster Zero
The first and only completed prototype of the Six Saintbuster Chassis, Ezdhulian godmachines crafted to house the Spirit Kings themselves.
The Ānjao Ascendancy
The secretive group that works in the shadows across the continent to destroy advanced technology and its supporters wherever they are found.
The Dûlhralian Accords
The treaty that broke the back of the Ezdhûlian people and stalled the advancement of technology indefinitely.
The titanic dragon-snake that slumbers eternal, bringer of the end when it wakes.
The last survivor of the Ezdhulian Alliance waging a solo war against the world, #2 most wanted being on Zheng-Kitar.
The Sixfold Sepulcher
The monument to all the lost victims of The War of Boiling Skies, mulched into sludge and denied a proper burial.
The pioneer, son of Lomdael the Betrayed, last of the Ezdhulian High Thanes and the madman whose ambitions nearly brought the world to ruin.