- Mission Type: Standup Fight
- Force Size: Unlimited
- Location: Grid H23
- Weather: Clear
- Time of Day: Late Morning
Situation OverviewAfter Priam Company went out on patrol, they discovered the Draconis Combine forces pushing towards White Reach and clearly seeming to have intent to enter the city to get at the mercenaries. Back in the cockpit of his BattleMaster, Commander Mikell Sethan ordered Sagittarius Lance to press out of the city limits to engage away from a denser population area. This decision is questionable, since there is a limited amount of cover outside the city. However, the Combine forces are coming full-ahead and seem itching for a fight. The only choice is to give it to them.
ObjectivesObjective: Destroy, or force 50% of the enemy forces to withdraw.
SetupBoth players set up terrain in alternating fashions; 1d6+1 Hill elements, 1d6+1 Rough Terrain elements, 1d6 Small Building elements, 1d3 Road elements. (For this battle, these are 5, 4, 5, and 1 respectively) The DCMS forces choose one side to enter from, only that third of the board will receive small building elements and road elements. No element which are not small buildings or roads may be placed with fewer than one hex close. Hill elements may be stacked atop each other.
- BLR-1G (Mikell) (2/3; Tactical Genius)*
- ON1-K (Reginald) (2/3)
- WHM-6R (Olivia) (1/2)
- VLK-QA (Casey) (3/4)
- Manticore ("Crazy Eight") (4/5)
- WHM-6R (2/3)*
- OSR-2C (3/4)
- GRF-1N (3/4)
- UM-R60 (4/5)
- Galleon (4/4)
- Vedette (4/4)
Special RulesForced Withdrawal: When certain conditions are met, the defending units will surrender in position. These conditions are as follows:
- If a BattleMech expends all their ammunition and has no more available weapons.
- If a BattleMech loses one side torso location due to damage.
- If a BattleMech sustains internal damage in two torso locations or three limb locations.
- If a BattleMech suffers two Engine hits or one Engine hit and one Gyro hit.
- If a BattleMech is rendered immobile or otherwise unable to escape the battlefield.
Salvage: Salvage may be achieved for units left behind on the battlefield if the objective is met.
Special AbilitiesTactical Genius: Officers often have a grasp of the broader situation on the battlefield, which leads to spectacular events concerning combat. This unit may choose to act one phase earlier in initiative phases.
"Sagittarius, our task is to engage the Combine forces and push them back. I want to hopefully drag off most of their forces, and not lose any of ours." Commander Sethan checked his sensors. "I'm seeing two Heavy 'Mechs out there, so try to prioritize them if you can. Any questions?"
"Sure." The Warhammer's comms came to life. "Do we get hazard pay?"
Mikell sighed while Casey chuckled into her comm. "Not until we're fighting them at home, Three. Let's move."
Turn 1(Image Link)
The beginning of a battle is usually the same, but Priam Company chose to advance cautiously until it could ascertain what it was going up against. The Combine forces instead moved quickly for the gap between two hills, using the high rise of rock as cover against having their assets fully detected. The lack of concrete information on what was out in the field leads Priam Company to hedge their bets.
The Ostroc takes two potshots at the Manticore, failing to connect. The Valkyrie chooses to move for the hill, sensing another 'Mech behind it and thinking to get the drop on it. The Orion hides behind the building tower, preparing to ambush whatever chooses to come around the corner. The Warhammer, having its chosen avenue cut off, now sets itself for a long-range battle next. The BattleMaster waits for signs of the other 'Mechs in combat, noting the Ostroc is probably not the only one on the field.
Turn 2(Image Link)
The engagement begins in earnest at the furthest reaches of the buildings. The commander of Priam Company chooses to move cautiously, poking with the BattleMaster's PPC at the enemy forces. Similarly the Priam Company Warhammer pokes with a PPC of its own into the distance and melts some armor off the front of the Vedette. The Valkyrie continues to make a dash for the rise, drawing fire briefly but nothing connects.
Turn 3(Image Link)
Straight down the middle, now, the enemy Warhammer closes to close range and sets its sights on the commander of Priam Company. It fires a quick barrage and lands hits to various places on the Manticore, while the Valkyrie turns guns on the Vedette as the closer and easier target. The Manticore ignores the Warhammer and its dangerous arsenal to strike at the Griffin, LRMs and PPC shots causing it to stumble slightly but stay upright.
The Galleon presumes to be pressuring the Orion as the Ostroc makes an effort to move in behind it and apply true pressure. The Vedette comes around the buildings, intending to make the Orion bleed; in turn, it is immediately faced - along with the Galleon - with a receiving barrage as the 'MechWarrior splits his arms wide to take shots. The Galleon takes it brutally, the side peeling open but the crew electing to fight on. The Vedette, meanwhile, finds the damage causes a weapons jam in the Autocannon. The shot from the tank lands into the side of the Orion, causing more armor to shear off. The Orion is hit hard by the Ostroc's weaponry, and can't stay upright. In the exchange, it manages to severely damage the Ostroc on the chest and arm. The pilot of the Orion reports an engine error, where some of the weaponry impacts had caused the fusion reactor shield to crack.
Turn 4(Image Link)
Maneuvering continues, with the Ostsol and Orion using the building tower for cover. A salvo of missiles from the Griffin causes a malfunction in the Manticore's fire control system, rendering its PPC useless. The BattleMaster lines up a shot and blast a PPC shot into the enemy Warhammer. The Priam Company Warhammer then moves to support the Orion, before firing a shot into the Ostroc and finishing off the left arm.
The enemy Warhammer fires, but fails to cause notable damage, while the Valkyrie fires on the Griffin to try to damage it. The UrbanMech quietly, slowly approaches and prepares to find a place to begin firing from.
Turn 5(Image Link)
Priam Company decides to close the gap and go in for the kill, the BattleMaster rushing at the UrbanMech and firing its shorter-range weapons. The UrbanMech stumbles, but has to withdraw as those Medium Lasers find and damage its gyro and engine housing. The Manticore and Vedette frantically try to recover their weapons, aware that one turn lost is one turn which means the situation can get worse.
And it does get worse. The enemy Warhammer lands a shot into the side of the Manticore which causes the motive system to break down, rendering the tank immobile. The Orion wheels around the building for cover, and destroys the pursuing Galleon tank, but the Ostroc swings around the corner and fires into the back of the Orion. The shots land with an incredible accuracy with a one-two punch of slicing into the back armor and then setting off the SRM ammunition. The Priam Company Warhammer in turn then unloads short-range weaponry into the Ostroc to make it pay dearly for the luck it enjoyed moments ago.
The enemy Griffin fires at the Manticore, while the Warhammer twists at the waist and focuses on the BattleMaster with weaponry on its right side.
Turn 6(Image Link)
It ends with another barrage of weaponry as the Manticore and BattleMaster both pour their arsenals into the enemy Warhammer. It simply cannot weather the assault, and surrenders after the engine and gyro are hit. On the other side, the friendly Warhammer continues a relentless attack on the Ostroc, withering fire forcing it to its knees before it shuts down and pitches forward from its heat load.
However, during the exchange with the BattleMaster, the enemy Warhammer manages to land two successive shots into the gyro assembly and shreds it. As the Manticore traverses its turret, and the other Warhammer now swings its attention around, the call is made to ask for mercy and allow the damaged 'Mechs to leave.
The Priam Company commander, barely thinking about the request, states he will grant safe passage as prisoners to the Combine 'MechWarriors and tank crews who survived. However, the 'Mechs are now a bargaining chip to get the Combine to back off its attention.
A rapid response team arrived to treat the wounded 'MechWarriors while teams began to drag the salvageable parts of the Orion and the other 'Mechs off the field. Commander Sethan will be out for a while, but 'MechWarrior Brand will return to service swiftly. Salvage recovery has begun to retrieve the objects from the field of battle, and prisoners have been transferred to the firebase.
- BLR-1G: Head (4 Armor), Left Arm (18 Armor), Right Arm (21 Armor), Left Leg (10 Armor), Right Leg (21 Armor), Left Torso (11 Armor), Right Torso (5 Armor), Center Torso (36 Armor), Gyro (Destroyed)
- WHM-6R A: Left Arm (6 Armor), Left Leg (7 Armor), Center Torso (20 Armor)
- WHM-6R B: Left Arm: (13 Armor), Right Arm: (15 Armor), Left Leg: (5 Armor), Left Torso: (4 Armor), Right Torso: (5 Armor), Center Torso: (12 Armor), Gyro (1 Hit), Engine (1 Hit)
- OSR-2C: Left Arm (Destroyed), Right Arm (6 Armor), Left Leg (12 Armor), Right Leg (4 Armor), Left Torso: (22 Armor, 25% Structure), Center Torso: (22 Armor, 25% Structure), Head: (8 Armor, 75% Structure)
- GRF-1N B: Left Arm (10 Armor), Right Arm (5 Armor), Left Torso (15 Armor), Right Torso (10 Armor), Gyro (1 Hit), Engine (1 Hit)
- ON1-K: Destroyed
- Manticore: Left (20 Armor), Right (9 Armor), Rear (10 Armor)
- BLR-1G: SRM 6 (1 ton)
- WHM-6R: SRM 6, Machine Guns (2 tons)
- VLK-QA: LRM 10 (1 ton)
- OSR-2C: SRM 4 (1 ton)
- GRF-1N: LRM 10 (1 ton)
- WHM-6R: SRM 6 (1 ton)
- Manticore: SRM 6, LRM 10 (2 tons)
Parts Not In Stock
- BLR-1G: Gyro
- Aubrey Duchen (1 Wound) (Target Number: 8+)
- Reginald Brand (1 Wound) (Target Number: 8+)
- Mikell Sethan (2 Wounds) (Target Number: 8+)
- GRF-1N: Salvaged. Sent to Repair.
- WHM-6R: Salvaged. Sent to Repair.
- OSR-2C: Salvaged. Sent to Repair.
- Vedette: Salvaged. Valued at 125 SP.
- Galleon GAL-100: Destroyed. Valued at 38 SP
- ON1-K: Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
- Autocannon/10 (1)
- Medium Laser (3)
- Small Laser
- Structure (75t Mech; LA, RA, LL, RL, H)
- WHM-6R (2/3): Surrendered. 'MechWarrior captured.
- OSR-2C (3/4): Surrendered. 'MechWarrior captured.
- GRF-1N (3/4): Surrendered. 'MechWarrior captured.
- UM-R60 (4/5): Surrendered. 'MechWarrior captured.
- Vedette (4/4): Surrendered. Crew captured.
- Galleon (4/4): Destroyed. Crew killed.