Church of the Scales
The primary religion of Chereladi, Zlora, and Pikae. Also followed in Kargasa and its affiliates but less formally.
The leader of the church is also the Head Adjudicator of the International Council. They disseminate official laws and local priests receive regular updates from the Council in order to interpret the teachings. Most medium-sized towns will have at least one priest of the Scales.
The Church is largely more acknowledged in higher society than lower classes. Commoners often cannot afford to strive for the Scales' sense of strict balance.
Tenets of Faith
Followers of the Church strive for balance and equity in their lives and the world around them. They seek to balance work and life, good and evil, generosity and selfishness. They worship groups of twinned deities which require worship of both halves of the pair.
- Worship of Love and Hate requires honoring both Ublasti, the nature of love and Kluasti, the nature of hate. One cannot be invoked without mention of the other or the worshiper risks an unbalance in the forces of the world. Prayers often include mentioning of how easily love can turn to hate, the passion both love and hate inspire in people, and ties both hate and love inflict on those who experience them.
- Worship of Order and Chaos often invokes the necessity of chaos before finding a sense of order, how easily order can deteriorate into chaos without careful attention, and how chaos can wipe clean an unjust system of order. The nature of order is known as Mesmeasti and the nature of chaos is Meprijasti.
- Worship of Justice and Deception honors Filjnesti, the forces of justice and truth, as well as Brentuida, the representation secretive deception and lies.
- Worship of Birth and Death focuses on bringing Biblasti, birth out of Jelpasti, death and the cyclic nature of life.
- Worship of Feast and Famine is one of the eldest elements of the Church of the Scales, with its dual elements being Abunjuti, meaning abundance in Old Ladi and Ekti, meaning lack or absence in Old Ladi. Scholars in the church think that Feast and Famine were the original two halves of the religion with the others building around them as human society developed.
- Worship of Innocence and Worldliness honors the correction of misunderstanding, the development of learning and education, and how those with knowledge pass on their understanding to those without. The concept of innocence or ignorance is known as Bjapasti and the concept of knowledge or arrogance is known as Mosti.
There is a sect of Orderlies who endorse multiple marriages and a freer expression of love than the mainstream faith. The Loving Scales believe that love can be best expressed among groups of people and that the ideal marriage is a triad. Mainstream Orderlies consider their beliefs unbalanced toward Ublasti in the Love and Hate balance.
Religious, Organised Religion
Related Ranks & Titles