The Mages Guild
The once proud Mages Guild remains but a shell of its former self. Nearly destroyed during the Reckoning, it has survived due to the heroic efforts of the Archmage Los, who has seen the guild through the rapid shifts in power. At one time the Mages Guild ruled over much of magic; controlling magical travel, magic item creation, and guarding the world against the terrible secrets the arcane hides. However, after being shattered by war and rebellion, the Mages Guild can barely maintain power in Majital, let alone the world. However, the future of the Mages Guild is brighter due to the resurgence of new magic from distant lands. The hunger for knowledge rekindled and unbound by the bygone bureaucracy.
StarterA set of Artisan's Tools of your choice, a letter of introduction from you guild, a set of traveler's clothes, and a belt pouch containing 15gp. Improved Starting Equipment - Choose three from the following item sets to start with: x2 Bandoliers, x3 Potions of Healing, Pole of Collapsing, Antitoxin, 2 empty vials, Bullseye Lantern, Smokestick, Net, Hourglass Vault of the Taltaken - This is a major upgrade which makes several starter items, listed below, available. This also will allow for Taltaken to be constructed in the future, which will be a special agenda to do so. Current members gain access to these items. You can choose up to two of these items to gain as a part of your starting equipment.
- Taltaken Flamestaff - This weapon functions as a quarterstaff, however if the spell green-flame blade is cast through it, you can effect a third creature with the effect that would normally affect the second creature with the spell. All normal rules still apply and it must be a separate creature from the first two targets.
- Taltaken Vambrace - While wearing this item, whenever you would hard cast shield, your AC from the spell is increase by 6 instead of by 5 for the duration.
- Taltaken Mask - While wearing this item, whenever you would hard cast a damaging cantrip, you deal 1 additional point of damage with that cantrip.
- Taltaken Gauntlet - While wearing this item, whenever you would hard cast Thunderwave, you deal an additional 1d8 of damage and the knockback is 15 feet instead of 10.
- Taltaken Belt - While wearing this item, whenever you would hard cast Enhance Ability, you can select two instead of one of the options available.
- Taltaken Greaves - While wearing this item, whenever you would hard cast Misty Step, you can teleport up to 100 feet instead of 30.
GeneralAttribute Cap Increase - +2 Intelligence; This boosts the maximum of an ability score, but not the score itself. Tool Proficiencies - 1 Artisan's Tool of your choice. Guild Band - Ring - This magic ring not only stands as a mark of your membership in the guild, but it is a power magic item in its own right. Guild Bands are simple platinum bands with a single gem decoration. The gem type and cut is whatever the individual wishes, yet within the gem burns the symbol for the Mages Guild. This ring provides the character wearing it access to a cantrip form the Wizard spell list of their choice. Once it is chose it cannot be changed. The character can cast this cantrip as long as they wear the ring, even if they themselves are not casters. This cantrip uses your Intelligence modifier.
Loyalty BenefitsThe Prismatic Schools (Feats) The following feats are from the prismatic schools, they have a prerequisite listed below and require loyalty to gain access to them. When you take a feat from one of the Prismatic schools, you may not take a feat from another prismatic school, but you can take a feat from another school type. "The Spellcasting Class feature from Wizard" includes both the Eldritch Knight Fighter and Arcane Trickster Rogue Archetypes. --- Red Mages - The Red Mages are a school of wizards that in the Mages Guild past, focused on combat magic and the application of martial and magical skill into a synergistic harmony. Later in their history a study of further development with the dwarves developed rune magic. Sigil of the Dane Prerequisite: The ability to cast an arcane spell; Proficiency with one martial weapon; 1 Loyalty to the Mage's Guild. You are trained in the efficiency of battle magic.
- You are surrounded by a sigil that protects you from physical harm, granting you a permanent Mage Armor effect that gives a base AC of 15 + your dexterity modifier.
- Whenever you critically hit with a spell, you can reroll any number of extra dice rolled each once and take the higher result.
- You gain a bonus to your initiative equal to your Intelligence modifier.
- Whenever you would cast an evocation spell, all enemies within 5 feet of you must make a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC. If they fail they take 1d6 primal damage plus another d6 per level of the spell cast. This happens simultaneously with the spell.
- Whenever you cast a spell with an area of effect, after you have chosen the area you must add 5-20 feet of extra space. This is determined randomly by a d4 roll. (1 - 5 feet, 2 - 10 feet, ect.)
- Whenever you would cast a damaging cantrip you can increase its damage by your proficiency modifier. If you do so you automatically take damage equal to your proficiency bonus. This cannot be avoided and happens even if you miss.
- Whenever you cast a spell, you can raise your spell save DC by 1 by consuming 100gp as a material component. You can pay this up to 3 times for each spell, and the price doubles for every increase. This effect lasts until the end of your turn.
- You can use a healing potion as a material component of your spell casting. If you do, you automatically heal yourself for the amount of the potion as part of casting the spell.
- Whenever you hard cast a non-ritual, non cantrip, divine spell, your next arcane spell has its DC increased by 2. This effect fades after 1 hour.
- Whenever you hard cast a non-ritual, non cantrip, arcane spell, your next divine spell has its DC increased by 2. This effect fades after 1 hour.
- If an enemy fails a saving throw of or be damaged by both an arcane and a divine spell hard cast by you, that enemy has disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a spell you cast. Your next spell that deals damage against that creature deals extra damage equal to your Intelligence if it's not already applied, and equal to your Wisdom modifier if it's not already applied.
- Whenever you would teleport in any fashion, you can increase its distance up to 50%, rounded down
- Whenever an enemy would miss you with a melee attack you can freely teleport 5 feet, but must remain within a creature's reach.
- Whenever you take the dash action, the distance moved is through teleportation and you can teleport anywhere within the range that you can see and is within distance. This distance is augmented by this feat.
- On the third round of combat, enemies have disadvantage on saving throws against your spells. This effect lasts 1 round, and only if you have at least 3 levels in Wizard.
- On the sixth round of combat, all damage you deal with spells is doubled for 1 round. This effect occurs only if you have at least 6 levels in Wizard.
- On the ninth round of combat, you are healed for half of your maximum hit points if you are conscious. This effect occurs only if you have at least 9 levels in Wizard.
- You can freely change any damage you deal with spells to the Astral damage type.
- If you hard cast the spell Magic Missile they take on the appearance of comets and one extra dart is created.
- If you can see the stars of the night sky (such as if its night), then all your spells have their DCs increased by 2 and you critically hit with spells that deal astral damage on a 19 or 20.
- Magic is too powerful to be trusted with ignorance, you must strive to educate those who seek it.
- You must seek to preserve knowledge and teach those who seek it.
- Seek the Truth. This is a process, not an end.
VINPCCor Cy Ael - The Mages Guild is no longer alone, the leader of the Shar'kai exiles offers his wisdom and support and can be contacted by the Chapter Master by simply approaching him.
RanksChaptermaster - Archmage (Leader) Quartermaster - Council Member Ambassador - Council Member Member - Wizard / Mage Guard
Special ActionsThe following actions a command staff member of the faction can decide to use. Sanction Taltaken A Taltaken can be sent to aid on a mission of any Mages Guild priority or with the priority of an ally to the Mages Guild. This creature will attempt to assist to the best of its ability, however its actions are controlled by the DM, it will not preform any action that may put its protectors in danger, nor will it act to harm the Mages Guild in anyway. If stuck in a logical Fallacy the creature will cease to function, save to protect itself and return to the guild. Should this creature be capture it will destroy itself as a triggered action, upon realization of its situation. DM discretion decides when such a thing will occur. The secrets of the Taltaken must be protected at all costs. You can only sanction a mission once a month with a Taltaken, but that creature stays until the mission is finished or one of the above parameters are met. In the event a mission takes longer than the cooldown, you can dispatch more Taltaken, but no more than two at a time. You lack sufficient resources.
ExitWhen leaving the Mages Guild you sacrifice all loyalty benefits and you must return your Guild band and any items from the Vault.
Faction Tool Empowerment: Brewer's Supplies +1 Brewer's Supplies are made available to the faction. Any faction member can use this kit, but it cannot be removed from the Bank, nor does it count toward the number of total magic items in the bank for the purpose of the magic item limit.---
Faction Tool Empowerment: Calligrapher's Supplies +1 Calligrapher's Supplies are made available to the faction. Any faction member can use this kit, but it cannot be removed from the Bank, nor does it count toward the number of total magic items in the bank for the purpose of the magic item limit.---
Shar'kai You can begin play as a Shar'kai if you start as a member of this faction at character creation. As a Shar'kai, you can also join this faction after character creation with an Ambassador's Reach.---
Hands of Tek'Du The Hands of Tek'Du give any of the facilities the faction builds a free upgrade upon completion for as long as the Hands of Tek'Du are active.
Faction Loyalty Milestones Achieved
- 15, Downtime - The faction itself gains downtime days as if it were a player, if 3 were awarded to the player base, the faction gets 3. These can only be used to progress agendas. These days will be submitted after each update stream.
- 27, Gold Income - The faction earns 1000 gold every update stream. This gold is immediately stored in the Faction Bank.
- 30, Forward Base 1 - The Faction begins to expand. You gain an outpost within the country that your Faction resides, Dolten for the World Wanderers. This outpost increases the magical item storage capabilities of your faction bank by 1. This outpost is not an RPable location, and can be destroyed through certain events.
- 41, Armory - The faction opens its own armory, in which adventuring gear, proficiency tools, and non-magical and exotic simple and martial weapons, armors, and mount/pet barding can be purchased using downtime days, faction members buy these at 50% discount, players from other factions and factionless buy them at full price and 50% is directed to the faction coffers. When you RP the purchase with the Quartermaster of a faction with this milestone, you do not need to spend a downtime day on shopping. If you do not, you must spend a downtime day to do so. In both cases you will need to submit a trading log in the trading-log chat below is an example.
(at) Trading (at) Yourdiscordname Spending “Total Gold spent” at the (Faction name) Armory Items bought and at what prices (at)QMThen the QM simply Confirms by also putting in how much gold will be added to their Faction bank.
- 49, Forward Base 2 - The Faction continues its expansion. You gain another outpost within the country that your Faction resides. This outpost increases the magical item storage capabilities of your faction bank by an additional 2. This outpost is not an RPable location, and can be destroyed through certain events.
- 50, Research Improvement - The Faction intensifies its researching capabilities. While the Faction has active research it will submit research days as if it were a player. These days cannot complete research.
- 57, Downtime - The faction itself gains downtime days as if it were 2 players, if 3 were awarded to the player base, the faction gets 6.These can only be used to progress agendas. (replace the previous downtime buff).
- 66, Medical Ward - The faction opens a medical ward, in which medical supplies, healing potions and anti-toxins can be bought using downtime days, faction members buy these at 50% discount, players from other factions and factionless buy them at full price and 50% is directed to the faction coffers. The medical ward stocks 6 basic healing, 2 greater healing potions and 2 anti-toxins each update stream. The medical ward can only stock each item up to the amount of members in the faction. Non-members and Factionless must RP the purchase of these materials.
- 75, Forward Base 3 - The Faction expands deep into its country. You gain another outpost within the country that your Faction resides. This outpost increases the - magical item storage capabilities of your faction bank by an additional 3. This outpost is not an RPable location, and can be destroyed through certain events.
- 88, Gold Income - The faction earns 2500 gold every update stream. This gold is immediately stored in the Faction Bank. This overwrites the previous Gold Income milestone.
- 90, Forward Base 4 - The Faction expands its influence to the corners of its country. You gain another outpost within the country that your Faction resides, the World Wanderers may choose another country to build this outpost in. This outpost increases the magical item storage capabilities of your faction bank by an additional 3. This outpost is not an RPable location, and can be destroyed through certain events.