Empire of Relan
Empire of Relan is the biggest country of the Elves situated in northetn Veneficia. Through the mountains of the central range it borders the Tarran League and the Tarran Crown Lands.
Ruler of the Empire bears the title of Emperor (or Empress) which is inheritable to the oldest child. Both men and women are allowed to sit on the imperial throne. Emperor is the highest authority in the country and has legislative, executive and judicial powers. However, in none of this roles he is alone. Imperial Council assists the ruler in executive and legislative matters. There is also the General Assembly of nobles, which proposes laws and the judicial matters are mostly handled by Imeprial Courts. However, the Emperor is the highest judge and can overrule any court.
Officials in the Imperial Court
- Majordomo - the highest ranking official in the Imperial Court. He is responsible for administrating the court and can act as the emperor's assistant or second-in-command. Majordomo can also command the imperial army in battle or lead the proceedings of the High Imperial Court, the highest court in the country.
- Steward - official responsible for taking care of the imperial treasury and collecting the taxes. Steward can also represent the emperor outside the palace. Many stewards competed with majordomos for the emperor's good graces and court position.
- Seneschal - the imperial spymaster. He coordinates agents both inside and outside the empire working to protect the country and harm its enemies. Seneschal is the one official whose loyalty emperor never wants to lose.
- Master of Ceremonies - official responsible for the proper preparation and execution of all events and ceremonies in the imperial court. He makes sure that everything is prepared and proper etiquette is followed. He is also the person who announces guests during audiences.
- Marshal - the highest ranking military officer in the empire. He commands and administers the imperial army.
- Keeper of the Seals - chief secretary of the emperor and caretaker of the imperial seals.
- Captain of the Imperial Guard - the commanding officer of the Imperial Guard is always a noble who has proved their loyalty to the Emperor. In most cases, they are chosen by each new emperor and serve throughout their reign.
- Maids of Honour - young noble ladies who serve the empress-consort. In case when there is empress-regnant there are Knights of Honour who serve the emperor-consort.
- Secretaries - these low ranking officials are responsible for preparing the documents and communicating the emperor's wishes to the rest of the court and to the Empire. They report to the Keeper of the Seals
- Standard bearers - non-noble officials who carry the imperial standards everywhere the emperor goes. Usually, they are members of the Imperial Guard
- Cup-bearer - emperor's taster. Checks if food and drinks are save to consume. The same as standard bearers, they are usually not nobles.
Additionally, the Imperial Court is full of courtiers without specific roles. In the past, these were knights who marched with the emperor to battle. Today, they are nobles who want to show their loyalty and get something from the emperor.
Have you seen the majordomo's wife? I heard she had this dress sent all the way from Levna. It crossed Pianura Secca!