Toy Soldier Saga Series
A fantasy space opera series of forthcoming novels, and published & forthcoming short fiction
Short FictionThe Toy Soldier Saga includes the following short stories, novelettes, and novellas:
- Survivor (Short Story): first published 2015, reprinted 2017 & 2018, performed on the Blue Funk Podcast 2020
- Eye of the Storm (Novelette): first published 2017
- Homefront (Novella): first published 2018
- The Queen's Dirk (Novelette): first published 2019 *WorldAnvil Exclusive!
- As Only a Soldier Can (Short Story): first published 2020 *WorldAnvil Exclusive!
- Pirate Princess Thief Assassin (Short Story): release TBA
NovelsThe Toy Soldier Saga is scheduled to include the following novels:
- A Few Good Elves: release scheduled for 2020
- To Know Your Enemy: release TBA
- Brothers in Arms: release TBA
- Sable's Privateers: release TBA
- The Mandate of Avalon (working title): release TBA
Publication OrderThe Toy Soldier Saga was published in the following order. Please note that there may be spoilers if you do decide to read them in this order:
- Survivor - contains spoilers for A Few Good Elves
- Eye of the Storm - contains spoilers for Brothers in Arms
- Homefront - contains spoilers for A Few Good Elves, Brothers in Arms, Sable's Privateers
- The Queen's Dirk - contains minor spoilers for A Few Good Elves
- As Only a Soldier Can - contains spoilers for A Few Good Elves, To Know Your Enemy, Brothers in Arms
Chronological OrderA chronological reading of the Toy Soldier Saga may be more rewarding if you dislike spoilers. The author recommends the following, with cross-references pointed out in case you would like a completely chronological reading:
- The Queen's Dirk - Takes place at the beginning of Part 2 in A Few Good Elves. Minor spoilers, but nothing that would wreck the plot. I think of it more like an appetizer!
- A Few Good Elves
- Survivor - Takes place at the end of Part 1 of To Know Your Enemy.
- To Know Your Enemy
- Eye of the Storm - Takes place at the end of the first chapter of Brothers in Arms.
- Brothers in Arms
- Homefront - Begins between Part 2 and Part 3 of A Few Good Elves; ends at the end of Brothers in Arms. But unless you've already done a full read-through, you won't want to read this until now because ~spoilers!~
- Pirate Princess Thief Assassin - Takes place sort of in the middle of Brothers in Arms, but you won't want to read it until now unless you desperately need a break in the tension.
- Sable's Privateers
- As Only a Soldier Can - Takes place near the end of Sable's Privateers.
- The Mandate of Avalon
Read the Series So Far!
The Queen's Dirk
Elven Star-Pilot Shaundar Sunfall wants a chance to prove himself in battle. He's going to get it.
A Few Good Elves
When elven Star-Pilot Shaundar Sunfall lied about his age to join the Avalonian Navy, he hoped to defend his people against their ancient enemies, the orcs. But he soon learns that war is no great adventure.
Don't forget that you can click on the blue compass on the left to access the Table of Contents at any time!
Want to read all of the Toy Soldier Saga fiction, even before the rest of the world does?Subscribe now!
Machinima Book TrailersWhen the Toy Soldier Saga was still a fan-fiction project, Diane Morrison made some machinima book trailers to help her get a sense of the progression of the series. See Toy Soldier Saga Book Trailers or the individual articles for each of the main novels.
Subscribe to the Toy Soldier SagaIf you don't want to wait for the books, you can get the entire Toy Soldier Saga right here in serialized form by supporting Diane's Patreon! Find the sign-up button below.
EYE OF THE STORM
"Shaundar Sunfall is in a foreign place pretending to be someone he is not. Yet as he gets closer to his "pretend" wife he realizes he has feelings for a woman he is not supposed to care for. This was an interesting story and I wasn't sure exactly what was going on at the beginning and I almost felt as though it belonged within a greater story. I liked the chemistry between the two and I am curious to see what happens with Shaundar's mission."
"Eye of the Storm by Diane Morrison stood out for me. I liked the elf/orc dynamic."
"Amongst my favorites were the story by Diane Morrison (man oh man, I wished that were a full-length novel -- I'd buy it without hesitation!)"