Dwarven Generals are the military heads of the Dwarven Army, each one leading one of the different Dwarven Squads.
ResponsibilitiesDwarven Generals have various responsibilities that a normal soldier would not have. They deal with the paperwork and tactics required to keep the squads functioning and thriving even in wartime. If they do not get these done in time, they are often considered for demotion. It is a large part of Dwarven culture to follow one's responsibilities, and those that do not are not believed to be fit to have any. They also are the ones that lead the army in all training, battles, and even daily life. All soldiers in a squad look up to their Generals as models of what their behavior should be. In battle, they lead their forces often by standing at the front of their forces. In training, they do everything with their men. In daily life, many will spend days simply being around their squadmates and getting to know them.
Political RoleGenerals must also consult with the King and Prime Minister about their plans. They are not only military figures but also hold an important place in Dwarven politics. Their opinion of who should be voted as Prime Minister (and King candidate) is often a hotly contested subject when election season rolls around. Generals are asked to write columns about their opinions, even outside of election season. Each squad has their own newspapers which give news on the happenings around their territories, and also feature the opinion columns of each of their respective Generals. The newspapers are as follows for each General and their respective squad:
- Getting Into the Nuts and Bolts- The Golden Automaton Newspaper, which often shows off new weapons or armor created by both squad members and people that send in their own creations.
- News from the Forge- The Silver Angels Newspaper, reporting on events that happen in Ironforge.
- Magic Today- The Orange Phoenix Newspaper, keeping people up to date on magical findings and also featuring weekly magic lessons.
- Southern Update- The Red Dragons Newspaper, informing people of the latest Draconian politics.
- Forest Dispatch- The Green Ghost Newspaper, which features new findings from the Elven Forest each week.
- Wolf Mail- The White Wolves Newspaper, a monthly publication rather than a weekly one due to the difficulties they have leaving the snowy regions they reside in. It is often filled with conspiracy theories.
- Wine and Dine- The Violet Vipers Newspaper, known for featuring gourmet recipes and restaurant recommendations, as well as scathing critiques of newly published novels and art pieces.
- Cave Bulletin- The Blue Devil Newspaper, this is the shortest one most weeks as their lands are not very newsworthy. In recent times, they have begun publishing mostly crossword puzzles and comic strips.
- AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH- The Black Boar Newspaper, often just incomprehensible scribbles on a piece of paper, alongside sometimes interesting news about Central Dwarven territory written by guest columnists.