Power always requires a sacrifice. A sacrifice where one forfeits a crucial part of himself. That was the price I had to pay. That powerless little kid whose hands were too small to carry the weight of his crown. I had to snuff him out and cast aside his childish toys because that was the only way I could survive. That was the only way I could ever move forward, which is what everyone would’ve wanted. After all, if I hadn't then who would?Ains Ravenwood
OverviewBorn as a prince of Volana and destined to be its future king, Ains suffered the misfortunes of losing his birthright when the Ithican Empire defeated his father in a decade long war, marking the end of the Ravenwood dynasty. This gave the Ithicans the opportunity to seize the entirety of his homeland and oust a large number of his people into the harsh winters of the Astrea. Although he never wanted power and especially the burdens that followed, Ains - unable to ignore the suffering of his people and the final wishes of his family without experiencing some form of guilt - will stop at nothing to restore the throne, even if it means resorting to morally reprehensible acts or sacrificing his own happiness. However, it doesn’t take long for it to take a toll on him, both physically and mentally.
As a third tier magic user, he can learn a maximum of six spells. Universal and perceptive abilities do not count.
Read List of Spells
Ethereal Flow (Universal)Triggers a surge of mana to flow throughout the mage's body, creating a luminescent glow in their eyes. This sharpens their reflexes and agility while producing superhuman strength and activating their regenerative abilities.
Regeneration (Universal)A passive that naturally tends to open wounds. Severe injuries generally take longer to heal, but the stronger the mage, the faster the process. There are some situations where this passive cannot operate. For example, one cannot regenerate lost limbs due to severed nerves.
Siphoning (Universal)The process of channeling mana from ley lines or through other users and souls.
Suppression (Universal)The act of weakening the flow of mana or outright concealing it. It is usually as a means to avoid detection by others but is generally ineffective against shamans stronger than the individual due to their perceptive abilities.
Exquisite Strike (Enchantment)Offers a mid-range advantage by creating beams of arcanic slashes that can be used as projectiles upon swinging one’s weapon. Requires an enchanted sword.
Fireball (Destruction)A basic spell that blasts a fiery blue ball.
Combustion (Destruction)Produces a powerful blast that leaves flames in the surrounding area. Can easily exhaust the caster if used too often.
Havoc (Conjuration)Launches a single lance at an instantaneous rate. This spell has been synthesized with...
Bitter AfflictionThe mage is now not only able to summon multiple lances but is also capable of fusing them together to deal better damage as part of the synthesis. Requires time and concentration to summon all four.
Bitter ExecutionFour lances surrounds caster, spinning in a whirlwind fashion. Can launch at enemy targets due to synthesis.
Lethal Transfix (Conjuration)Summons spears that impale enemies from the ground.
Aura/Magic DetectionThe ability to sense the presence of magic in one's vicinity.
ReconstructionThe ability to examine bloodstains and recreate events that took place for a few seconds based on the lingering traces of mana.
Apparel & Accessories
In battle, he wears a light plate armor. On the front is a dark purple and a dark green tabard depicting the image of a raven and a moon, and attached to the back is a tattered cloak. It's a pretty worn-out look, but the feathers decorating his shoulder piece slightly make up for it. Overall, however, it should be noted that Ains isn't very extravagant in most cases, so he prefers to wear something as simple as a white tunic and a pair of dark trousers for casual wear.
Morality & Philosophy
There will always be those who will go against you. Be ruthless.It's not uncommon to hold an extremely bias perception when drawing the line between good and evil. Such instances especially occur among several of the ethnic groups who, by claiming to be morally superior over the other, tend to invoke widespread racism and jingoism. Thus like most Volaines, Ains held a grudge against the Velarics and Astralyns who had torn his family apart, and his sentiments initially made him ruthless without hesitation. Albeit with age and experience, he gradually developed a more objective and sympathetic standpoint upon grasping the moral complexity of his surroundings. Thus he is much more open-minded unlike before.Zieren to Ains
However, with open-mindedness comes many moral dilemmas. Ains longs to be a better person in comparison to his younger self, but he unfortunately struggles to live up to that ideal. The pursuit of power inevitably attracts a breed of enemies. To survive, immorality becomes a necessity. While he does indeed maintain some level of honor and is absolutely against needless violence, he will favor efficiency over morality if need be, thereby employing various Machivillein tactics.
Virtues & Personality perks
- Extremely observant and insightful - His keen observations enable him to see through disingenuous motives, allowing him to step past manipulation tactics. By reading in between the lines, he is also able to piece certain information together to form the bigger picture.
- Strategic - As such, his insights help him conjure up effective tactics and strategies.
- Determined - His diligence allows him to achieve efficient results and never lose sight of his goals, although he is rather workaholic to a fault.
- Open-minded - By embracing new ideas and unfamiliar concepts, he is neither complacent nor does he conform to the black-and-white perceptions prevalent in his culture. Furthermore, he is able to achieve his goals through unconventional means.
- Combat Abilities (Mobility & Endurance) - He is known to be exceedingly versatile in battle through his aptitude in magic combined with his swordsmanship. However, he falls short on defense and is frequently susceptible to injuries ranging from minor to severe despite his regenerative abilities.
Vices & Personality flaws
- Gives into social pressure - Ains is a goal-oriented person whose notions of success were ultimately defined by his family, culture, and social sphere. While it does establish a sense of unwavering determination on the forefront, problems inevitably arise when he centers his entire identity according to the expectations of others rather than his own desires.
- Overly Perfectionistic - He struggles to deal with failure due to his fear of disappointing others.
- Emotionally private - Due to his perfectionistic tendencies, Ains does not like to be seen struggling. While he isn't necessarily stoic, at least completely, he often bottles up his more vulnerable emotions, leaving him with very few options for letting off steam. This can gradually wear and crack him down underneath a strong-willed facade while others assume that he is perfectly fine.
- Out of touch with himself - In his attempt to model himself according to societal and familial expectations, he no longer knows what he truly wants or what his real feelings or interests really are. Thus he is inevitably prone to self-deception while entrapping himself into a state of unhappiness.
- Prone to self-blaming - Ains has a habit of blaming himself regardless of whether the situation at hand was within or beyond his control.
- Unable to unlock his full potential - His type of constitution presents its own disadvantage. It appears seemingly stronger than others, but because it's a type that's practically unheard of, the lack of knowledge in his environment prevents him from truly unlocking his full potential. Hence he is unable to break through the Ethereal Realm (fourth tier) despite his aptitude.
- He has a love for eggs, which some people like to apparently poke fun of to the point where he was dubbed the name “Egg Boy” in the tavern he works at.
- Has a high tolerance for alcohol, so he almost never feels drunk or intoxicated.
- Ains despises the heat. Despite his cool-headed demeanor, he can be irritable when the weather is killing him.
- He doesn't like to eat when he is in a bad mood, and he may occasionally even starve himself as a result.
- Likes to go outside and wrap himself in a blanket whenever he can.
- He usually wears a straight face, and while his demeanor may came off as gloomy, he is normally mellow in actuality.
- Whenever he spots a detail that throws him off, he tends to look around at other people to see if anyone else notices.
- He raises or furrows his brows when weirded out. This especially happens when he is around Reivan, whose absurd tendencies and lack of self-awareness often creates an embarrassing scene in public.
- Ains sometimes experience second-hand embarrassment from Reivan, prompting him to either widen his eyes or avert eye contact altogether while pretending he isn't associated with him in any way, shape, or form.
- He has a habit of resting the side of his index finger on his lip or pressing his cheek with his hand when contemplating.
Hobbies & Pets
"It's funny how much the universe works against me sometimes."Ains is both crude yet refined. Back when he was a prince, he was quite the bookworm and naturally developed an eloquent way of speaking. During his exile, however, he became more vulgar while picking up a snarky and self-deprecating humor. He usually switches from one to the other depending on the situation, and there are times when he can be soft-spoken.
Towards Illethia Ailerion
Towards Ains Ravenwood
Towards Alwin Ailerion
Towards Ains Ravenwood
- Neutral Good
- Honorary & Occupational Titles
- The Vanquisher
- Current Residence
- The Red Reverie
- Biological Sex
- Emerald green / Sea green (magic)
- Feathery, Black
- 179 cm (5’10”)
- 72 kg (159 lbs)
- Quotes & Catchphrases
- "Eulara. If you're real, strike me down and take me away."
Introduction to the Magic System
In essence, magic refers to the life force contained within one’s self and the process of harnessing it from the metaphysical plane within the individual’s mind into something tangible.
A sorcerer who aspires to become the Astral Scholar, hoping to succeed where her mother had failed.
The Red Reverie
Welcome to the Red Reverie, weary traveler. Here you can find yourself at home, meet new faces, and enjoy a wide variety of our delicacies, all at an affordable price!
Born with a Spirit Constitution, shamans are mages capable of bending the will of their enemies.
The Faceless Ones
As ostracized members of Volaine society, the Faceless Ones are dehumanized with facial tattoos, stripping them from their own sense of individuality.
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild