The universe is a flawed creation, so am I. Does that mean I am any lesser than any of you? No! We're all flawed one way or another!
Unlike other crossbreeds, Ganzi are an unique specimen amongst Fabulae's races. Born from a cosmic error, their kind embodies the concepts of entropy. And for many, their mere existence goes against the cosmic laws of the multiverse.
Ganzi appear mostly Human, although their chaotic nature does shine through. Common traits are shifting birthmarks and colour-altering hair. Some develop things such as feathers and scales on their bodies as well. Rare cases even gain prehensile tails or have eyes and digits extra and/or missing.
Being creatures made from the entropy of the cosmos, Ganzi are able to manipulate it to some extent. As such, their bodies are much more difficult to twist through by other forces.
This trait often shows up in polymorphing spells, but also electrocution and acids. Either their body reduces its effects, or downright negates it entirely.
As embodiments of change and chaos, Ganzi have quite a list of abilities their kind can be born with. These traits can differ from person to person, but a few abilities seem more common than others:
- Amorphous Limbs: Many Ganzi can manipulate their flesh to turn their limbs into suitable weapons. Common forms are either creating claws, hardened skin or large spikes.
- Chaos Magic: Due to their association with the cosmic flaws, many Ganzi are also capable of using magic. Many of their obtained spells often sit amongst the illusionary and evocation spells.
- Chaotic Mind: A few Ganzi have such a chaotic mindset that barely can be mentally influenced. The downside is that their attention span is almost non-existent.
- Chaotic Touch: Some Ganzi can disorient an individual with a mere touch. Victims describe the effect as their brains getting scrambled for a few seconds before coming to their senses.
- Entropic Flesh: Many Ganzi can twist their own flesh, giving them a natural immunity to transmutation spells. It also makes them hard to contain, able to squeeze through tight fits.
- Fate Manipulation: The most common trait for Ganzi is their control of fate itself. By warping the fabric of reality, they cause both good and bad luck to occur for anyone around them.
- Ink Production: A few Ganzi have their saliva replaced with a thick inky substance. Due to their sheer production of it, they can use it as a defence mechanism to either blind or trip foes.
- Law Disruption: Some Ganzi can disrupt order in the bodies of beings, causing internal issues. For beings of lawful nature, such effects are downright devastating.
- Uncanny Aura: Particular Ganzi can cause their appearance to look uncanny for others. By letting their forms completely fall apart for a brief second, they take on ghastly forms that can almost frighten anyone.
Genetics and Reproduction
Ganzi are born as a result of a cosmic flaw occurring during pregnancy. As such, any of their Ganzi traits are not carried over to their child. Due to the nature of their creation, their kind is also very rare, with the chance being at least one in a million.
Civilization and Culture
Common Myths and Legends
- Ganzi can change sex: While their bodies are chaotic in nature, they can't change sex.
- Ganzi are cold-blooded: Despite some reptillian elements, they are still hot-blooded creatures.
- Ganzi spit is poisonous: Although very thick and slimy, Ganzi spit is completely harmless.
Interspecies Relations and Assumptions
Since Ganzi are so rare and hard to find, their existence is sometimes mythical. It doesn't mean though they're unknown. Many cultures has recorded encounters with them for centuries, if not millenia. And in many cases, they're just seen as something that can happen to any person.
The problems come because of them struggling with their rampant thought progresses. Their mindset is everchanging, with it being hard to pinpoint what they want in life. In most cases they even explore the world to find a goal to strive for.
As such, they make good allies with travelling Sylphs or other chaotic races. Most find proper alliance with Goblins and Kobolds, who often think alike with the Ganzi.
Most Ganzi are indecisive individuals, changing topics and goals every so often. As such, they rarely sit still to ponder things, jumping from moment to moment instead. For them there's only the present, and whatever the future might hold.
1.55m - 1.85m
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild
Dr Emily Vair-Turnbull
Ohh, these are super interesting. I love that the things that mark them out as different can be either benign or a disadvantage.
Ooh, this is cool! I really love the ganzis. And the drawing of a ganzi is so pretty! Raising a ganzi child must be very difficult, now that I think of it. A great article!
This is amazing ! Do you have any tips for making races ? I'm beginning writing a world, and I'm not sure about the races. Thanks for the stat block, btw
Depending on what you focus on (storytelling, tabletop gaming, general worldbuilding), it's best to just have a basic idea what makes this race unique enough to be a race and not say, a culture. Do they have traits others don't, are there rumours floating around that might not be true, do people view them differently due to different historical events? Really my best rule is to come from a concept (a half-breed, wielding a type of magic, some animal turned humanoid, etc.) and work from there, and ask constantly "how would such race function alongside others and/or themselves"?
Okay, I see. Thanks for the tips !