Shinigami Research and Development Institute
The Shinigami Research and Development Institute is an organization within Soul Society.
Sub-LabsThe Shinigami Research and Development Institute is nothing more than a series of labs specializing in particular types of research. These specialized labs include:
- Reinō Spiritual Ability Research Facility: Develops new spiritual tools and instruments.
- Spiritual Wave Measurement Lab: Closely monitors the World of the Living to ensure spiritual stability. Rin Tsubokura is a member of this lab.
- Communication Research Section: Oversees transmissions between the World of the Living and Soul Society. This lab is responsible for the development of communication technology, including soul cellphones.
- Gokon Tekkō: A glove which forcibly removes the soul from the body.
- Denreishinki: Used for communication between Shinigami deployed in the World of the Living and Soul Society. Also used for Hollow detection.
- Gikongan: The Shinigami Research and Development Institute has performed extensive research into the modification of Souls; the results of this research were Artificial Souls, both in the form of "soul candy" and Project Spearhead.
- Gigai Development: Maintains Gigais and developing new ones.
- Soma Fixer: An item used by Shinigami to help them synchronize with their Gigai.
- Kenpachi's Eye Patch: Developed Kenpachi Zaraki's Reiatsu-absorbing eye patch.
- The main function of the SRDI is to research and develop new technology and spiritual tools. They have invented countless items. Throughout the day and night, experiments are conducted at the Reinō Spiritual Ability Research Facility to develop new spiritual tools and instruments. The department brings together the Soul Society's top technicians, who were recruited by Kisuke Urahara and Mayuri Kurotsuchi.
- The second function of the SRDI is to measure spiritual waves and oversee communications. The Spiritual Wave Measurement Lab closely monitors the World of the Living to ensure spiritual stability. The Communications Research Section oversees transmissions between the World of the Living and Soul Society, carrying out the other important function of the institute. If an incident occurs, things become pretty hectic, but otherwise, it is usually slow.
110 years ago, the Shinigami Research and Development Institute was conceptualized and created by Kisuke Urahara, then the newly-promoted Captain of the 12th Division, who intended for it to be attached to the 12th Division. The institute is behind the development of many of the technologies that aid the Shinigami. The SRDI has close ties with the 12th Division of the Gotei 13 and the president of the institute has also served as the Captain of that division.