Read the sidebar for project overview + instructions on how to participate!
Progress and Ideas
- Government Structure
- Ruled by the Ilerian Majority
- Strict Caste system in place
- Controlled by the Priest Caste
- Water Department
- Function of the Government
- Fox symbolism (why ?)
- Controls the flow of water
- Proxy control of city
- Aqueducts move water
- Natural water heavily guarded
- Recently increased security
- Magical water accepted
- Honorable / respected profession
- Strictly regulated by city
- Shrouded in mystery (Masonic ?)
- Potential: Worships old insect deity
- Processes catches into food
- Sells to all facets of society
- Magical food accepted
- Military and Peacekeeping
- Small standing army
- Ilerian controlled
- Mercenaries as backups
- Mounted Cavalry - Camel
- Mounted Cavalry - Wyvern
- Only Priests can be top dogs
- Can unofficially buy ranks
- Protects city + Patrols
- Popular with adventurers
- Visited by desperate travelers
- Desert adventuring gear
- Textiles: Silk, Linen, Cotton
- Potential: Papyrus textiles
- 1 Main Coliseum located in city
- Privately owned, non-Government
- Camel Racing
- Camel Jousting
- Blood sports are outlawed
- 1 Main Amphitheater located in city
- State sponsored building
- Performances mostly religious plays
- Native dances performed weekl
- Performers are special priestly caste
- Potential: Seven Dancing Veils
- Secret Temple
- Dedicated to forbidden god
- Own secret power
- Hidden underneath city
- Potential: Scorpion God
- Organized Crime Ring
- Street Urchin foundation
- Well-organized network
- Has shops and fences
- Has Meeting Houses
- Uses symbol codes
- Deals in pick-pocketing to extortion
- High-ranking officials in pocket
- I enter one of the most notable cities in your world. How do I enter it and what will be my first impression?
- Is there a geographical landmark deep underneath the surface of your world? How would someone from the surface access it and what would they find?
- During their activity they missed utter disaster by just a small margin. What happened?
You may notice over on my worldEMBER kickoff post that the Settlement prompt on my article table says "Build an entire city through crowdsourcing!"... What it means is that I want your help, as fellow worldEMBER participants, to build one of the largest cities to date: Sotep-Shiran.
Sotep-Shiran is the trade capital of the desert region of the Midlands, located in the Untamed Lands- the area of Tolara (where my campaign takes place) that hasn't been claimed by a government yet; largely unexplored and uninhabited, the Untamed Lands are dangerous. It's from that danger that Sotep-Shiran was formed- providing the necessary safety and security the people of the Midlands needed to survive in the harsh desert climate.
It's filled with the Ileri and Enethi, two Ferenian (Human) subethnicities locked in a cultural war with one another; on one hand, you have the Ileri who worship the Goddess of the Water... On the other, the Enethi, worshipers of the Sun- all wrapped up with Ancient Egyptian and Persian influence, and under constant assault from the Khenra.
This is my my baby.
My worldEMBER showstopper
I want it to be big, and glorious, and beautiful, and wordy as hell- and that's where y'all come in; you get to decide exactly how Sotep-Shiran turns out- from infrastructure, to buildings, shop names, and everything in between.
So leave your ideas right here in the comments section of Sotep-Shiran's article, tweet at me on Twitter @yeshummingbird, or hit me up in the World Anvil community Discord Server @LittleLilacFox#1500- and watch Sotep-Shiran develop before your very eyes, influenced by users from our own community!
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild