Orcs are, arguably, one of the most prolific peoples on Iosterra. Deeply associated with the para-elemental planes and lords, they share a similar lineage to the Orosa, whose origins are with the prime elements. Broadly speaking, Orcs are larger than humans, with dense musculature, coarse hair, and pronounced canines. Their hair colour and complexion is determined by their para-elemental origin. Orcs can be found in virtually any climate or location and are known for their hardy constitutions. The known kinds of Orcs are: Lava, Smoke, Silt, and Ice. Rumours persist of other lines, but these have not been confirmed, or the proof has been lost to time. The Para-Elemental Lords created Orcs during the Age of Creation, at the same time the other Elemental races, such as the Elves and Orosa, were being created. Like their distant kin, they served as their creators foot-soldiers during the Age of Chaos, and were scattered during the Age of Dragons. Owing to their preference for areas that are representative of mixed elements, Orcs often find themselves sharing and competing for resources with Elves.
Anatomy & Morphology
Humanoid, larger than humans, with heavier skeletons and denser musculature.
Genetics and Reproduction
Orcs have stable genetics, and can interbreed with most other peoples of Iosterra. Orcs from different lineages can mix (and often do), but only ever manifest one line's abilities. Their other parent's influence is most strikingly seen as mixed colouration patterns.
Growth Rate & Stages
Orcs mature physically and mentally more quickly than humans, reaching full adulthood at around 16. Orcs can be long lived, but are generally considered "old" in their 60's. The oldest recorded Orc was 124 years old when they died in a boating accident.
Ecology and Habitats
The optimal habitat for Orcs is in locations where their associated element can be found naturally, but they can survive and thrive virtually anywhere.
Dietary Needs and Habits
Orcs are omnivores with a preference for protein.
Anterior pigmentation comes up to the cheeks, where it fades into posterior pigmentation. Orcs have heavy jaws and pronounced canine teeth, which in extreme cases can result in a minor tusk like effect from the lower jaw, but this is uncommon.
Geographic Origin and Distribution
Global, generally located in areas where their natural para-element occurs naturally.
Perception and Sensory Capabilities
Orcs have keen eyesight and hearing, and can sense if something uses elemental magic associated to their elemental connections. Ice Orcs can sense water and air effects, Lava Orcs earth and fire, Silt Orcs earth and water, and Smoke Orcs air and fire. They cannot determine anything specific about the magic, only that it is present.
Civilization and Culture
Interspecies Relations and Assumptions
Orcs have mixed relationships with other species, depending on whether they are competing for resources or coexisting in different niches in the same area. Some bands are fiercely territorial, while others have assimilated into the cultures around them or assimilated outsiders into their culture. With perspectives more in line with those of humans, orcs and humans frequently intermix if the relevant cultures permit it (and often even if they don't). Orcs are generally neutral towards Elves, but have a deep history of animosity with the Orosa, which has lasted through millennia into the modern era.
- Para-Elemental (Smoke, Silt, Lava, Ice)
- 80 Years
- Average Height
- Males: 1.7m to 2.2m Females: 1.6m to 2m
- Average Weight
- Males: 100kg to 180kg Females: 80kg to 140kg
- Average Physique
- Orcs tend to be muscular and thick hewed.
- Body Tint, Colouring and Marking
- Orc pigmentation is tied directly to the para-element(s) they are associated to, as follows: Ice Orcs: blue to grey eyes, white to light blue anterior, light blue to blue-grey posterior, white to light blue hair. Lava: black to red eyes, orange to orange-red anterior, red to dark red posterior, orange to dark red hair. Silt: red-brown to dark grey eyes, red-brown to grey-blue anterior, dark grey-brown to slate grey posterior, red-brown to slate grey hair. Smoke: all shades of grey eyes, white to light grey anterior, grey to dark grey posterior, white to dark grey hair. Orcs of mixed lineage typically have hair and posterior pigmentation of one parent, and the eyes and anterior pigmentation of the other.
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild