Session 40 - July 25, 2019 Report
World Date Fall, Second Moon, Lamlar (8th Day)
- The party now makes the decision about what to do about the pyramids, where to enter and how Jared and the camels will do now that they are at their journey's seeming end.
- The party explores the areas around the pyramids, the larger one is 700 ft on each side and the smaller one is 450 ft on each side. The larger one has no door, but the smaller one has a 10 ft by 10 ft door that faces south.
- The golem, Tim, seems to have healed a bit for the fight with the air elementals.
- While observing, Roth rolls a natural 20 and sees the larger pyramid giving off heat and a small one is not. This roll by Roth is high enough to show a small opening at the top of each pyramid where there is either a space for air or entry/exit.
- The rest of the party is able to see the heat rising off the larger pyramid, but not Scarlett, who Merry convinces that the pyramid has pie. Merry is very persuasive. Scarlett is now looking for pie the entire time inside the pyramid.
- The party goes to the door on the south side of the smaller pyramid and reads the inscription above the door. It reads in Celestial (Roth, John and Merry can read) "The journey of humility will lead to greatness".
- The door is latched, and there seems to be a trap in the floor, but not locked. Roth uses Mage Hand to open the door and then shows the party where not to step on the thresh hold.
- Looking down the tunnel, it is dark, without any light, and 10 ft wide and 10 ft tall. The group sees a 60ft tunnel that leads down to a T intersection, with the option to go left or right.
- The group then decides to leave the Golem at the door to the pyramid to make sure the door does not close behind them while the party, with John, explores the pyramid.
- After deciding to explore the pyramid, the party goes left at the initial entrance, and maps the various areas of the maze, realizing that there is a perimeter path around the interior of the pyramid.
- During this first search, the party sees some bats, finds a pile of dust that was likely once a person and do not see any traps. Scarlett and Merry are still talking about pie, and Scarlett now thinks peaches grow in the dessert, and Ari really wants pie after casting a spell to make it smell like pie.
- After completing that first circuit of the interior of the pyramid, the party decides to explore the interior sections of the pyramid, as the ground is level and the party expected the ground to slope down, but it did not on the exterior path. The golem is still left outside at the door. It is around 11 am.
- As the party starts to explore the interior, with Roth and Branwen helping scout ahead, they slowly head towards what they think is the center, they run into two Mummies. They kill them and get 2 potions, some diamonds, and a wand.
- After a little discussion on the ways to handle the dead or undead with Roth and Baeshra, the party takes the two heads of the mummies, and Scarlett heals Baeshra, who took a strong hit from a mummy.
- The party takes another 20-30 mins to explore, finding a wall with beetles, and then deciding to take a short rest around noon for lunch.
- Roth and Baeshra then talk about what Roth knows about beetles and how they appear in the lore of the Celestial books that Roth read. They take the two skulls and give them to the beetle who attack them.
- The search continues through the tunnels, when the party eventually finds the center chamber of the pyramid. The room is 50 ft by 70 ft and lit from a stream of sunlight, likely the opening Roth saw earlier.
- The room is decorated the painted murals, some in relief and some not, all the paintings done in blue, green, with animals, river, hills, and people. Strangely, there is no desserts shown in the murals. The party stops just outside the door, and pause before entering.
- In the center of the room is a large stone sarcophagus.
Potion of greater healing Potion of fire breath wand of detect magic 5 diamonds each worth 25gp