2021 Manifold Sky Roadmap
2020 is in the trash and 2021 is now upon us! In preparation for the year ahead, I'm taking this opportunity to lay out a flexible roadmap for the creative work I'd like to get done over the coming 12 months. Since this roadmap isn't tied to any event in particular, consider this article preliminary as of its first publishing date; items may be added in the near future as I get a better sense of what remains to be done. As I accomplish projects related to the roadmap, I will come back and update any titles with article text or block links. I'm hoping that this will help me remain accountable to these goals. Anyways, without further ado, let's get into the details!
The Garbage Man ArcThe goal of my articles related to The Garbage Man has been to turn these ideas into a full-length (~100,000 words) novel which can make it through the publishing process. For the last several years, one of my New Year's resolutions has boiled down to "this is the year I get published!" 2021 is no different, but I do feel closer than ever to finally following through. I'm giving this goal my top priority this year! Ideally, this novel would be followed with an exclusive content document which would allow readers to use the story as a roadmap for RPG adventures in the proprietary BCGR tabletop roleplaying system. Players with both documents would be able to directly participate in the adventures of Angela Foxglove, Feumont Atsuhi, the crew of the PPH Canopy, and The Garbage Man himself as they struggle to determine the fate of the Manifold Sky, plumb the deadly secrets of the Glass-Block Fortress, and discover the truth of the Celestial Realms and the The Curved Time which predated them. A fully-fledged campaign setting book for the Manifold Sky setting is ideally in the future as well, though this will likely have to be a project for 2022 and beyond - the BCGR system itself is in closed beta at the moment, and that has to be published before (or in tandem with) a full campaign setting.
- Plot synopsis (generic article; private)
- PPH Canopy (vehicle)
- Bixby "Bix" Hickory (character)
- Zekiel Kade (character)
- Sisi Alveu
- Manuscript Title - 'The Garbage Man Arc' is only a working title as of yet; part of the journey will be coming up with a title which captures the readers' interest without giving too much away.
- Worldbuilding integration - How will I include enough worldbuilding to make the Manifold Sky immersive without turning it into walls of text and/or leaving the reader needlessly confused?
- Flight of the PPH Canopy (map)
- (Title pending) - Untitled full-length novel about The Garbage Man's quest to overturn the order of the world, the quest of Parasol Private Holdings and the Hive City Royals to defeat them, and the discovery of the true nature of the Manifold Sky setting.
- (Title pending) Adventures - A series of BCGR adventure modules based on the aforementioned full-length novel.
The Guilde GazetteThe Guild Gazette was a project idea originating all the way back in August of 2020. Originally, it was intended to be semi-regular project (perhaps weekly?) designed to put out a constant stream of storytelling and worldbuilding content. In 2021, assuming my other projects get done before the end of the year, I'd like to revisit this concept in earnest. To do this, I will have to meet several requirements:
- I will have to set a 'deadline' for articles.
- I will have to set a standard for length and style of content. This may require a degree of additional research, as I have little experience with a journalistic style of writing- indeed, learning a new writing style is part of the project's appeal.
- I will have to establish one or more characters with different writing voices to be the 'narrator' of these articles. It would likely break immersion if I, as the dashing gentleman-professional behind the keyboard in meatspace, came through on content that supposedly takes place within my own fictional universe. These characters would, by necessity, have to be connected to the Navigator's Guild in general and The Guild Gazette in particular, though they can otherwise be of any race or national origin within the Manifold.
- I will have to make a title bar. As a corollary, this may have to change once Guild Pidgin (and, by extension, all the other major languages contributing to it) are more fleshed out with regard to their written forms.
- I will have to decide if other content (i.e. editorials, comics) will be included and when. These may turn up later, as some may require the development of new skills on my part (i.e. hand illustration), but that's a question for the future.
Exclusive ContentAs some of you may know, I have a set of exclusive content for followers on Patreon or individuals in my real-life social group. Most of this content relates to BCGR rules for playing tabletop roleplaying games set in the universe of the Manifold Sky. While most of this is not visible to the public, certain aspects of it (i.e. the MartMart International price list) are visible and in dire need of maintenance. To keep up with this, I need to work on the following this year:
- Update the Exclusive Content Guide and keep it up to date as new articles are created.
- Update the table shown in the Manifold Market category to reflect new additions (i.e. WorldEmber 2020 artices) and keep it up to date as new articles are created.
- Create a stat block template for use on all items with BCGR statistics and apply it to articles which currently contain BCGR statistics.
- Increase the number of articles overall which have relevant BCGR statistics.