May the winds of the Forest Father guide you.
Oak Father, Forest Father, Treefather
Silvanus, known as the Oak Father, is a deity of nature and the wild world; dwelling in Tir na Og, the Celtic realm, alone in a place full of dense vegetation. He understands that people must hunt, grow food, and fashion clothing and shelter and is not interested with merely preserving the wilderness untouched and unspoiled. Rather, Silvanus seeks to maintain wilderness as home to as many plants, animals, and creatures as possible. If some creatures must die to support the others, so be it. If, however, some of the inhabitants despoil or taint the land, he grows angry and those who angered him will witness the true capabilities of natures wrath. Silvanus believes in the preservation and balance of nature. He is one of the most observational and detached gods, yet quite philosophical, believing that one should examine the whole situation of things, rather than resorting to the most efficient or popular solution. He is an environmentalist, believing that all forms of nature should be preserved and any attempts to destroy nature must be vigorously opposed. Most of his followers work to preserve Balance between all opposing forces outside of nature too.
Nature: Animal, Plant, Protection, Renewal, and Water
Divine Symbols & Sigils
Tenets of Faith
- Silvanus saw and balanced all, meting out wild water and drought, fire and ice, life and death.
- Hold your distance and take in the total situation, rather than latching on to the popular idea of what is best. All is in cycle, deftly and beautifully balanced. It is the duty of the devout to see this cycle and the sacred Balance as clearly as possible.
- Make others see the Balance and work against those that would disturb it.
- Watch, anticipate, and quietly manipulate.
- Resort to violence and open confrontation only when pressured by time or hostile action.
- Fight against the felling of forests, banish disease wherever you find it, defend the trees, and plant new flora wherever possible.
General Physical Condition
Silvanus appears to mortals most commonly as a withered, timeworn, bearded man, usually levitating amongst scenes of nature, like trees, possibly springing from an old, large oak tree. As the Young Strider, however, he appears as a long-limbed young man covered in an armor made of oak leaves. He carries an enchanted maul hammer, "The Great Mallet of Silvanus", and mauls are his clergy's favored weapon.