The Order of Light and Shadow was founded around the year 2908 TC by a group of shed bearers who were confronted with the Wheel of Fate during the first wars between the newly founded city-states of Eivrune.
This experience - and the fact that not much was known about the Wheel of Fate - brought them and the world itself a good deal closer to their doom. When the war ended, the Scalebearers swore a binding oath to find out all they could about the Wheel of Fate and prevent the end of the world.
It would take 20 years for the Order to find a place that could serve as headquarters and base for their research. It was only after the completion of Raven's Keep that the shed bearers could start collecting all the myths about the Wheel and the World Dragon, which led them to all corners of the world. Until the Dragon Wars in 1203 TH, the castle remained the centre and base of the Order, with the land of Salarin being considered the dominion of the Order.
During this long period, the members of the order dedicated themselves to their mission and also carried out the research, especially in the magical fields. Especially when the portals were built and the worlds were connected for the first time, the order had to keep up with the times.
The first really hard blow was when the World Dragon of Immordia died in the war against the mana-eaters and made the portals unstable. The ritual that followed required members of the order on all worlds, which remained cut off from Andrawyn afterwards.
During the following centuries, the order was repeatedly reduced by natural disasters, wars and plagues, so that at the time of the Dragon Wars, only about 200 members were available on Andrawyn.
When the Dragon Wars began, the Order took its children, especially the young Scalebearers, to safety and for their protection took away any memory of what they had seen. Then the adult Scalesbearers and each member of the Order marched under arms into the devastating final battle, which lasted a full three days. When the dust had settled, no scalebearer nor one of the members of the order was left alive.
Since the Order was considered extinct and Salarin could no longer count as safe territory, Drachenruh
and the other cities that had been severely damaged by the war were also abandoned. For four centuries, the land lay fallow, until only the worst of the horrors surrounded it, and the abandoned buildings were inhabited by goblins, goblins and worse.
Only around 1580 TH, in search of adventure, did scalebearers return to Saradin and decide to repopulate the land. Within the walls of the castle, they encountered not only terrible enemies but also the knowledge and records of the order. They decided to revive the order and to carry out its original tasks.
To this day, the Order is rebuilt by light and shadow and continues to carry out its tasks. Only a few months ago, the youngest scalebearers discovered the old portal rooms - and some active portals.