TJ's Summer Camp 2023 Pledge
Planning out some broad ideas to chisel away at with the upcoming prompts!
Interactive WhiteboardClick the button on the top right to change the zoom level.
(I can't figure out how to get it to load with an initial zoom level)
Spring cleaningI've had a bit of a tidy up of my world's categories and the way I structure my global table of contents, and in doing so I decided that I want to work on a new area of my world this year (last year it was the continent of Anvil).
Reflecting on my MetaI reviewed my meta page to remind myself of the overall themes and goals of my worldbuilding - all seems fine and I'm good to continue! I will review my meta page again before the best event of the year which is, of course, WorldEmber.
Prompt IdeasThese are some ideas within the continent of Rengia that I might be able to explore for the themes of Summer Camp this year (I may shuffle things around as each theme is revealed):
Theme 1: POWER
- Many countries here are neither being aligned to the Commonwealth or the Jolundrian Empire. Why? What's the history?
- The mountain range has volcanic activity. Lots of natural power in the area, and hard rocks that need powerful tools to harvest or utilise.
- Earthquakes and tidal waves are more common on the SE coast. Power from destructive natural forces - can they be harnessed?
- Egwa is the most populated country because it's closest to Xendria and has lots of trade there.
- Which are the wealthiest trading companies/guilds in Egwa?
- How is the region governed?
- Who is one of the most powerful individuals in the region?
- The middle area is largely uninhabited due to difficult terrain and dangerous wildlife.
- How is law enforced in the region? What are the laws like?
- How has the introduction of magic shifted the balance of power in different demographics?
Theme 2: FRONTIER
- Have any of the wild central regions of Rengia been tamed? By whom and how?
- What's the largest peak in the region? Has it been scaled? Why is it so challenging?
- What regions are in conflict? Is there an active warzone area?
- Which area has never been traversed before? Why?
- How many rifts are in this region and what realms/areas do they open up to?
- How has the introduction of magic expanded what is possible with technology?
- What new inventions have come to the region and how is it affecting balance?
- What things (species, cultures, languages, traditions) feel threatened by new stuff?
- Who as a person is facing their fears and trying something new or uncertain?
- What forms of military are the first lines of defence for a country in the region?
Theme 3: RELICS
- Museum of many things
- Oldest dated discovery so far?
- Historical timeline of events in a region that left behind many relics
- Treasure/loot hoard
- Weapons, ammunition, personal trinkets left behind on battlefield
- Ruined buildings - how were they lost?
- A person who is so old they're considered a living relic
- A creature or plant that's really old and somehow still alive today
- A super ancient tradition that dates back to a very very very long time ago
- A bizarre historical find that no one knows what it actually is (or was)
Theme 4: COMMUNICATION
- How does the postal service work? Who can use it? Cost? Who delivers messages? How far?
- How do people talk about difficult or sensitive topics like trauma, death, taboo, shame, fear/phobias, diseases/conditions, relationships, or sex?
- How reliable are different forms of communication? What security measures do they have?
- A secretive method of communicating - who makes use of it?
- Visual languages and the connotations of shapes, materials, and colours
- A dead or dying language? A language that has a unique feature to it?
- Reading/listening to the language of nature
- Laws, contracts, and legally binding documents
- Expression in communication: painting, pottery, sculpture, song, dance, and written word
- Methods of recording communication, printing, writing, books, carving, casting
RESOURCESI've been writing up some handy guides on my blog to help you with the upcoming prompts this summer camp (no matter what they'll be)!
- How to answer any worldbuilding prompt using the 6 Questions method
- How to twist a prompt to suit your worldbuilding