Using the stars, the position of the sun, traits of the geography or flora, or the behavior of fauna, you can stay oriented in the wild.
Typically, you attempt a Survival check only once per day, but some environments or changes might necessitate rolling more often. The GM determines the DC and how long this activity takes (usually just a minute or so). More unusual locales or those you’re unfamiliar with might require you to have a minimum proficiency rank to Sense Direction. Without a compass, you take a –2 item penalty to checks to Sense Direction.
Degrees of Performance
- Critical Success You get an excellent sense of where you are. If you are in an environment with cardinal directions, you know them exactly.
- Success You gain enough orientation to avoid becoming hopelessly lost. If you are in an environment with cardinal directions, you have a sense of those directions.
- Untrained determine a cardinal direction using the sun.
- Trained find an overgrown path in a forest.
- Expert navigate a hedge maze.
- Master navigate a byzantine labyrinth or relatively featureless desert
- Legendary navigate an ever-changing dream realm.