All participants will receive the participation badge. The winner will receive an extra shiny badge, have their article featured, and will be shouted out on the weekly World Anvil update stream
and on the official World Anvil social media accounts.
The WebDM will also be throwing in an assortment of Shirts, Dice, and even a Dice Tower to the winner!
World Anvil and the WebDM want you to design a mage tower or mage’s lair in your world. If you have no magic in your world, you could choose the tower or lair of another powerful or important figure in your world.
Tell us the history of this monument, sell the tower's fame or infamy, make a short narrative perhaps? Use the maps systems and give us examples of its architecture! Tell us opinions from those who see the tower in their everyday life! What happens in the tower? Is it a mystery what arts or practices take place, or does it serve a well-known purpose to everyone?
Bonus points for a map of your tower!
What to cover
- Legacy: When was the tower built? How was it built? What additions or renovations have been made over time? Did it play part in any significant events?
- Ownership: Was the Tower inherited over generations, or has a single owner ruled over it since its construction? What is the owner known for?
- Architecture: What features makes the tower memorable? Was it inspired by any legends? Is it meant to force any specific emotions? What features spark those emotions?
- Impression: What do others think of the tower? Is it a symbol of hope or despair? Quotes and opinions are a great way to describe what makes a tower truly special!
How to Enter
Firstly, all competitors will need a World Anvil account
(don’t worry, it’s free!) to get started. Once you’ve logged in and created your first world, you’re ready to enter the competition.
Write your entry using the Landmark/Building template on World Anvil. Once you have finished your entry and are ready to submit it, make sure that your article is not a draft and then click on the button on the right hand side to submit it to the challenge.
Adjudication Criteria and Process
A shortlist of the top five entries from each league (as organised by community likes) will be given to WebDM team to judged by Wed 27 Feb 2019. Together they will choose the winner. The winner will be announced by the WebDM team later in 2019 in a special YouTube Live Stream, and via the World Anvil and WebDM social media accounts
Entries will be judged on a number of criteria, including originality, cohesiveness and internal logic, and how interactive the tower or lair is. (Use Maps or Diagrams!)
- Articles for Submission must use the Landmark/Building Template
- You do not have to use all fields of the Landmark/Building Template
- Articles must be submitted before the closing time, else they will not be judged
- Articles will be taken from a shortlist of likes, the top five articles from each league will be judged by WebDM.
- Articles can be no longer than 1500 words in length!
- You will be able to submit your article only if it is public!
- Only one article may be submitted per author, this does not mean one article per world. Think of the Coauthors!
- Articles will have a three day period after the deadline to make small edits, share, and get feedback from the community. This period will end when the shortlist is compiled. The purpose of this deadline is to let people focus on writing and sharing separately.
Social media sharing
Because community likes are an important part of the competition, competitors may wish to share their entries on social media to garner more interest from the community. Entries which are tagged with #TowerPower and mention @WorldAnvil and @WebDMshow will get shared by World Anvil and WebDM social media accounts.
There are two
leagues that will be independently judged. The Regular and the Premier League. The Premier League consists of all the authors who have previously won a competition.
Winning a competition in the regular league will promote you to the Premier League for future challenges.
For February's Competition, it will be open on the 13th of February at 1300 GMT and closed on the 23rd at 2359 GMT. The Shortlist will be compiled on the 26th of February!
This Countdown Clock is set to when the Challenge will end!